Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Where the heck are the coyotes?

Default Where the heck are the coyotes?

Is anybody else snaring coyotes in the parkland/farm country? Would like to compare notes if there is. We did pretty well in the 1st month, almost one a day on average. Since the weather warmed up, it seems the yotes have gone to sleep. Sure not taking bait, anyway. What little snow we had has melted, which don't help either, and of course the prey species are easy for them to catch. The gophers are still out, for gosh sakes!
Old 12-12-2002, 01:27 AM
Rob

Hey furball catcher,

Having the same problem near Genesee.
No snow is making it aweful tough to set snares and the ones I do have up just aren't producing right now. Hopefully some colder weather will get them 'yotes moving a little bit. I don't think they have much reason to do anything other than roam the field edges and pounce on mice - or white rabbits standing out like sore thumbs.

Need some cold weather!!

Rob
Old 12-12-2002, 09:38 AM
coyotes and white rabbits

Default coyotes and white rabbits

Hi Rob -

Glad to hear someone else is out there catching. I think you're right; cold weather or snow will move them. Even a front moving through would help. About half of my snares are trail sets, the rest on bait stations. Neither one is producing.
Don't those bunnies look goofy? There they sit in their forms, thinking they are invisible. I'm sure you're right about it making them easy pickin's.
What size of cable do you prefer? I'm using both 1/16 and 3/32, they both have their place, I think. The 1/16 seems to fire a bit quicker, though.
Gotta go run the line, hoping for a good pull this morning.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:13 AM
Rob

Default Re: coyotes and white rabbits

Hey furball catcher,

I use both but mostly 3/32. The 1/16 I use when there is little in the way of camouflage and I don't need a long leash. You are right though, by my estimation the 1/16 close up faster and tighter - a big 'yote might cause some damage to the snare though, not sure, but I've had some 3/32s twisted pretty good and was grateful I didn't have a 1/16. I do use both though.

Good luck and hope the weather turns.

Rob
Old 01-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Coyote hunting

Default Coyote hunting

Hi there, I've just recently discovered coyote hunting, and I'm hooked. I usually go out East of Ponoka (there's lots out there!) I started Christmas Eve and I got a nice sized coyote. But I've been out 3 or 4 times since then and haven't seen/heard a thing. I've been using the same call (Knight and Hale, cottontail) but I have seen diddly. I went out last Friday to a buddy's house and there was trackes everywhere from them. We called in the morning and in the late afternoon, but we didnt see a thing. We had lots of magpies, but no dogs. Any suggestions? Am I doing anything wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:37 AM
Rob

Default Re: Coyote hunting

Hey Nate,

I've heard the same from several others and the general consensus appears to be the weather. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Cold weather gets ALL animals moving including coyotes.

If it gets colder and stays that way for awhile, I'll bet your luck changes.

Rob
Old 01-09-2003, 12:51 PM
Re: Coyote hunting

Default Re: Coyote hunting

Sweet. thanks for the help!! Greatly appreciated!!