Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-01-2016, 08:30 AM

Default Teaching kids today

Got a chance to go in and teach a few classes about trapping today ages around 7-9. The just finished studying the fur trade.
What kinds of things should I talk about?
Was thinking about all the anti trapping hype and wanted to teach them something so they can see why trapping is important and not as cruel as they may hear about later in life by people that are not in the know.
Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Not sure if I am a teacher or not but I have an opportunity to win a few kids over I hope.
Taking some tanned fur in as well as some older and modern traps and teach them a bit of the trap standards as well.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:34 AM

Make it interesting for the age group and don't get into the technical stuff, they don't care
I'd focus on the no suffering part and how by only taking a certain number each year we keep it sustainable. But in a fun way ! lol
Old 06-01-2016, 08:47 AM

Talk about why and what you love about it. Your excitement will show through then and that's what grabs kids. Talk about being in the wilderness, figuring out where different animals live and what attracts them. Show some different tracks, etc.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:55 AM

Talk to the ATA, I think they have kits that they make available for these types of opportunities....
Old 06-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Gone Hunting

Don't say anything about gorillas.

I've done a few classes, but the kids were older. Like was said, not to technical, and tell them the benefits from population control, disease control etc.
Throw in how much fun it is and how fur is processed.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 AM

Talk about your life on the Trap line, your cabins etc. Paint them a picture of what it's like to be out there in the cold and snow. Maybe talk about how trapping is important to managing wildlife, etc.

Make it fun. Ask lots of questions from these students and take your lead from them.

BW
Old 06-01-2016, 09:53 AM

I've spent all morning on this so far lol Found this which you all may want to read as well
http://www.businessinsider.com/casto...erfume-2013-10
Old 06-01-2016, 10:21 AM

keep it simple lots of visual, pictures, tanned hides ,skulls, traps old and new
explain about humane trapping wildlife management population control kids have very active minds they will leave you no what really intrests them
Be prepared to answer some tough questions
have fun you will do good
Old 06-01-2016, 11:43 AM

I used to volunteeer and go into classrooms and give 2 hour trapping presentations to the grade 4 and 5 kids when they studied the fur trade. I have presented to about 500 kids in many classrooms.

You have to be very careful what you say and show. There are many parents out there that are dead against trapping and will become vocal if they question what you are sharing. Remember these are kids ... they don't want to learn about trapping standards and it may not be appropriate for a kid's presentation setting. Ask the teacher what they might like you to talk about too.

Knowledge about how the historical fur trade worked in Alberta is good to share and some of the present day trapping laws as well as some personal stories of life on the line.

You have to be careful again about being to graphic. Some kids (and parents) will be mad at you for trapping and you should be prepared for some hot questions. Carefull how you answer. A few adults and parents may be present and taking notes.

I know you have lots of pics from the line but be very careful what you show in class as far as traps and gear.

I also used to take along a full collection of tanned Alberta furs for the kids to handle at the end of the presentation.

I guess mostly you have to entertain without offending. There may be some kids that will be crying and heartbroken that you catch animals too. And there will be others that want to go trapping tomorrow. And there may be one or two that have dad's of uncle's that trap and will challenge what you are saying.

Contact the fur management branch of F&W to get any and all written brochures and publications to be able to hand them out to the kids.

Don't be suprised if a F&W offical doesn't show up to listen and see what you are presenting. Trapping is a very sensitive subject. They came to one of my presentations and then contacted me to become an instructor of fur management.

By giving presentation on this topic you are becoming a steward and representative of today's trappers.

Have fun and good luck.

If you want further advice you can PM or phone me.

Red
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 06-01-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Banned

Good on you Nube! The one thing that immediately came to mind for me was explaining that Trappers maintain healthy animal populations in the wild and trap the surplus animals that the habitat can't support. The manual has an interesting description using a container of water to represent the habitat and water to represent fur bearers. You fill the container to capacity with water and that represents a healthy population that the habitat can support and as you add more water and the container begins to overflow, the overflow represents the surplus animal population that would die naturally as a result of over population and the fur bearers that Trappers target.

I think that it is a great, easy to understand, visual presentation that explains the science behind trapping well.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

Knowledge about how the historical fur trade worked in Alberta is good to share and some of the present day trapping laws as well as some personal stories of life on the line.
good point. Kids in elementary school learn about the Hudson's Bay Company, etc in Canadian history. Ask the teacher what they have covered on that front. You could build on it.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:49 PM

Well, the update is it went real well. Kids didn't have too tough of questions. Teacher was real good as well to recap a few of the important things I talked about especially about humane trapping and the different reasons for why we need trappers. I talked about Predation and problem wildlife, managing an area and the wildlife on a registered line and Disease. I talked about my kids and enjoyint nature and the outdoors and why I trap including enjoying nature, the excersise, helping people with wildlife issues and the financial side of it. Also talked about respect for animals and how trapping practices have changed and showed them past and present traps and went over humane trapping. Also talked about how animals are used for more than the fur and talked about Castor and what it has and still is used for. I was in there for 45 min and it went well I think. The teacher asked the kids after what they learned and most talked about the animal furs but some talked about some of the important stuff I mentioned and the teacher reiterated most of that important stuff as well before the close of it all. I think it was well done and was happy to have taught the kids a few things
Old 06-01-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
good point. Kids in elementary school learn about the Hudson's Bay Company, etc in Canadian history. Ask the teacher what they have covered on that front. You could build on it.
I actually started by asking them if the fur trade was in the past or still going on today. %95 said in the past. That helped get into a discussion on wy there is still trapping today and why it is needed still and why it still continues
Old 06-01-2016, 01:55 PM

nice work!
Old 06-01-2016, 02:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Well Done! Education is the answer. So much opinion iis formed from media fantasy, it's good to get some hands on.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-01-2016, 03:39 PM

Good job, sounds like you might of learned a little something as well!

BW
Old 06-01-2016, 06:13 PM

great job

1 Wolf
Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Banned

Good job Nube!
Old 06-02-2016, 08:59 AM

Default trapping education

Good job, Nube. Hopefully, you carry on with this, as a lot of us are not cut out to be good speakers and get our points the way they should be.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:49 PM

28 years ago I got to help my grandfather do a class in the school I went too .... he brought traps all kinds and snares some hides ... he even skinned and fleshed a beaver..... it was fun to kill the afternoon helping him .... lol
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-02-2016, 03:00 PM

Sounds like it went very well. I'm now waiting for Nube to report the one hysterical complaint from an overwrought parent aghast that her child was exposed to such criminal behavior. LOL There's always ONE.

But congrats on a good job.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:51 AM

yup always one and I feel sorry for that kid for he will grow up so close minded from being taught that from his parents... sad
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-03-2016, 12:45 PM

Nice Job Nube, Those kids will remember more than you think and if you reached a few of them it is well worth it. Keep it up, Kids are great, Its some of the parents I worry about.LOL
Old 06-13-2016, 09:23 AM

So my five year old cornered me today and asked when can we start trapping. Now I used to run some coyote and rabbit snares way back when but that was years ago (about 19). What would you folks recommend just take him to snare some rabbits and squirrels for the pot see if the interest sticks. I have access to a bit of land. Sign up for a course? Just curious. Any info would be appreciated.