Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-07-2016, 01:20 PM

Default bowhunting bow of choice

anyone have any veiws on the best bow today for hunting with..been out of the scene for a few years and looking to get back into it....looking for top quality equipment, any opinions would be helpfull....
Old 02-07-2016, 01:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbysouthpaw View Post
anyone have any veiws on the best bow today for hunting with..been out of the scene for a few years and looking to get back into it....looking for top quality equipment, any opinions would be helpfull....
Traditional bow?
Compound bow?
Crossbow?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Banned

I'll save you a ton of back and forth bickering over who's bow is best. There is no answer to your question that anyone here besides you can answer.

Your only option is to go to a few different archery shops and shoot the ones that get your attention. In all honesty, there are tons of bows out there that fit your quandary, it all depends on how it fits you. With such varying draw curves on all bows, it really boils down to you particular body type. Some cams build up at the top of the draw curve, some in the middle, and some at the bottom, your body uses different muscled throughout the draw curve, so one guys "smooth draw" might not be someone else's. After the comfort factor is settled, the next things to look for would be noise, speed, and weight, and the best way to figure them out is to go to the shop and shoot them.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:30 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I'll save you a ton of back and forth bickering over who's bow is best. There is no answer to your question that anyone here besides you can answer.

Your only option is to go to a few different archery shops and shoot the ones that get your attention. In all honesty, there are tons of bows out there that fit your quandary, it all depends on how it fits you. With such varying draw curves on all bows, it really boils down to you particular body type. Some cams build up at the top of the draw curve, some in the middle, and some at the bottom, your body uses different muscled throughout the draw curve, so one guys "smooth draw" might not be someone else's. After the comfort factor is settled, the next things to look for would be noise, speed, and weight, and the best way to figure them out is to go to the shop and shoot them.
OP still has not said what type of bow he/she is looking for hunting with.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-07-2016, 05:51 PM

Like a rifle. It's the one that's fits you best.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:49 PM

Default bowhunting bow

Go to as many bowshops as you can. Talk to the people and try as many bows as you can. Then narrow it down to what felt good to you and go from there. Don't be in too big a rush and take all the advice with a grain of salt as there are a lot of great bows made now and what feels best for you is most important.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

Pretty much sums it up right here. ^^
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-08-2016, 06:15 PM

What Kurt505 said. Although you can save time and just get a bowtech from the beginning because that's what you'll end up with.
Hahahaha, I normally try not to start that kind of messing with people but I guess I'm just in the mood to start the bickering before someone can beat me to it.

But seriously, if you're looking into compound bows, what Kurt505 said is bang on. Personally I would place more emphasis on being quiet and vibration free before I considered the speed. As many here can attest to, the bow will pick you. You'll know what you like most and not everybody likes the same bow the most. Go to a reputable pro shop and they'll be more help than we can over the internet

Enjoy the shopping! It's fun to try before you buy
Old 02-08-2016, 10:55 PM

im interested in compound bows, looking for quiet and over 315fps,,,thanks for the info thus far
Old 02-08-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbysouthpaw View Post
im interested in compound bows, looking for quiet and over 315fps,,,thanks for the info thus far
IBO over 315? Or hunting arrow over 315? What is your draw length and what weight of arrow do you plan on shooting?

Very few hunting setups are over 315+ unless you have a long draw length.

LC
Old 02-08-2016, 11:38 PM

Mathews z7 extreme, there is no greater hunting bow. everything else is opinion.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Mathews z7 extreme, there is no greater hunting bow. everything else is opinion.
^I think that right there is a perfect example of an opinion.... My opinion is significantly different.

Abby, the more information you can gather from Kurt, Cat and others before heading to a shop, the better prepared you will be. Try them all.

J.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
IBO over 315? Or hunting arrow over 315? What is your draw length and what weight of arrow do you plan on shooting?

Very few hunting setups are over 315+ unless you have a long draw length.

LC
X2...Try as many breeds as you can ..let the bow pick you..you will know when you hold and shoot it...its very important for comfort and form to have a bow with your exact draw...

Neil