Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-02-2016, 05:58 PM

Default Peep or No peep?

Hey I'm new to archery and need some advise. I picked up a PSE prophecy last year used and started shooting on my own with no direction. I was relatively impressed on how I could shoot, some might not be as impressed lol. The peep on the PSE was a cheap one with a rubber tube. The site fell out after about a month. I then met a guy at work who I would consider the best archer I know or have ever come across. He has helped me out immensely. The issue is he convinced me not to put a peep back in but use a kisser button alone. Him and his buddies do this and can shoot unbelievably well and consistent up to 80y or so. I seem to struggle with being consistent! He tells me I have to keep shooting until putting the bow up and having it in the same position becomes a natural action. He says once I accomplish this I will never want a peep again as it is so beneficial in low light. I was getting impatient with that reasoning at the end of last season. Is this common to shoot with no peep site? Should I ride it out?
Old 02-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Banned

If it were me, I'd have a peep in there, at least until you develop proper, repeatable form.

I used to shoot my compound bow instinctively, no sight, no peep, just a kisser button and I shot it incredibly well, but I went to sights and then a sight with a peep and lost the kisser button. I'm no pro, but I shoot fairly good using a peep and sight. Some guys use a "no peep" system and like those too. It's all what you're used to I guess. If you find you're not as accurate as you want to be, don't try and be cool, do what works best for you.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:24 PM

I'm with Kurt. Put a peep in and learn to shoot, find that familiarity and become proficient. Down the road once you have things figured out then pull the peep out and give it a whirl. As Kurt mentioned there are aides you can install to facilitate not using a peep sight in your string.

Norm
Old 02-03-2016, 08:50 AM

I've removed my peep and become a better shooter, but that may be just as much to do with practicing more and focusing on form more because of necessity. If I put a peep back in, I might see some more improvement again. Hard to say. I don't intend on putting it back in for simplicity while hunting. A few more minutes in low light and nothing going to twist on me. I practice way beyond I would shoot while hunting so it works for me. I'm considering trying an anchor sight but don't feel it's crucial so haven't spent the coin on it.
Probably best to do what works for you to improve.

Edit: not sure what autocorrect was thinking when replacing simplicity with Slocum
Old 02-03-2016, 09:48 AM

Peeps are benifical, and a must for some. however many can shoot as well or better without one once mastered...

I dont use a peep, there were just too many Murphy's law issues for my liking with hunting, the key for shooting without peep is a kisser and two other solid anchor points...I use string close to face and release hand firmly under ear and in jaw...

I have shot two triple hoods without a peep, so saying a peep is more accurate is a missconception and not always the rule...

There are many shooters that have eye dominant issues such as shooting right handed and eyes are "ambidextrous" with near equal "dominant" eye's
or some even with slightly left eye dominace...in both cases eyes will fight for dominace...this is where a peep is most beneficial as it make bow hand eye dominant...

without a peep the shooter's sight line is on right side of string...in between cable and strings...once drawn string and cable cannot or will not be seen, and a wide open view to target is seen

Many make the mistake of trying to sight too close or even thru string where string will cause blurred target issues...

If your having issues with accuracy by all means put in a peep, if accuracy doesnt improve look for other shooting form or tune issues... if accuracy does improve your a peep shooter.

Neil

Neil