Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-02-2016, 08:13 AM

Default Efoc arrows

Was on a post the other day that said the more foc you have the quicker the arrow nose dives.

Built a arrow with 27% and an arrow at 13%. At 20 yards the 27% shot 7/8 higher. But I have two different fletchings. The 27% has 2 in and the 13% has 4 in. Going to remove the fletchings and add tape to get the arrows to match in weight. Not sure that drag may be part of the different in heights. At 20 yards I would have thought they would be equal. Then retest.

All shots are from a hooter shooter.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:11 PM

If exact same spine and length...interesting!!!
What is your formula for FOC ...are you including finished length with heads??? etc

Neil
Old 02-02-2016, 02:32 PM

Default Efoc

Everything I've tried to understand about this says that total weight matters but where the weight is doesn't. Planes are made with Efoc and they glide well. It might look like its flying nose down but apparently it doesn't matter and your experiment seems to bear that out.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:38 PM

Default Efoc

Actually come to think of it O.L. Adcock made several world records with his longbow design and Efoc arrows and teenytiny little fletchings. A well tuned arrow with enough FOC doesn't need much stabilisation.

This really is all old news to the trad shooters though, we've been doing this stuff for a long time. Compound shooters just think that if trad guys do it then the laws of physics don't apply to wheelie bows
Old 02-02-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
If exact same spine and length...interesting!!!
What is your formula for FOC ...are you including finished length with heads??? etc

Neil
I use the amo method Tip not included
Old 02-02-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Actually come to think of it O.L. Adcock made several world records with his longbow design and Efoc arrows and teenytiny little fletchings. A well tuned arrow with enough FOC doesn't need much stabilisation.

This really is all old news to the trad shooters though, we've been doing this stuff for a long time. Compound shooters just think that if trad guys do it then the laws of physics don't apply to wheelie bows
I believe in efoc for my wheelie bow. But I had some people tell my efoc arrows nose dive and this is why efoc arrows are no good. I'm just going to test and see.

I believe efoc arrows will out perform but if I'm going to tell people I need to see it for my self. Not just repeat what I read.

Plus I just enjoy testing things. Helps with the stress

Last edited by Enewman; 02-02-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enewman View Post
I believe in efoc for my wheelie bow. But I had some people tell my efoc arrows nose dive and this is why efoc arrows are no good. I'm just going to test and see.

I believe efoc arrows will out perform but if I'm going to tell people I need to see it for my self. Not just repeat what I read.
What is your effective/max range thou...if out to 40-50yds your benefit...
If past 50yds Murphys law and laws of physics says those arrows are going to meet the earth fast...
So will a EFOC have more KE at past 50yds than a 7-15% FOC arrow...
And so if both arrows pass thru said animal hunted and both meet the earth again ...will the small FOC win because it hit first???...lol

Neil
Old 02-02-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
What is your effective/max range thou...if out to 40-50yds your benefit...
If past 50yds Murphys law and laws of physics says those arrows are going to meet the earth fast...
So will a EFOC have more KE at past 50yds than a 7-15% FOC arrow...
And so if both arrows pass thru said animal hunted and both meet the earth again ...will the small FOC win because it hit first???...lol

Neil
Not sure on range yet. Last time on here I said something about distance the ethical police showed up.

Both arrows will weight the same. But you do bring up a point. Say at 50 yards there is a 6 inch difference then that would mean that one arrow was faster so k.e. Would be higher.

But the what ifs can be done to death on this.

I'm testing because a guy told me he shoots heavy low foc arrow. I asked why not shoot a heavy arrow with high foc. He stated the arrow with high foc nose dives. I said weight is weight. So now I'm going to find out.

Eric
Old 02-02-2016, 03:09 PM

Default Efoc

If you want to make an Efoc arrow the key is to keep the shaft as light as possible and make up the weight in the front of the arrow. It's definately not just to plunk a heavier and heavier head on the front. Yes y get more FOC with head weight but the sacrifice comes in trajectory if the arrow increases weight. A 300 grain arrow will carry further than a 500 grain arrow for sure.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
If you want to make an Efoc arrow the key is to keep the shaft as light as possible and make up the weight in the front of the arrow. It's definately not just to plunk a heavier and heavier head on the front. Yes y get more FOC with head weight but the sacrifice comes in trajectory if the arrow increases weight. A 300 grain arrow will carry further than a 500 grain arrow for sure.
Yes sir thank you for your Imput. Im aware on how to build efoc arrows. I have been building high to efoc arrows for about two to three years now. My average hunting arrow runs around 19%. The arrow I'm testing now for my hunting arrow will be around 25%. And total weight around 515 gn.

My test is to have two arrows the same weight. Not different weights. If they are differnt weights then the test would be a waist of time.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:22 PM

Default Test

It would also be a "waste" of time
Old 02-02-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
It would also be a "waste" of time
Well I posted all my results.