Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-21-2016, 09:06 PM

Default Archery ranges

Hey guys im new to calgary and am looking for a good range to go check out preferrably in the northwest also anyone have a preffered broadhead used to use grim reapers but last season i had a few that wouldnt open so have since stopped using them and am looking for sugestions
Old 01-21-2016, 09:38 PM

Curious what lead you to believe the Grim Reapers didn't open? There is one very easy way to know if they opened, just a little bit of inspection required. We're they previously shot at all?

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-21-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 PM

Yea id been shooting at my block with the practice tip and then on the day of my bear hunt. i pulled out the the expandable tip and took a shot at the block to double check make sure my sights didnt shift. Sights were fine but went up to the block and the broadhead didnt open took, a few more shots to make sure but it didnt open once. My buddy gave me 1 of his fixed blades to use instead
Old 01-21-2016, 11:41 PM

So is this about a range or about grim reapers?
Old 01-22-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
So is this about a range or about grim reapers?
Id really like information on a good range in the nw preferably
Old 01-22-2016, 03:10 AM

Jimbows calgary is were i would go for sure ! As for your grim reapers expandable a will snap back shut when the block stops the arrow
Old 01-22-2016, 05:51 AM

Jimbows is located in the north end of Calgary and is a great place to shoot
Old 01-22-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterbuck View Post
Yea id been shooting at my block with the practice tip and then on the day of my bear hunt. i pulled out the the expandable tip and took a shot at the block to double check make sure my sights didnt shift. Sights were fine but went up to the block and the broadhead didnt open took, a few more shots to make sure but it didnt open once. My buddy gave me 1 of his fixed blades to use instead
When you pull a Grim Reaper from a block...the blades close.

If the Grim Reaper penetrated the block fully but did not pass through the blades close when the arrow stops.

I can assure you that they opened up. There is a way to tell if this happened, but I can assure you they open.

LC
Old 01-22-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Id really like information on a good range in the nw preferably
Dang it, why did you have to respond so normal? I was eating popcorn with hopes this would turn into a dramatic sideshow

I suppose one thing regarding the reapers that hasn't been mentioned, is if you didn't check that the grooves in the one ring are lined up with the blades and actually tested the movement by flicking them with your finger, then maybe the broadhead was tightened on while misaligned. But I think everyone else has explained what is more likely.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:55 AM

Regardless i think i will be changing to g5 montec fixed blades. Also thank you for the info i will be sure to go check jimbows out
Old 01-22-2016, 12:15 PM
Banned

I always wondered why people think the blades will be open when you pull them out.... I haven't had a mechanical that was yet unless there was blood , hair or bone stuck in the grooves keeping it from closing fully, but there wasn't much question what happened in the animal....
Old 01-22-2016, 12:37 PM

I would head down to Jim-Bows Archery fantastic place to launch arrows and a really awesome crew to hang out with.

Cheers!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:48 PM

I will deffinetly be going to jim-bows to check it out thanks guys
Old 02-01-2016, 06:13 PM

Default Archery range

Well since the city of Calgary took back the land for our fantastic range we don't have a good range to practice at anymore. There's also a range in cochrane and there's dragon Flight Archery north of cochrane. By the way have I mentioned how ****ed I am at Nenshi for closing our range! A city of over a million people and we don't have a viable archery or gun range ....so sad.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Regardless i think i will be changing to g5 montec fixed blades. Also thank you for the info i will be sure to go check jimbows out
I've switched from Montecs to grim reapers. The Montecs just don't get as sharp as I want. In comparison to most alternatives, they're flat out dull. Do they work? Yes. But I'd be more confident in something sharper.
I'd suggest looking into the striker if you want to stick with g5. Other good alternatives would be magnus snuffer, wac'em 3 blade, or nap hellrazor. Pretty sure jimbows has the nap and you were planning on going there anyway

Cheers
Old 02-03-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G TINE View Post
I would head down to Jim-Bows Archery fantastic place to launch arrows and a really awesome crew to hang out with.

Cheers!
I am a new member of the archery group (just got my first bow). Last night I went to Jimbows for some arrows and a release, also to check my new toy....

Holly cow, these guys ARE fantastic.....all work was done in less then 15 minutes......
Thanks a lot