Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 PM

Default My 2007 Coyote with a bow

Hey gang, Shot this wiley yote at 4 yards with my bow. Had a good friend do the mount for me. Thought I would share the pic.

I'll share the storey another time it's a good one.

Cheers

I'll post a few other pics when I finish resizing them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0072.jpg (61.0 KB, 228 views)
Old 02-11-2008, 08:50 PM

Default Awesome

Wow, nicely done. I got one at just over 520 yards last weekend, doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment beside yours. Look forward to the story.....
Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Hey, nice yipper. Congrats!

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM

Good Job Very Nice.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:48 PM

Default Wow

I don't know what would be harder, getting within 4 yrds of a yote or convincing my wife to let me put it in the living room!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:54 PM

Gilliesuit, thats freakin' awesome man! Amazing mount too! Wow, 4 yards, what a hoot. I too got my first yote with a bow this fall and just thinking about it still makes me giggle!

In case ya missed it, here's the link. Once again, congrats!
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=7622

Tree
Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 AM

I shot my first with a bow this year as well. Never thought about getting a mount.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 AM

Default So Here's the story and another pic

Okay so here’s the yote story.

I was out at first light trying to get the drop on a white tail doe that was crossing on the corner of this field at day break each day for like the last week. So I set up in a caragana windrow and waited. The doe walked up to 25 yards and I drew my bow…….great she’s pinned me……..waiting……..waiting……waiting………can’t hold it much longer………okay she’s turned her head…….loose…………………what the?????????? The infamous MATRIX DEER. She ducked my arrow in the blink of an eye and was gone......There's my arrow sticking up in the field......no blood no hair no nothin.

With no other deer in sight I decided to do a little scouting so I took a stroll down the fence line following the 6 foot high wind row and keeping my outline hidden against the brome grass. I got to the quarter line in the middle of the section and could see two groups of yotes out sunning themselves on the side slope across the creek from my position. There were five on the low ridge to my left and 4 on the opposite ridge straight across from me. They were around 800 yards away at that point so I thought I have never called a coyote that I could see so I thought here’s my chance to learn how they react instead of just having them show up when calling in areas that you would expect to find them.

I settled into the tall grass with my back against a fence post and my bow across my lap with an arrow knocked and ready to go (from my position I had a 180 degrees view straight down wind). I sat there for close to 30 minutes just watching the yotes on the ridge and then let loose with a rabbit distress call. That got their attention and very shortly all 9 doggies were slowly working their way towards my position. 30 minutes passes and they were starting to hang up at about 80 yards out. I lip squeak a few times and they continue to work there way a little closer when I hear crunch crunch crunch behind me……….followed by a pooowanng on the fence wire and plop there is a coyote less than two feet from me on my right facing away from me. It’s so close I could have grabbed it by the tail. I am frozen………I don’t dare move or even breath……..the wind is blowing the grass to my right and I think the yote thinks it sees something that might have made the distress sound so it pounces. Now its 3 and a half to 4 yards away but mostly hidden in the grass. So I lip squeak again while drawing my bow………..and there it is broadside at 4 yards………….tunk………..flop……….it’s all over, the yote is dead. It didn’t run or anything just flopped over dead with my arrow sticking out both sides………whoooooowhooooooo.

I look up and the other yotes are still sunning themselves at 80 yards out. I decide not to call anymore and risk spooking them with the dead doggy to my right so I carefully sneak over pick up my trophy and sneak back across the field without alerting the other dogs to me presence.

It was the first Dog I had called in by myself and the first one I had shot with my bow so I decided to get it mounted (Plus my friend is a taxidermist so I got a rockin deal). Anyway I chose the leaping form because that’s how I remember it when it came over the fence in the tall grass and nearly landed in my lap.

Cheers.

Sorry about the pic on its side. You will just have to copy it and rotate it to get the full affect.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0074.jpg (64.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 02-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Default Hope everyone enjoyed the bow huntin story,

I might go yote huntin this weekend.

Probly take the .223 though just cause its fun drop them at 200 yards as well