Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-08-2021, 03:25 PM

Default fall whitefish streams

hey y'all just wondering where's a decent stream out here in es1/es2 for targeting fall rockies? it's still a species on my to get list (should be a blast on light tackle) and now that it's fall i'm thinking that it should be easier to get some to bite in smaller streams? i'm thinking streams like the sheep or highwood would produce? would the bow or rdr be fairly empty given that they're up spawning in the tribs? i think i'll just be nymphing some ww's or sjw for 'em. appreciate the input!

cheers and tight lines!
Old 10-11-2021, 07:24 AM

Unfortunately our streams are suffering from drought this year with extremly low water.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 10-14-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylane19 View Post
hey y'all just wondering where's a decent stream out here in es1/es2 for targeting fall rockies? it's still a species on my to get list (should be a blast on light tackle) and now that it's fall i'm thinking that it should be easier to get some to bite in smaller streams? i'm thinking streams like the sheep or highwood would produce? would the bow or rdr be fairly empty given that they're up spawning in the tribs? i think i'll just be nymphing some ww's or sjw for 'em. appreciate the input!
The Whitefish runs of the past seem way down.There would be a dozen anglers on my favorite runs on the sheep/highwood, all getting sport.I was there last week 1 fish and no other fishermen.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylane19 View Post
The sheep has been great for me for whitefish. One morning I caught 30 fish. 20 trout ten whites. I’ve had better luck with tiny beadheads. There bite at times is super subtle. My biggest whitefish was 20 inches and a tank. I set the hook when the indicator went down a millimeter thinking no way that’s a fish. What ya know it’s a beauty. I put a split shot above my last fly and usually they take the bottom fly only. I put my phone underwater once and there where so many fish stacked up along the bottom in august. Caught some beauty trout there too. If you pm me I could Send you my favourite hole. When I say hole I mean 12 foot hole.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:23 PM

What about the Elbow where it enters the Bow?

Drewski
Old 10-14-2021, 02:28 PM

thanks for your thoughts y'all! i've actually never tried the confluence, maybe it'd be worth a shot! that's awesome, i'll shoot you a dm 270! i think i tried the sheep a few years ago and just caught some tiny rainbows in town in mid summer. but considering it's a trib of the bow there must be some decent ones in there!

cheers and tight lines!
Old 10-14-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
The sheep has been great for me for whitefish. One morning I caught 30 fish. 20 trout ten whites. I’ve had better luck with tiny beadheads. There bite at times is super subtle. My biggest whitefish was 20 inches and a tank. I set the hook when the indicator went down a millimeter thinking no way that’s a fish. What ya know it’s a beauty. I put a split shot above my last fly and usually they take the bottom fly only. I put my phone underwater once and there where so many fish stacked up along the bottom in august. Caught some beauty trout there too. If you pm me I could Send you my favourite hole. When I say hole I mean 12 foot hole.
You had way more success than me,I do know from the past that some days were better than others.Nice to know that the whitefish are back in numbers again.Will try again soon. Thanks for the post.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
You had way more success than me,I do know from the past that some days were better than others.Nice to know that the whitefish are back in numbers again.Will try again soon. Thanks for the post.

Absolutely. Some days I only catch a couple but some days I catch to many to count.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:37 PM

Anyone try the McLeod this late in the year for whites?
Old 10-14-2021, 09:41 PM

Getting a bit late but try try the Highwood west of Longview. Can be really big days if you find a school. Good luck!
Old 10-15-2021, 07:36 AM

just got home form the Highwood, Only one small whitefish but the cutties where good but taking small Tricos (size#20) in the film.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 10-15-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
just got home form the Highwood, Only one small whitefish but the cutties where good but taking small Tricos (size#20) in the film.

Thanks for the update Lornce
Old 10-15-2021, 10:15 PM

Thought I would mention that not all rocky mountain whites migrate. There can be some resident whites local to a stream too. I have caught RM whitefish all times in the winter in the North Saskatchewan river right in Edmonton. Goldbar park where the warm water treatment discharge doesn't let the river freeze. Whites were there every month.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets