Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-11-2015, 03:52 PM

Default My First Bow

After 7 years of hunting with the old smoke pole I have decided to take the next step and get into bow hunting. Where does a guy go when he has no idea what he is looking for you might ask. Jim-bow's Edmonton of course! I'm in sales and customer service is very important to me. I couldn't be happier with the assistance Carson gave me. On my first visit to the store he had me on the lane learning the basics of how to shoot including helping me find my draw length and dominant eye. On my second visit we discussed the differences between the ready to shoot bows that they had available. My third trip was to pick up my brand new Bowtech Carbon Icon!! All i can say is that I am loving the new bow and the sport of archery. I can only imagine how much better it will get when hunting season comes around and I start chasing some critters. Until then I will be spending my time at the lanes practicing as much as I can. If you know anyone looking to get into archery, send them to Jim-Bows. I couldn't be happier with the service and facilities they provide.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:32 PM

Welcome to the dark side, I don't even like touching a rifle anymore.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:07 PM

Congrats on your new bow, I have yet to make my way into jimbows yet, but always hear good things. Make sure you practice lots and know your max range before you get out hunting. It will be more beneficial to practice shooting outside once spring rolls in, also try to get out to some 3-d shoots. If you don't already have a range finder, it is a great tool to help you judge distances. Practice by guessing the distance to your target and then verifying with your range finder. Just a few tips, I'm sure you'll get lots of advice over the next nine months till bow season opens. I look forward to seeing your photos next fall of your first bow kill. Enjoy your new obsession!
Old 12-12-2015, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the Tips. I am looking forward to getting outside and practicing my distances. Right now I am pretty happy with the 20 Yard range indoors just so I can work on my technique. Hopefully come spring I will have it down to the point where I can start playing with distance and different targets. I do have a range finder that I use for rifle hunting. Is it a good idea to get an archery specific finder? I can already see how much gear someone can acquire in this sport.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygun View Post
Thanks for the Tips. I am looking forward to getting outside and practicing my distances. Right now I am pretty happy with the 20 Yard range indoors just so I can work on my technique. Hopefully come spring I will have it down to the point where I can start playing with distance and different targets. I do have a range finder that I use for rifle hunting. Is it a good idea to get an archery specific finder? I can already see how much gear someone can acquire in this sport.
The main differenace's with Archery specific is it ranges closer yardage ...10 yd as apposed to 15yd...and arrow Arc from stands...

having said that I have a Leopold 850...that does both archery and rifle...why not have both?...lol

Neil
Old 12-27-2015, 07:47 PM

I to want to tell into bow hunting. Thanks for sharing, I will check out Jim's-bows.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:22 AM

Congrats to you on the start of a new passion.
I too went the same route after years of rifle hunting I wanted more challenge so I dove into the blackpowder muzzleloading and went as far as building my own sidelock from a kit and casting balls and making lube and cutting patches.
Bowhunting is indeed a pleasure and passion, Welcome!

The customer service you recieved at Jim Bows probably doesn't equal to the customer service at Wholesale Sports but I did save well over $200 on my Bowtech Carbon Icon with RAK.
If only Swamp Donkey took Visa lol. He's another go to person for archery info and supplies.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:31 PM

once you get into it a bit you'll find yourself ranging (in your head) everything and anything you can see lol.