Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-11-2014, 01:51 PM

Default Strathcona whitetails

So...not for lack of trying, as I've scouted almost all public land available in strathcona/leduc, I have yet to see even one set of whitetail tracks. I've seen moose tracks, know the ruffies are there (just invisible to me), and I'm onto the mulies (does and one super curious fawn only though, so I'll hold out for a bit before harvesting one).
Admittedly, I'm pretty new to this and also haven't tackled the available ministick areas yet. All the areas I've gone to SHOULD be prime whitetail habitat, but without proof for my untrained eye, I don't know where to concentrate my efforts.
Any words of advice, known areas (or maybe an invite?!?) for a new bowhunter? If all I get is "they are there, keep trying" I can deal, just thought I'd ask.
Thanks chaps.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:03 PM

I'm not sure Ministik is in 248? I think I someone on here posted that before. Double check, I could be wrong though?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-11-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
I'm not sure Ministik is in 248? I think I someone on here posted that before. Double check, I could be wrong though?
A small portion of the Ministik Bird Sanctury is in 248, but the vast majority of it is south of TWP510. I shot my very first big game animal in Ministik with my bow (a 143" 5x5 whitetail), but that's the only whitetail buck I ever seen in there. I think you would need to stay as close to 510 as possible and hope a WT buck comes out of Ministik and heads north across 510 to feed in the fields.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
A small portion of the Ministik Bird Sanctury is in 248, but the vast majority of it is south of TWP510. I shot my very first big game animal in Ministik with my bow (a 143" 5x5 whitetail), but that's the only whitetail buck I ever seen in there. I think you would need to stay as close to 510 as possible and hope a WT buck comes out of Ministik and heads north across 510 to feed in the fields.
I think it is all in 242....but I could be wrong.

LC
Old 10-11-2014, 07:22 PM

Ya, so not much in that little chunk of land, eh? Might check it out a little bit anyways, can't hurt.
Thanks for the input though, all info helps
Old 10-11-2014, 07:31 PM

Looking closer, I'm not sure if the chunk of land obove is technically part of the sanctuary, but it's not grazing lease either. I did think all that bottom portion of strathcona was in 248, clear now though. I've gotta make sure I watch that
Old 10-11-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ----->shooter View Post
Looking closer, I'm not sure if the chunk of land obove is technically part of the sanctuary, but it's not grazing lease either. I did think all that bottom portion of strathcona was in 248, clear now though. I've gotta make sure I watch that
Common mistake! Could be a costly one! The majority of Ministik (or all of it) is in WMU 242....NOT WMU 248

LC
Old 10-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Banned

Those whities are tricky. Most days i see a few every trip and some days none at all. I'm sure the moon is part of reason and also the farmers working 24/7 in the fields are making them stay in the bush more.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 AM

Sometimes it just takes knocking on everyones door. I have permission on 6 places now.... all hold deer. But im only concentrating on one. As it holds moose, ruffies ....mulies and whitetails.

I was in stand last night and only had 3 mulie does go by, and a cow moose run past like a house on fire. But i hope this bad boy comes out during shooting light soon...althought i have some pics of him in broad daylight..but not many....20yards from my stand.

He comes out here........

And here.......

Good luck in you search for whitetails. Whether i bag a deer or not.. strathcona is my new favorite place on earth. Lol so close to home... the wifey delivers me hot lunch on request!!!
Old 10-12-2014, 12:04 PM

Default lol

So that's where their hiding!! on your cams! no wonder I cant find 'em.

Ya I haven't gone asking for permissions yet, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet. Was hoping I could get away with public lands, but now'a'days I guess there's not much of it left (and whities just too smart to hang out there?). I was surprised after picking up some county maps how very little goes unowned.

thanks for the feedback.