Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-09-2014, 10:03 PM

Default New to trapping-Where to begin

Im an experienced hunter, but I would love to get into trapping.

Just wondering where to start. What tests I need to take etc.

Also what an average cost is to get started. With traps and everything.

I know this post is vague but I just don't know what questions to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 PM

Default New trapper

I picked up the trapper education manual from Trapper Gords in DeBolt. $50. Study it cover to cover and challenge the test at a local Fish and Wildlife office. You can also take a trapper education course. They are not ran very often and are a bit pricy. Find a trapper and learn from them once you're legal. Then the real learning starts.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Banned

I just got my Resident Trappers License a week before Christmas. I self studied the manual and challenged the test as well. For courses and other trappers info google "Alberta Trappers Association" (ATA). The manual costs $50 + gst, the test is free and a Resident license costs about $20 (if you pass the test).

If you already have a snowmobile and/or quad that is the biggest cost but if you're trapping near roads that are maintained in the winter not a necessity. You'll want a set of snowshoes at the very least for winter and hip boats or waders in the spring and fall.

Trapping muskrats is pretty much a given because there are lots around and they are relatively easy to trap. You can make colony traps for spring and fall but you might some body traps for all season long. Then there's snaring coyotes and fox. That's where I'm starting. This summer I can make/accumulate martin and weasel boxes for next season.

I'm going to make as much of my own stuff (trap boxes, drying boards, fleshing beam) as I can and I figure on spending about $1K on equipment by next year. I'm thinking......60 Snares - $200....24 body grip traps & rat traps - $300....sled behind my skidoo - $200.....and $300 in wire, lumber, tools and misc items. You don't have to spend that much though, you can start small and put your fur money back into it and grow it over time.

My experience is that you have to study the manual BEFORE you can go out and buy what you need otherwise you have no idea what to buy. My timing was completely off with getting my license but I guess that I'm that much further ahead. The ATA is running courses in March and April and that, IMO, is the right time to do it. Then you have all summer to prepare, scout, plan and look forward to the start of the season. I'm really excited to get trapping but right now I'm kinda in a holding pattern....lol! Good luck!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:33 PM

Thanks!

Do you need an extra permit to be able to carry and kill animals with a pistol while trapping?

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 01-10-2014, 12:44 AM

Does the manual say what kind of traps to use and what not?

And can you trap anywhere on crown and privately owned land?

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7

Last edited by *BigSexyHunter*; 01-10-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BigSexyHunter* View Post
Thanks!

Do you need an extra permit to be able to carry and kill animals with a pistol while trapping?
Quote:
Well BS Hunter, I don't know.......OUT!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:05 AM

Yes you have to get an extra permit to carry a pistol. The manual will cover the basics of which traps to use. If you look in the trapping regs you can see which ones are legal for different species.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
Yes you have to get an extra permit to carry a pistol. The manual will cover the basics of which traps to use. If you look in the trapping regs you can see which ones are legal for different species.
This is a much better answer than I gave the op but I had the feeling that I was being trolled. My apologies to the op if that wasn't the case.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Permits are available but good luck getting one. The online trapping regs has a list of all certified traps for each species.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
This is a much better answer than I gave the op but I had the feeling that I was being trolled. My apologies to the op if that wasn't the case.
HunterDave,

I was not trolling! I honestly didn't know. What are these permits called? And where can I acquire one?

Thanks!

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 01-10-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
HunterDave,

I was not trolling! I honestly didn't know. What are these permits called? And where can I acquire one?

Thanks!
You can't as far as I know ,,,, You must be a holder of a RFMA , or junior partner.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:

And can you trap anywhere on crown and privately owned land?

Get a license to trap first.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 PM

Don't get ahead of yourself with arming up with sidearms already. First worry about getting your licence and a few traps to start with.
Get to know the animals you are wanting to catch. Know how to make effective humane kill sets where possible and you don't have to dispatch as many animals. Most importantly you first have to learn how to be invisible in the bush.

A sidearm isn't worth carrying if you haven't caught anything yet? I trapped for many years and never carried a sidearm, and honestly haven't personally met any trappers in Alberta that do. There might be a few but not many. I think the only trappers that might be allowed to carry would be the registered long liners.

Glad you are interested in trapping. It is a great winter activity that keeps you close to the land. Trappers probably have the most compassion for all animals and their habitat. The knowledge required for many species goes much deeper than just hunting. Trapping requires having some knowledge of winter travel and survival too.

Ask questions any time, no matter how simple or odd, but remember that you have the internet at your fingertips. You can google alot of the answers you seek. youtube can be a good friend for tips too.
You are about to become a student again if you pursue trapping. Start by reading the trapping regulations first. Then read the manual. I would recommend taking the course as it is more hands on and teachs you alot before you even get to set a trap. If you are challenging the test i would suggest you find a local trapper that might take you out once or twice to show you the basics.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Don't get ahead of yourself with arming up with sidearms already. First worry about getting your licence and a few traps to start with.
Get to know the animals you are wanting to catch. Know how to make effective humane kill sets where possible and you don't have to dispatch as many animals. Most importantly you first have to learn how to be invisible in the bush.

A sidearm isn't worth carrying if you haven't caught anything yet? I trapped for many years and never carried a sidearm, and honestly haven't personally met any trappers in Alberta that do. There might be a few but not many. I think the only trappers that might be allowed to carry would be the registered long liners.

Glad you are interested in trapping. It is a great winter activity that keeps you close to the land. Trappers probably have the most compassion for all animals and their habitat. The knowledge required for many species goes much deeper than just hunting. Trapping requires having some knowledge of winter travel and survival too.

Ask questions any time, no matter how simple or odd, but remember that you have the internet at your fingertips. You can google alot of the answers you seek. youtube can be a good friend for tips too.
You are about to become a student again if you pursue trapping. Start by reading the trapping regulations first. Then read the manual. I would recommend taking the course as it is more hands on and teachs you alot before you even get to set a trap. If you are challenging the test i would suggest you find a local trapper that might take you out once or twice to show you the basics.

Good luck in your quest.
Thanks!

I just turned 18, and finally got my PAL, the instructor and I were wondering how trappers are legally able to carry a sidearm. (You think the instructor would know...)

The Trapping community seems to be like a family, if anybody ever needs help, advice (Hands on or not) or anything for that matter, your all here to help. Not like us fisherman!

I'm the kind of guy who can hunt or fish all day with no success (although bagging your quarry is an even better experience) and be content. I grew up on a cattle farm, living 20 minuets from town. Our staple meat is moose, although a beef rib-eye steak is a nice change. I just love the outdoors.

Thanks for everybody's willingness to help this eager young man!
Spencer

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 01-11-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks!

I just turned 18, and finally got my PAL, the instructor and I were wondering how trappers are legally able to carry a sidearm. (You think the instructor would know...)

The Trapping community seems to be like a family, if anybody ever needs help, advice (Hands on or not) or anything for that matter, your all here to help. Not like us fisherman!

I'm the kind of guy who can hunt or fish all day with no success (although bagging your quarry is an even better experience) and be content. I grew up on a cattle farm, living 20 minuets from town. Our staple meat is moose, although a beef rib-eye steak is a nice change. I just love the outdoors.

Thanks for everybody's willingness to help this eager young man!
Spencer
You may just might enjoy trapping then. Though, ideally a good trapper will have some success every time he/she checks his/her traps.
We trappers want to be helpful because it really makes us mad when animals and their habitat are destroyed because the person didn't know better. Trapping is all about being responsible on the land and with the animals. They give their lives to us just so we can handle and wear their fur.

I wish I had the AO forum to ask questions to 40 years ago. Would have saved me a few years of learning from scratch.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:30 PM

google alberta trappers association and sign up for a course its worth the money they teach you everything you need to know to get started i took it in september and am loving it so far, hard work in this deep snow
Old 01-11-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sow wester View Post
google alberta trappers association and sign up for a course its worth the money they teach you everything you need to know to get started i took it in september and am loving it so far, hard work in this deep snow
In one way you are lucky to start in the deep snow. Easy to track everything. Coyotes in snares are easy. animals are a little more restricted in traveling.
It is when there is no snow that trapping becomes more challenging. Then a person has to know the animals and how they move around the area.

Nice to hear the fur trade lives on in our youth.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
In one way you are lucky to start in the deep snow. Easy to track everything. Coyotes in snares are easy. animals are a little more restricted in traveling.
It is when there is no snow that trapping becomes more challenging. Then a person has to know the animals and how they move around the area.

Nice to hear the fur trade lives on in our youth.
I plan on trapping on our land just around home for now, I know it very well. Got a couple wolves running around (One nice black one, caught him on my game cam) lots-I mean lots of yodies, Beavers and rats too. I see some fisher tracks from time to time.

But no Martin..... Do they occupy almost all of Alberta? Or only some areas?

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 01-11-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I plan on trapping on our land just around home for now, I know it very well. Got a couple wolves running around (One nice black one, caught him on my game cam) lots-I mean lots of yodies, Beavers and rats too. I see some fisher tracks from time to time.

But no Martin..... Do they occupy almost all of Alberta? Or only some areas?
Martin like to eat squirrels and small forest rodents so... that should give you an idea. Where there is a high population of squirrels in evergreen forest is a good place ot start.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Martin like to eat squirrels and small forest rodents so... that should give you an idea. Where there is a high population of squirrels in evergreen forest is a good place ot start.
Martin fly around and eat insects. Marten eat mice ,voles, squirrels and many other things including beeries.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Good information, thanks!

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 01-12-2014, 07:23 PM

The martin's full name is the pine marten. Might be clue too.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:25 PM

Do they occupy only 100% evergreen forests? Or will they be around lots of popular with some spruce if there is forest critters?

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 01-13-2014, 12:27 AM

google the pine martin in alberta
Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM

after being over too westlock and seeing what was there first thing you should do is sign up for tyrapping course learn some dos and donts in set makeing and learn something about fur handeling
Old 02-28-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
Martin fly around and eat insects. Marten eat mice ,voles, squirrels and many other things including beeries.
Marten Trappers, not marten, like beer ies.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:02 PM

Default Permit

Just to clarify the permit to carry hand gun on registered trap line is not a slam dunk. First you have to be certified on shooting range that you have marksmanship. Second need to justify why hand gun and not rifle will do the job. Need to justify why higher caliber magnum needed for protection rather than 22 to finish off game. Only can carry on actual RFMA line. Etc