Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2022, 04:38 PM

Default My best fishing trips

I have been on trips where I caught big fish, other trips where we caught lots
of fish. Trips to the coast for salmon, ice fishing or open water here in Alberta, but the best trips was with young grandsons. I would catch a fish without allowing anyone to know and have someone distract the boys. Then making sure the fish was securely hooked, let the fish back into the water. Making some excuse, get one of the boys hold my rod for a minute. They would feel the tugging fish and reel it in. They could catch fish even when Gramps couldn`t catch any. Later in camp I would show how scrawny the fish was, they were sure to correct me. Now 20 years later the boys still tell stories about our
fishing trips. Miss those times, maybe there will be great grandsons.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:22 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
I have been on trips where I caught big fish, other trips where we caught lots
of fish. Trips to the coast for salmon, ice fishing or open water here in Alberta, but the best trips was with young grandsons. I would catch a fish without allowing anyone to know and have someone distract the boys. Then making sure the fish was securely hooked, let the fish back into the water. Making some excuse, get one of the boys hold my rod for a minute. They would feel the tugging fish and reel it in. They could catch fish even when Gramps couldn`t catch any. Later in camp I would show how scrawny the fish was, they were sure to correct me. Now 20 years later the boys still tell stories about our
fishing trips. Miss those times, maybe there will be great grandsons.

You have been blessed!

My grandparents did the same for us especially for the younger ones when we were all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-15-2022, 08:00 PM

Default My best fish8ng trips

That’s a great story, and you are right sir on all counts!
Old 03-16-2022, 09:02 AM

teaching kids how to fish is to me the best part of the sport. Seeing the excitement on their faces reminds me how I felt 100 years ago when I started fishing, it never gets old!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-16-2022, 10:33 AM

I have had many "best" fishing trips over the years, some were best fishing, some were best weather, some were best friends and family, etc.
My best memories as a kid were definitely on fishing trips with my dad and brother.
Last month, when my dad was on his death bed, I asked him where is favorite place was that he fished and he said, last summer, Prince Rupert with his 2 sons and 4 grandkids.
We are heading back to fish with PRRV out of Rupert this summer, I have an urn of ashes to deliver...
Miss you DAD!!!
Old 03-16-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
I have had many "best" fishing trips over the years, some were best fishing, some were best weather, some were best friends and family, etc.
My best memories as a kid were definitely on fishing trips with my dad and brother.
Last month, when my dad was on his death bed, I asked him where is favorite place was that he fished and he said, last summer, Prince Rupert with his 2 sons and 4 grandkids.
We are heading back to fish with PRRV out of Rupert this summer, I have an urn of ashes to deliver...
Miss you DAD!!!
My condolences I just lost my dad too. Catch a biggie for him!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-16-2022, 12:39 PM

I have many memories of fishing with my cousins and grandfather at the lake where he had his cottage. Three or four of us , from six to ten or so would be in the 14' boat with my grandfather, and we would head out and jig for walleye, pike, and perch. We usually caught fish and we always had a great time, and when my grandfather passed, he left me his tackle box, and his favorite rod and reel.
But my favorite trip, was the year I took my father to Rivers Inlet to fish, when I was in my late 20s. Two of us would head out from the resort in a 16' open boat, and we did okay for the first two days, catching some cohos, and pinks, and some ling. The third evening , we didn't have the lines out for five minutes, before the first bite, and I landed a big chinook, after about 10-15 minutes. Then within five minutes of getting the lines out again, I saw a rod go totally straight, with the line loose, and my father asked if the hook let go. I grabbed the rod, reeled fast, and when I had the slack in, I set the hook, and handed the rod to my father, and told him it was his turn. I reeled in the other lines as he fought the fish, and then noticing how little line he had left on the spool, I went after the fish. Four times the fish came up, but out of reach to net. After just over an hour, my father was pretty much beat, and the fish finally surfaced , and I was able to get it in the net, and then lift it into the boat. By then it was dusk, so we left the fish in the net , and I headed for the resort as fast as the little 15hp outboard would go. We pulled into the dock, the boat handler helped us unload, and a within a few minutes a crowd had gathered at the dock, as we weighed the fish. The first one went 47lbs, the second went 59lbs, so my fathers name went on a plaque on the resort wall, for the 50lb+ chinooks. My father has passed, but the 59lb fish mount, is hung in my loading room.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-16-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:46 PM

Default My best fishing trips

I remember when I was a kid in the early 70’s, I’d fish with my grandpa at Moose Lake. We would catch fresh shiner minnows and then fish just off shore at a point that had a great drop off. Standing in the water up to our knees, casting out over the drop, and catching walleyes and perch one after another. What great times!
Old 03-16-2022, 12:50 PM

Default My best fishing trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
Miss you DAD!!!
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. I hope you have a great to to PR this summer, and that your dad will be with you always.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated.