Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 AM

Default New Bio Trapline policy

Guys, anyone heard any recent skuttle butt on how progress is going on negotiations with the Bio's by the ATA PIST team on final trapping policy?
My understanding is we are only operating under and interim policy now with respect to trapline transfers etc.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:38 PM

Last I heard they are operating under a conditional relinquishment, as opposed to the unconditional that the province wanted. I'm not sure if the bios are looking after it or not. The five conditions are the purchaser must:
!- be an Alberta Resident
2- 18 or older
3-have a minimum of 3 years trapping in Alberta in the last 10 years
4- be a junior on the line at time of relinquishment
5- have successfully completed the Alberta Standard trapping course since 2003

This is from a letter from the deputy minister to the ATA.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:28 AM
AO Sponsor

Just have to hold it up for 2 years.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:06 AM

There was lot more than tranfers in the Bio document released by Fur group such as 6 page qualification document, yearly fur harvest etc etc. I am sure this has not just flown away into the sunset.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
There was lot more than tranfers in the Bio document released by Fur group such as 6 page qualification document, yearly fur harvest etc etc. I am sure this has not just flown away into the sunset.
They scrapped that and agreed to the "Interim" policy that Dugh posted. In January I inquired about it and was told that, "you won't even recognize" the final document that the ATA is developing. Gotta wait for it to be released I guess.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:33 PM

Big Grey, I think the changes you are talking about were proposed by the Province with no consultation with the ATA, and were to start last year. The conditions I posted came about after the ATA PIST team got involved and were still current in April. Check with AEP or the ATA for any changes.
I got a copy to help facilitate the purchase of a line. The fellow trying to sell the line for a relative didn't believe it either so I didn't pursue it any further.
The Province may soon consider it vacant and won't transfer it to anyone as is their policy now for vacant lines apparently as I was told by the area bio.
I like AO but always do my own research and don't rely on what others say.
Doug
Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 AM

Dave guess we have to be patient and wait for "New Joint Policy" glad they are considering many changes to origional Bio proposal, hopefully with lots of improvements. Dugh yes their were many other changes that were quite draconian, hopefully will be reduced in their negative impact on trappers.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Banned

They had info about transfers posted on the ATA site but I see that they've taken it down now. The last that I read was that what the Bios initially came out with was scrapped in its entirety and the Interim Agreement is what AEP should be going by. It went on to state that if you encountered anything different to contact an individual (Bio?) at AEP. I'm sure that the ATA could provide you with the contact name/info of the individual.