Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Default Scope for coyotes

Hey All,
So this weekend I'm going to be acquiring a .223 for coyotes and target shooting. I found a scope that I like but it isn't auto focus. So it has a dial on the end of the scope to adjust the focus at different distances. Will this be a problem coyote hunting. I imagine spotting a coyote at say 300 yards and focusing on him but then he starts running towards me and gets all blurry. Is this a problem others have experienced or will this be fine for coyotes? Thanks!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:40 AM

There are no auto focus scopes, the ones that have no adjustments are set at one or two hundred yards. The ones with focus can be set at two hundred yards and it will be good for most distances. Only when you get into the higher end of magnification should the focus come into play, then for something really close or past say three hundred yards you would have to use it. For coyotes and target to three hundred yards you might be served better with a non adjusable focus 3X9 variable scope, luckly those are usually very cheap from each manufacturer as they are very popular. For out to three hundred yards a focusing scope is not really required as the sight picture will be clear right out to infinity, the adjustable focus scopes are usually in the higher magnifications which for coyotes and targets to 300 yds is not required. Hope that helps.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:53 AM

Hands down bang for buck hit up the cabela's 223 caliber specific scope, its set up for 55gr and I put it on my savage axis. I lover the thing keeps you under 250, and I couldn't find anything better, tried the tasco with the adjustable objective and all I learnt is you don't have that time to spare.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I'll definitely look at those .223 scopes. What make and model is the one you picked up?