Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-06-2012, 05:43 PM

Default Backpack/Mountain Hunting Tips and Tricks

This forum seems to be such a wealth of information I was wanting to hear everyones tips and tricks for backpack hunting, anything that makes things lighter, easier, better or more comfortable. I am sure many of you have a few tricks you are willing to share. Here is one I just heard of and will try this season. Take a little shoe goo or seam sealer and put a few drops on your thermarest/sleeping pad and let it dry. Helps to keep the pad from moving around on the tent floor.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 PM

A $40 food scale from Wal-Mart... is one of the best things I have bought for mountain hunting. This will shed pounds off your pack. Remove the extra parts of straps, tags, drill holes to remove weight... My whole Knife kit(sharpener, folding knife, caping knife with 3 blades, and saw)weighs less then the knife I used last year. cut over 2 lbs ...

Start getting in shape now

Don't take un-proven gear on the hunt, field test new gear on weekend scouting trips.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Banned

Default sheet

A silk sleeping bag liner is luxury that is not heavy, keeps you warmer and your bag cleaner.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 PM

On cold nights I'll boil a pot of water and fill my water bottle and put it in the bottom of my sleeping bag for extra heat. I zonk out faster if my feet are warm.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:47 AM

hammock
Old 04-07-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
hammock
Invest in a lightweight backpacking stove. Mine is one of the most valuable items in my pack. There is a thread on this a little while back, so do a search for it. Also, be sure you have a big enough pack for what you need. Mine is over 70L. Though I don't use mine for hunting, it holds everything I need and more for multi-day backpacking trips.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Havalon knife. Super light, 2 ounces, 3 ounces with 12 blades.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:34 PM

Get extra life out of your boot laces by dipping them in melted parrafin wax.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Havalon knife. Super light, 2 ounces, 3 ounces with 12 blades.
Bdub how is this knife for deboning say a sheep, it looks great for the fine cape work but is the blade strong enough for heavier chores?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:09 PM

I ordered a few products today...
http://www.rei.com/product/837824/sa...e-water-filter
http://www.grouseriver.com/Lifestraw...cam-000197.htm
http://www.bisondesigns.com/node/479

I think the sawyer filter is going to be added to the pack after some testing...
And the bison designs is something i hope to never use, but i would rather have it the to not have it.

the glue on both sides of the sleeping pad works !

Use your bag to hold things so they don't take up room
I put a deluxe game bag(in a zip lock)(used for the cape) in the back part of the frame so it adds padding and doesn't take any room. i have also put a heavy duty garbage bag in with the yoke of the pack(again taking up no room)
I use my folding knife to keep the lose end of the wast belt tucked in.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southunter View Post
Bdub how is this knife for deboning say a sheep, it looks great for the fine cape work but is the blade strong enough for heavier chores?
It was a gift to me this year but the fellow that gave it to me did a moose and goat I think with one blade. I believe that was skinned and gutless quartered. Perhaps he can chime in here if he reads this. If you are splitting the brisket on a deer I would think not so good. For dis-articulating the hip joint or the head from the spine you probably have to be a little more carefull than a regular knife. For deboning I think it should be fine. For caping it should be really good. The nice thing is you can carry several extra blades. The only drawback is how sharp it is, I know I will be very carefull handling it. It is a little nerve racking changing blades for the first time but easy enough.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:11 AM

If there is one main sheep trail coming out of a basin into another or a main trail coming or going from a spot I will take the time to mark it in my GPS in case I need to come back out on it in fog or in the dark. Same with good sources of water, camp spots etc. Quite a few years ago before I had a GPS I got stuck on a mountain for two days in the fog. Pretty boring sitting in a tent waiting for the weather to change when a guy could have been down low hunting moose or caribou or catching big lakers. I am now on GPS #3, and use it alot.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Banned

Default chimney

A 12 ounce chimney for your stove so you can cook and eat inside when its cold, rainy, or windy.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 AM

As Flyfisher87 said, a camp stove is really handy. There are lots to choose from. I have this funky little vintage Optimus 8R. It uses gasoline for fuel, but camping fuel works just fine too.
stove 1.jpg

stove2.jpg

A first aid kit never hurts to have along either.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
As Flyfisher87 said, a camp stove is really handy. There are lots to choose from. I have this funky little vintage Optimus 8R. It uses gasoline for fuel, but camping fuel works just fine too.
Attachment 50064

Attachment 50065

Don't buy an 8R these days. They are no longer made in Sweden, and are fraught with flaws. They are made in China these days and this excellent stove is having problems.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Attachment 50064

Attachment 50065

I have never seen a backpacking stove like that Willy , pretty cool piece of vintage gear there.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 PM

I pack a Hammond game getter around. Nice to get the odd chicken for supper. It's like having a .22 with you all the time and doesn't weigh much extra. The noise is about the same as a .22 and they are quite accurate.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I have never seen a backpacking stove like that Willy , pretty cool piece of vintage gear there.
I wonder how old that thing is?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:03 PM

Something else I pack with me is some waterproof bags. I usually buy the assorted pack that has various sizes in it. My wallet, cellphone, maps, compass, and anything else I don't want to get wet goes in them and take up very little space not to mention they are quite durable.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Banned

Default bivy

A bug proof bivy is needed for summer camping.

It should be full length noseeum net with optional roll down waterproof full length cover.

It can be said that a small tent is bug proof but a small sieeping tent is no good in bad weather. You have to get out sometime to cook and eat.
This is why a tarp is so much better than a tent.

Last edited by chimpac; 04-09-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Default boiling water

If you are stuck out without you cookpot and need to boil water you can do it in a plastic pop bottle. Leave the lid loose and put it just out of the fire. Can usually get a few boils out of the thicker bottles before it is no good. Probably not the greatest for you but better than beaver fever in a pinch.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
If you are stuck out without you cookpot and need to boil water you can do it in a plastic pop bottle. Leave the lid loose and put it just out of the fire. Can usually get a few boils out of the thicker bottles before it is no good. Probably not the greatest for you but better than beaver fever in a pinch.
Or if materials are present, you can make a tripod out of dead fall and tie some rope to the top and have it just so the flames just lick the bottom of the bottle. Deforms the bottle, but if done right you have boiled water and could reuse the bottle to do the same thing again.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM

Default Fire Starter

If I come across a birch during the day I'll grab a bit of bark for fire starter later. Same thing with a good glob of pine pitch. Wrap it up in some TP and stash it for later. Makes getting a fire going later a bit faster and trouble free.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned

Flying bugs do not bother as much when you have a woodstove under a tarp.
Just put a bit of green stuff on the stove, they do not like the heat and smoke.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 AM

If you are camping in bigger bush watch where you are setting up for dead trees etc that can blow over on you. Also be carefull in old burns during windy days.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher87 View Post
I wonder how old that thing is?
It originally belonged to my grandmother, I'm thinking she got it in the forties or fifties.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
It originally belonged to my grandmother, I'm thinking she got it in the forties or fifties.
Definitley neat for sure! Like seeing old stuff like that.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Keep yourself well hydrated. Drink lots when you can and pack a bit with you all the time.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Keep yourself well hydrated. Drink lots when you can and pack a bit with you all the time.
x2. Depending on where I am going for the day, I pack at least 2 bottles of water plus a bottle of Gatorade. If I am hiking near a mountain stream, I will try to find a set of rapids to refill the bottles when needed. Less chance of picking up water borne bacteria there in my experience and it saves packing a lot of bottles which adds unneeded weight. I still haven't convinced myself to purchase a water filtration system yet to fully purify the water I get in the backcountry.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher87 View Post
x2. Depending on where I am going for the day, I pack at least 2 bottles of water plus a bottle of Gatorade. If I am hiking near a mountain stream, I will try to find a set of rapids to refill the bottles when needed. Less chance of picking up water borne bacteria there in my experience and it saves packing a lot of bottles which adds unneeded weight. I still haven't convinced myself to purchase a water filtration system yet to fully purify the water I get in the backcountry.
If I suspect the water I will usually boil it, I try and find the water where it is coming out of the mountain if possible. I always try and camp close to water as well if at all possible. I have a filter system but I rarely pack it anymore but in certain areas and situations it would be helpfull.