Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2023, 10:21 PM

Default Is there a place in Calgary I can buy drywall “scraps”?

It used to be that you could buy a half a sheet or whatever broken stuff they had at the hardware stores if the size of the “scraps” fit your needs. I was at Lowe’s today for other needs and asked a guy; he looked at me like I am from another planet. I need two about 1.5x3’ (or one 3x3’) pieces of drywall, but have no interest in buying a whole sheet (and don’t really have means of transporting it whole here anyway - driving a 4runner). So was wondering if there is still such a place around. I’d get a half sheet if there is such a thing.

Thanks for the insights.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:51 PM

You could try hitting up job sites at the finishing stage and see if there’s anything good out of their scrap out. But honestly for the $17 ish dollars for a full sheet, I’d just save the time, cut it in the parking lot and throw it in.
Old 07-14-2023, 11:07 PM

^ Yeah, was thinking about that. Likely what I’ll do. Thanks. Does anyone in Calgary need a free half sheet of drywall? Lol. It’ll have to be scrapped somehow, which is why I do not want to get one in the first place.

Edit: I have a half sheet of mold resistant drywall lying on the trusses in my garage in Peace River and it has been there for about a decade, lol. Could be of use right about now.

Last edited by fishnguy; 07-14-2023 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 06:38 AM

Home Depot sells half sheets.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 07-15-2023, 08:12 AM

I did my whole house and shop with "damaged " drywall, got it by the truck load. 12 ft. sheet with a corner knocked off and they can't sell it.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-15-2023, 08:43 AM

Home Depots usually have a rack that has small cut squares of plywood , drywall and the like for sale at a premium price
Old 07-15-2023, 11:40 AM

Thanks guys. That’s what I remember, but the guy at Lowe’s kind of threw me off. I will be heading to Home Depot later today to get some baseboards and will take a look.

That’s the way to go, Grizz, if you can get a truckload of that.
Old 07-15-2023, 01:41 PM

Some of my sites in NE Calgary are at drywall stage. Send me a Pm and I’ll send you addresses. Then you can go help yourself to whatever scraps you need. That’ll save you from having to get rid of whatever you don’t use.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:57 PM

^ Greatly appreciate the offer, Sage. I didn’t see it before I visited a Home Depot.

At the Home Depot, I was told the only drywall they have other than full sheets is the stacks of 2x2’ for $9.97 per piece, lol.

So I asked where is the rack with the broken stuff, cutoffs, etc. The guy looked at me like I from another planet and said they never had anything like that, lol. The other guy didn’t say anything. No matter what I told him, he just assumed I was stupid and said I would have to buy a whole sheet. I said that’s fine, if they kept the half of it. He said they don’t care and then insisted I would have to pay full price, which I said I would from the beginning. So I went to get some baseboards and the other guy who was standing next to the “smart” guy caught up to me and said he can cut whatever I need from one of the damaged sheets. Sounds good. He chose a damaged ten-foot and cut me a 4-foot piece (my “half” was also damaged, but I didn’t care much), gave me a paper that I was to be charged ten bucks he called it half-price of $21.97, the cost of the whole sheet). Even better. That was sorted.

At the trim section, I found what I wanted, called a guy and asked him to cut two 16-foot boards into four pieces of certain length. The guy said there is a “bench” and the tools right there (pointing) set up so that I could cut whatever I want into whatever I want. Sure. Weird, but sure. Grabbed a 16-foot piece and walked to the “bench”. The dumbest set up I have ever seen, especially for a giant chain of hardware stores. I should have taken a picture (I will try to remember tomorrow as I am going there again). I bet you they wouldn’t let their employees use that due to the safety regulations, lol. The tools are hand tools, of course. That’s completely fine, I wasn’t born yesterday. However, those were the dullest saws I have ever seen in my life! Not kidding at all, and by a long stretch. I’ll try to remember to snap a picture tomorrow. The idea is that when the customers use the “bench”, they constantly hit the metal tubes the “bench” is made of with the saw they are using. To make two cuts I broke more sweat than I did through out the entire day prior and I was out at the Heritage place all day and it was, as my youngest puts it, sweating hot, lol. Man… I can imagine pinched, possibly bruised and otherwise hurt fingers of the crowd who hardly ever held a saw in their hands. Seriously, not sure wtf they are thinking with that set up. I am pretty far from a “beginner” and I managed to hurt my thumb, right at the joint. Hurt like a female dog. Of course, I complained to the guy at checkout, saying that they should at least provide useable tools if they expect people to do this crap themselves and whatever happened to someone helping out and making the necessary cuts with a chop saw like they used to anyway. His answer was that it depends on the “rep”, some would do exactly that and others would make the customers do it themselves. I couldn’t believe it, lol. Will see how it goes tomorrow. I managed to somehow skip a roughly 5-foot piece on my list, so I will have to head back. Will make sure to come with my own saw that is always in the vehicle. Likely my last time using Home Depot unless absolutely necessary. The cherry on top, so to speak, was the sign to clean up after yourself after using the “bench”, lol.

Edit: I should add that this a Home Depot at Macleod in Calgary, if anyone is wondering.

Last edited by fishnguy; 07-16-2023 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:22 AM

Rona in Bowness, just off of 16th, has half sheets