Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 07:36 AM

Very good questions, Dean.You may not end up saving if buying specials etc but you will certainly enjoy your chewing if you get a half that is aged properly with a lot of variation you normally would not enjoy. I bought a side a few months back because of how oldgutpile described how he checked the aging process. I ordered that side from his establishment (Albertaprairiemeats) and couldn't be happier with the product. The drive is worth it. As Arnold would say "I'll be back" Shops like his that kill, hang, cut and wrap in house are the ones to look for. I have local friends here that haul their animals to a processor to kill, cut and wrap and that added cost to the end product is higher. Ball park estimate would be 7-8 bucks a pound in the freezer. I had to google what a tri tip was and now look for it but suspect that only a store like Jim's would maybe have them. There is close to 80-100 lbs of burger in a side. Maybe he will chime in. 445 lb side 1700 and change.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
If you have ever seen corn feed beef hanging you would never eat it.
It has been very common for many years to feed Alberta feedlot cattle corn as long as the price made sense. As well most feedlots are using DDG and corn silage. This isn't new just more corn coming in because of high price of barley and wheat.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Very good questions, Dean.You may not end up saving if buying specials etc but you will certainly enjoy your chewing if you get a half that is aged properly with a lot of variation you normally would not enjoy. I bought a side a few months back because of how oldgutpile described how he checked the aging process. I ordered that side from his establishment (Albertaprairiemeats) and couldn't be happier with the product. The drive is worth it. As Arnold would say "I'll be back" Shops like his that kill, hang, cut and wrap in house are the ones to look for. I have local friends here that haul their animals to a processor to kill, cut and wrap and that added cost to the end product is higher. Ball park estimate would be 7-8 bucks a pound in the freezer. I had to google what a tri tip was and now look for it but suspect that only a store like Jim's would maybe have them. There is close to 80-100 lbs of burger in a side. Maybe he will chime in. 445 lb side 1700 and change.
Was the 445 net to you or is that what they started with? The recommendation for Prairie Meats is strong and I have always been impressed with his posts on meat, but that is quite a haul to Duchess, from Edmonton. Red Deer area would be a whole lot shorter trip. May see if someone is interested in a half as well and do a road trip.

JDK71, very kind offer, much appreciated and thanks for posting the info you did. I think what the two of you posted will help a lot of people who have never bought a half before.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:09 AM

Same goes for any of the meats really. Need chickens? Go to the Hutterites and get great meat birds at quite a bit less than retail. Or get a pig from a local farmer. $6-700ish gets you 200 lbs of meat in your freezer.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
If you have ever seen corn feed beef hanging you would never eat it.
Much as it sucks if you buy Alberta beef this year your gonna have to hunt for non corn fed cause anyone I talk to who feeds large amounts is feeding corn. We have a trucker running almost non stop to the trainyard for corn.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-27-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
Same goes for any of the meats really. Need chickens? Go to the Hutterites and get great meat birds at quite a bit less than retail. Or get a pig from a local farmer. $6-700ish gets you 200 lbs of meat in your freezer.
Hutterite chickens are damn near turkeys!

i got 3 of them and they were all 9 pounders
Old 01-27-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Was the 445 net to you or is that what they started with? The recommendation for Prairie Meats is strong and I have always been impressed with his posts on meat, but that is quite a haul to Duchess, from Edmonton. Red Deer area would be a whole lot shorter trip. May see if someone is interested in a half as well and do a road trip.

JDK71, very kind offer, much appreciated and thanks for posting the info you did. I think what the two of you posted will help a lot of people who have never bought a half before.
If you are looking for an option for a butcher closer to Edmonton than I would recommend Country Quality Meat Cutting just outside of Bon Accord. They built a new killing floor a couple of years and now processing everything onsite. They do a good job in following your instructions and will hang your beef 21 days upon request. One of the few places that are highly recommended but the Government Meat Inspectors. Our family has been using them for over 20 years with no complaints.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
If you are looking for an option for a butcher closer to Edmonton than I would recommend Country Quality Meat Cutting just outside of Bon Accord. They built a new killing floor a couple of years and now processing everything onsite. They do a good job in following your instructions and will hang your beef 21 days upon request. One of the few places that are highly recommended but the Government Meat Inspectors. Our family has been using them for over 20 years with no complaints.
Great info and appreciate you taking the time, but the problem is I would need the beef too and from past experience, how the beef is raised, handled and finished is every bit as important or more, than how it is processed. Haven't bought a half for many years just because the two of us don't go through beef all that fast and a guy can only use so much burger. When we were buying them I knew the farmer supplying the animals but he is now retired.

Only thinking about doing it again because the packers and retailers are really starting to pee me off with the screwing they are giving producers and consumers alike. On top of the feed shortages and low prices I can't imagine the stress of being a producer right now. Even if a guy donates half the burger to a food bank or the Sally Ann, the prices still work if the rest is decent quality steak cuts.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:30 AM

445 lbs was starting weight, Dean. My estimate on total price per pound is probably close to 6 and the hamburger is very flavorful as well. i gave half to my daughter as we would be in the same boat as you. The football kid she has inhales food.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
Just paid 1475 for a half great beef worked out to 380 +/- pounds of meat

Are you sure it was 380lbs of meat for a half and not 380lbs hanging weight? Based on what we typically see, that would mean a roughly 2,000lb yearling on the hoof. Most feedlot finished beef fattened on grain run 1,350-1,400lbs live, with hanging weight of 750-800lbs.

Most places in the Calgary area sold their grassfed yearlings for ~$5.50-6/lb (including butchering) hanging weight in 2021, which usually equates to around $10-11/lb for net weight. Based on what we are seeing in the grocery stores and the cost to overwinter cows, wouldn’t be surprised to see this price increase in 2022.

We sell grassfed/finished yearlings in Calgary and have been for the past 6years. This is what we typically see as far as shrinkage in each stage:
Yearling weight 1,200lbs
Hanging weight 600-650lbs
Net meat 350-425lbs (varies so much depending on selected cuts, soup bones, offals etc.)

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Are you sure it was 380lbs of meat for a half and not 380lbs hanging weight? Based on what we typically see, that would mean a roughly 2,000lb yearling on the hoof. Most feedlot finished beef fattened on grain run 1,350-1,400lbs live, with hanging weight of 750-800lbs.

Most places in the Calgary area sold their grassfed yearlings for ~$5.50-6/lb (including butchering) hanging weight in 2021, which usually equates to around $10-11/lb for net weight. Based on what we are seeing in the grocery stores and the cost to overwinter cows, wouldn’t be surprised to see this price increase in 2022.

We sell grassfed/finished yearlings in Calgary and have been for the past 6years. This is what we typically see as far as shrinkage in each stage:
Yearling weight 1,200lbs
Hanging weight 600-650lbs
Net meat 350-425lbs (varies so much depending on selected cuts, soup bones, offals etc.)

DR

And sorry the one caveat on pricing noted above is that this is yearlings (20-28 months at time of slaughter). If you are fine with an old cull cow, you will be able to find these cheaper, but most of it is only worth ground meat in my opinion… would know as this is what we end up with for ourselves, ha.

DR

Old 01-27-2022, 09:49 AM

My 5ft 5ish wife standing next to our combined bday/xmas gift from my dad. Whole cow 673lbs hanging weight. Couldn't tell you how much it netted other than a lot haha. Grass and grain fed, yum.

Every year we slaughter 6-7 head in late November. I think this year he's booked 8 in because a few others were looking when everything was spoken for. Price varies but I don't think its ever been more than $5/lb cut and wrapped. Usually like $4.50-$4
Old 01-27-2022, 09:56 AM

no old cows for me it is from a local farmer not a feed lot was told 11/2 old price was good meat is great look them up Caroline Meats
Old 01-27-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
I also approve of this recommendation. Country Quality Meats is where my side of beef was processed. Like Lund said, they are great to deal with. The cut sheet they have is easy to follow and the quality of their processing is top notch.

The process usually starts with the farmer as was my case. The steer was raised on our our farm by my brother and neighbor. They have built up a solid clientele of customers now and raise quite a few steers for butcher through Country Quality Meats. I held out for a fatter steer that had been on grain a little longer.

And what DRhunter posted regarding the weight/price details is bang on and matches what I got as well.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:00 AM

Slaughter weight =~1200#
lose due to non "eatables" ~ 50%
600# of quality meat

So a side is 300 # give or take a bit.

Pounds of prime cuts, steak, burger, ribs etc. depends on you and your butcher.

Also there are "throw" away items (by most peoples standards) like the tail, cheeks, internal organs, bones etc. which can be negotiated into the final price.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:04 AM

Started out as a sad story but this thread has evolved into a very helpful and useful bit of information. A lot of great info contributed by a lot knowledgeable folks. See, thread wander isn't always a bad thing. Might make a good candidate for a sticky for anyone looking to buy beef direct to help out the farmers.

Based on the last few posts, I am getting 10-12 bucks a pound on the meat that ends up in the freezer. Still a good deal compared to retail, if you have a use for all of the cuts.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:05 AM

I pay $900 to the nabour every year for a heffer, she will be in the 1100lb mark, we finish her at his place for the last 30 days with grain.
Then set up a time to kill her, and hang her, and we butcher ourselves.
Butcher all my own wild, and have done lots of beef before.
We pay him in the spring for the heffer, and he keeps her until the next winter.
I know this is not the common way but no issues doing it every year.
A buddy is in on this one with me this year, and his family will help with the cutting a wrapping.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:09 AM

Hans at Caroline Meats is a good butcher. Don't let stories about what came out of that shop ten years ago steer you away. We have six spots booked there and had to book several months in advance.

4-H beef is an option also. If you own a business, you may be able to write off part of the expense. Many of the clubs pre-book spots with various butchers but if you're thinking about buying one, look into sale dates and booking a spot now with your preferred shop.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-27-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Hans at Caroline Meats is a good butcher. Don't let stories about what came out of that shop ten years ago steer you away. We have six spots booked there and had to book several months in advance.

4-H beef is an option also. If you own a business, you may be able to write off part of the expense. Many of the clubs pre-book spots with various butchers but if you're thinking about buying one, look into sale dates and booking a spot now with your preferred shop.
100% Hans is a great guy just had him out last week to butcher a hog
Old 01-27-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Slaughter weight =~1200#
lose due to non "eatables" ~ 50%
600# of quality meat

So a side is 300 # give or take a bit.

Pounds of prime cuts, steak, burger, ribs etc. depends on you and your butcher.

Also there are "throw" away items (by most peoples standards) like the tail, cheeks, internal organs, bones etc. which can be negotiated into the final price.
Yup

Whenever I call in to tell the butcher how I want it I always tell them I want oxtail and some other cuts they never mention unless you mention it, my dad always takes the organs and tongues for this german fellow he knows since no one that buys beef from us ever takes them.

Friends of mine took the fat to render down even. Its all yours because its all from your cow. Take what you can.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
I pay $900 to the nabour every year for a heffer, she will be in the 1100lb mark, we finish her at his place for the last 30 days with grain.
Then set up a time to kill her, and hang her, and we butcher ourselves.
Butcher all my own wild, and have done lots of beef before.
We pay him in the spring for the heffer, and he keeps her until the next winter.
I know this is not the common way but no issues doing it every year.
A buddy is in on this one with me this year, and his family will help with the cutting a wrapping.
Wow!! Must be a good friend to sell an 1100lb animal for 900$. I just marketed my 6 weight heifers for 1150$.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:22 AM

Default Beef Okotoks

In response to earlier request for more info on side beef purchases. It seems there has been a lot of good discussion with most of the details presented. How we work is that you purchase the half or whole beef, we finish out 90-100 days on a strict diet so that the meat marbles up nice and the fat turns white and tasty. We will finish out 2 year olds to approx 900 - 1000 lb on the hoof. We have a local certified butcher we deal with so all of the proper inspections and butchering is done. We sell the beef to you based on the hanging weight (after kill). You will set out your cut specs with the butcher and pay the butcher directly when you pick it up. As someone mentioned, the weight you take home depends on the cuts, trim, animal etc... rule of thumb your hanging weight is 60-65% of live weight and cut and wrapped weight is 60-65% of hanging weight. Essentially what you take home is all of your cuts for the same or marginally more than lean ground beef. That includes your T bones and prime rib. give me a shout if you want more details for the Okotoks area. I truly suggest that if you eat a significant amount of beef, ie: you have 2 growing boys at home, your price is a fraction of the store price and you get to support a local rancher as opposed to Cargill. 403-813-3477 cheers,
Old 01-27-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Wow!! Must be a good friend to sell an 1100lb animal for 900$. I just marketed my 6 weight heifers for 1150$.

Hahaha, was thinking the same thing. Hopefully the friends number gets posted, I want him as my friend as well!!

DR

Old 01-27-2022, 02:17 PM

My son just sold 2 long yearling heifers that dressed just over 700lbs each. He charged $6.00/lb cut and wrapped.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
When I sell a pig to a friend or neighbor I will give them a way better deal than that.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:34 PM

The last time I went to a neighbor butcher shop with a half, all the t-bones had the tenderloins cut off, and there were no tenderloins wrapped. They sure saw us coming.

We didn't go back. I hear they get a lot of 1-time customers. (west of Lloydminster near Kitscoty)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-27-2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
This is a critical issue, especially with all the backlog brought on by covid ravaged packing plants. As much as the feedlots would love to sell and move their cattle, there may not be anywhere to go as packer numbers are way down.
If the local packers can pick up production, the glut on the market will result in cheaper beef for the consumer. If all of these cattle are back-looged, the answer may be for many of the local cattle to be marketed state-side, creating a shortage and higher prices locally.
No matter how this pans out, enjoy the prices now, because come summer, we should see a shortage and respective price increases.
Meat is going to be on sale here shortly. Several plants cutting back processing. From what I've been told the reefers are filling up to fast, and they have no trucks available to haul them south. Cattle and hog producers could take a crap kicking. When the plants were slow last time we ran tons of animals to the processing plants in the US to make up for our lack of capacity. Now those truckers can't go.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-29-2022, 12:58 PM

Part of the problem is too many cattle, as well as not enough feed.

The forestry grazing areas are eaten down to the roots, and streams turned into muddy full of Cow pee and poop mud holes.The grazing leases are chewed down also,leaving little for the game,especially the few Elk that are left.

Seems like many more prairie cattle these days also,I like my beef as much as anyone but not at the expense of our environment and game habitat.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:21 AM

I don't know where you get your data, but the cow herd in Alberta has decrease by 1.3 million animals (23%) since 2005. There's a lot more old fence being removed and land converted to grain farming than crop land getting seeded down for pasture.

New regrowth has better nutritional value and is more palatable than old dead grass, so cattle grazing generally benefits the game. In my opinion, proper grazing also reduces brush encroachment. I know that some ranchers overgraze and salt their cows too close to creeks, but in general I think cows in the west country improve habitat.

Right now my cows are getting 10 lbs of hay at $0.10/lb, ($1/day) 20 lbs of silage at $0.04/lb ($0.80/day), 5 lbs of barley at $0.18/lb ($0.90/day), mineral and salt ($0.30/day) plus all of the straw they can eat (($0.50/day) and yardage (water, power, tractor, silage wagon, taxes) ~ $1/day). That's $4.5/day per cow and 200 days/year or $900 per cow to get through the winter, and doesn't include death loss, vaccines, bulls, wages, vet bills, interest, etc. and still need to add $200/cow for summer pasture and trucking. I realize that this year is extreme with high feed prices but ranchers are going to need to average $12-1300 on their fall calves to break even. It's a bad situation as we certainly can't expect the consumers to pay more than they are now.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-30-2022, 11:27 AM

Default Lots more rain

If we don't get a wet spring there will be lots more problems, lets hope.