Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2022, 09:02 AM

Default Alberta Feedlots out of feed.

https://www.grainews.ca/daily/transp...eed-shortages/

Our food chain could be in trouble, the cold weather, lack of truckers and train movements. This goes for the hog and poultry barns too.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:15 AM

I am hungry
Old 01-26-2022, 10:24 AM

Default feed crisis

This is a critical issue, especially with all the backlog brought on by covid ravaged packing plants. As much as the feedlots would love to sell and move their cattle, there may not be anywhere to go as packer numbers are way down.
If the local packers can pick up production, the glut on the market will result in cheaper beef for the consumer. If all of these cattle are back-looged, the answer may be for many of the local cattle to be marketed state-side, creating a shortage and higher prices locally.
No matter how this pans out, enjoy the prices now, because come summer, we should see a shortage and respective price increases.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
This is a critical issue, especially with all the backlog brought on by covid ravaged packing plants. As much as the feedlots would love to sell and move their cattle, there may not be anywhere to go as packer numbers are way down.
If the local packers can pick up production, the glut on the market will result in cheaper beef for the consumer. If all of these cattle are back-looged, the answer may be for many of the local cattle to be marketed state-side, creating a shortage and higher prices locally.
No matter how this pans out, enjoy the prices now, because come summer, we should see a shortage and respective price increases.
agreed, but part of the enjoyment of a forum is to see a response and then read the poster screen name
oldgutpile now that is neat

and this is meant in a nice way
Old 01-26-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtimoseMan View Post
https://www.grainews.ca/daily/transp...eed-shortages/

Our food chain could be in trouble, the cold weather, lack of truckers and train movements. This goes for the hog and poultry barns too.
X2
It's probably worse than most people realize, way worse.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:43 AM

People were getting laughed at and threatened selling hay bales for $300+ this fall, now what are they going to go for?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-26-2022, 11:53 AM

If that protest convoy wants to build some damn good karma they oughta load up with livestock feed for the backhaul
Old 01-26-2022, 12:04 PM

Maybe thats what they should do with the go fund me money. Buy up the feed and goods in the EAST and bring it WEST.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:46 PM

Maybe they need to send more animals to the slaughter houses and let's get the price of beef down
Last week I saw in Superstore a small Rib Roast over $100.00

something has to give
Old 01-26-2022, 03:01 PM

"a small Rib Roast over $100.00"

Retailers are taking advantage.

I recently bought a side of beef direct from a farmer friend. Many are doing it in partnership with local small butchers. My cost was $4 a pound rail weight plus kill fees and disposal fees. Cutting and wrapping was about .95 a pound. There is a fair amount of reduction from rail weight, but the final price on all the cuts including the premium ones is one hell of a lot better than you can get at the supermarket retailers.

Supporting local farmers and butchers directly is the way to go.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post

I recently bought a side of beef direct from a farmer friend. Many are doing it in partnership with local small butchers. My cost was $4 a pound rail weight plus kill fees and disposal fees. Cutting and wrapping was about .95 a pound. There is a fair amount of reduction from rail weight, but the final price on all the cuts including the premium ones is one hell of a lot better than you can get at the supermarket retailers.

I think cutting out the middle man is going to start getting much more popular, when times come to decide whether you can heat your home or eat you gotta make your dollar stretch a little further
Old 01-26-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:

For the one that don’t want to buy half , Costco has AAA whole striplion for 19.99 kg Work out to be 120-130 each I was able get steaks for about $6 each
Old 01-26-2022, 04:20 PM

I distinctly recall when we had the diagnosis of BSE here in Canada and the price that producers got for cattle just tanked. However, the retail price of meat did not change very much. There was a fellow on the radio, from either a packing plant or retail store, and the interviewer asked him about the big discrepancy between the cost to producers and the cost to consumers. He said something to the effect that: "The price that is paid to producers is irrelevant."
I don't recall the interviewer really pressing him on that, but I was simply stunned. The arrogance and stupidity in his statement was huge (and I am sure why I still remember it). At that time, the slaughterhouses were making profits like bandits (and as I recall, also applying for government subsidies designed to keep beef producers and feedlot operators afloat).

Not to derail the discussion, but almost every news item about inflation talks about consumer demand and supply chain issues. For sure, those are important, but what about the hundreds of billions of dollars put into the economy by the various levels of governments. I am not an economist, but surely, that must cause inflation. Furthermore, I just saw a headline that roughly 60% of the population in this country is really going to struggle to feed themselves, as a consequence of increased food prices. Lots of folks are having a hard time and it's going to get much worse before it improves...
Old 01-26-2022, 04:46 PM

Lots of bales around here just knock on doors if you see lines of round bales in fields.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Lots of bales around here just knock on doors if you see lines of round bales in fields.
Due to the drought caused grain shortage, they've been feeding corn from the US, there's still hay available, even if it's pricey. It's the feed lots suffering.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-26-2022, 05:45 PM

I was I a little grocery store in Vermilion yesterday. They wanted $190 for 4 racks of short ribs.

Ha ha ha

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-26-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I distinctly recall when we had the diagnosis of BSE here in Canada and the price that producers got for cattle just tanked. However, the retail price of meat did not change very much. There was a fellow on the radio, from either a packing plant or retail store, and the interviewer asked him about the big discrepancy between the cost to producers and the cost to consumers. He said something to the effect that: "The price that is paid to producers is irrelevant."
I don't recall the interviewer really pressing him on that, but I was simply stunned. The arrogance and stupidity in his statement was huge (and I am sure why I still remember it). At that time, the slaughterhouses were making profits like bandits (and as I recall, also applying for government subsidies designed to keep beef producers and feedlot operators afloat).

Not to derail the discussion, but almost every news item about inflation talks about consumer demand and supply chain issues. For sure, those are important, but what about the hundreds of billions of dollars put into the economy by the various levels of governments. I am not an economist, but surely, that must cause inflation. Furthermore, I just saw a headline that roughly 60% of the population in this country is really going to struggle to feed themselves, as a consequence of increased food prices. Lots of folks are having a hard time and it's going to get much worse before it improves...
Same thing with gas prices from what I’ve seen, oil tanks it’s high oil booms it’s high, seems like once we are willing to pay a premium there’s no advantage in lowering prices until the competition does
Old 01-26-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
People were getting laughed at and threatened selling hay bales for $300+ this fall, now what are they going to go for?
how long can a person sustain prices like that?
Old 01-27-2022, 04:43 AM

Quote:

It’s 3.50 a pound on the rail here with no other fees. Cutting and wrapping is 1.00 a pound
Old 01-27-2022, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Due to the drought caused grain shortage, they've been feeding corn from the US, there's still hay available, even if it's pricey. It's the feed lots suffering.

Grizz
If you have ever seen corn feed beef hanging you would never eat it.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:25 AM

It's feast or famine in the feed business, in good years there is such a surplus of hay that it sits in piles for years and rots, now in dry years there is a shortage. I made well over 1000 km this weekend through rural Alberta and Saskatchewan and without a word of a lie I bet that I saw 25,000 or more large round hay bales piled in fields along the highway, my guess is every highway you drive would be near the same, the problem is it's from years past when there was a surplus and it can't be fed now because it's old and rain soaked and probably molded, a few years back when there was bumper hay crops all over you couldn't give hay away.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:31 AM

Feedlots don't feed hay
Old 01-27-2022, 06:40 AM

Default Beef Okotoks

If anyone is looking for a 1/2 side or full beef reach out. We will have some available in the Okotoks area for end of May. We don’t implant and it is as organic as organic gets. Finished on 90-100 days of rolled barley.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAO View Post
If anyone is looking for a 1/2 side or full beef reach out. We will have some available in the Okotoks area for end of May. We don’t implant and it is as organic as organic gets. Finished on 90-100 days of rolled barley.
So can you, or anyone else on this thread give guys a simple understanding of what a cut and wrapped Half a beef looks like

What is the starting weight and price per pound. What is the price to wrap and any other fees for a total price calculation. Then assuming for ease of demonstration that all usable meat is made into either boneless steaks or burger;

How many pounds of 70-30 burger do you end up with?
How many pounds of;
Tenderloin steak
Strip loin
Ribeye
Sirloin
Round Steak
Other Steak Cuts

I think this would help a lot of people wrap their heads around whether it makes sense to order half a beef or split a whole one with someone. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So can you, or anyone else on this thread give guys a simple understanding of what a cut and wrapped Half a beef looks like

What is the starting weight and price per pound. What is the price to wrap and any other fees for a total price calculation. Then assuming for ease of demonstration that all usable meat is made into either boneless steaks or burger;

How many pounds of 70-30 burger do you end up with?
How many pounds of;
Tenderloin steak
Strip loin
Ribeye
Sirloin
Round Steak
Other Steak Cuts

I think this would help a lot of people wrap their heads around whether it makes sense to order half a beef or split a whole one with someone. Thanks.
Price too.

Couple guys at work were talking about it the other day, seems the average is a little under $2000 for half a cow, cut and wrapped.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:10 AM

Just paid 1475 for a half great beef worked out to 380 +/- pounds of meat
Old 01-27-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
Just paid 1475 for a half great beef worked out to 380 +/- pounds of meat
So you got half a beef for what seems like a good price. How many pounds of meat did you end up with total. That would at least give a ballpark price per pound and since Burger in the store is $6 a pound on sale it gives a starting point. Do you by chance know the breakdown of weight by type of cut, even ball park.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So you got half a beef for what seems like a good price. How many pounds of meat did you end up with total. That would at least give a ballpark price per pound and since Burger in the store is $6 a pound on sale it gives a starting point. Do you by chance know the breakdown of weight by type of cut, even ball park.
380+/- i will count tonight when i get home steaks are all a good 1 inch got a few cuts i have not had like tri steaks very good small but good
Old 01-27-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
380+/- i will count tonight when i get home steaks are all a good 1 inch got a few cuts i have not had like tri steaks very good small but good
So cut wrapped all in averaged about $3.88 a pound. Since burger costs more than that, it means the rest of the cuts are a heck of a good deal. Even at $2000 a half, that is only $5.26 a pound, assuming they get close to the 380 pounds you got. That is what should convince a lot of people to buy direct from farmers, now that they are getting shafted so bad in the grocery store.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:31 AM

if your ever coming through Red Deer give me a heads up and i will slide you a steak to try