Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Absolutely! Kass, wouldn't even accept a challenge from Johnny. Kass is a tad smarter than Anderson in these situations. Anderson is a grunt nothing more nothing less.

We're sure dissecting a nothing burger here. It warranted the 4 minutes. 5k might of been to send a message to the league. Time will tell.

BW

There's two words you've never seen in the same sentence before, Kass and smart... give me a break. maybe go back on some highlight reels from the past and look at all the bonehead plays he's made in his day... he is not a respected player in the league... More than one player in this league has told me this.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
There's two words you've never seen in the same sentence before, Kass and smart... give me a break. maybe go back on some highlight reels from the past and look at all the bonehead plays he's made in his day... he is not a respected player in the league... More than one player in this league has told me this.
I am happy for Kass that he turned his life around, but as a player he is not high on my list. It bothers me when a guy works his tail off to get a big payday and then completely quits doing what earned him that payday. I hope he turns it around. I do know that his teammates like him, but it is hard for me to forget him breaking Gagner’s jaw and then mocking him.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:31 PM

You also just described Johnny and Monahan as far as I can tell (as far as work ethic declining).

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-18-2021, 08:53 PM

Well that was a weird penalty.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Well that was a weird penalty.
I'm guessing you are referring to Chuckie reaching up with his stick from the bench and getting the puck up high?

Weirdest penalty I've seen in a while, but great hand eye coordination to get that puck like that.

Flames are having a good game I think. Lots of shots, everyone seems engaged, Johnny even stole the puck twice in one shift. Sutter has them working for a living it looks like.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-18-2021, 10:18 PM

Hannifin, hmm.
Hmm I think I’ll try and go thru the D and go for the win.
But, to give up a 2 or 3 on 1 and lose the game.

TBark
Old 10-18-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I'm guessing you are referring to Chuckie reaching up with his stick from the bench and getting the puck up high?

Weirdest penalty I've seen in a while, but great hand eye coordination to get that puck like that.

Flames are having a good game I think. Lots of shots, everyone seems engaged, Johnny even stole the puck twice in one shift. Sutter has them working for a living it looks like.
Yup. That’s the one…
91 shots this year so far and 4 goals.
Eichel or the likes can’t get there soon enough to finish a few more of those shots.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:38 PM

Flames deserved better, but that dumb move and turnover in Ducks zone cost them the game. I called it before the Ducks were through the neutral zone, was already cringing inside.

Dammit. They played a good game, and Johnny finally showed up to play. Lots of shots, and smart hockey right up until the boom dropped.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:52 PM

Well that sucked. Definitely the better team tonight, tons of pressure, lots of shots and quality shots. Worked well together, only to lose on a bad play in OT. Ugh
Johnny, Chucky, Anderson, Coleman, Dube all played well I thought. Markstrom was solid, everything you need to win minus a finishing effort.
It's early but they need to sort that out ASAP before it gets away from them.
I am happy with what I am seeing, minus the 2 L's so best it yet to come.
GFG on to the next one
Old 10-19-2021, 08:07 AM

#88 Mang, needs to be put on the top powerplay. Honestly it doesn't matter who he replaces, he is working his tail off, time to reward him!

Monahan makes the most sense as he doesn't seem up to speed. Lindholm can play center and Mang can take his spot. Our power play has no puck movement and hasn't for a few years. A good power play wins games, just ask those guys to the North....
Old 10-19-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Yup. That’s the one…
91 shots this year so far and 4 goals.
Yup but a lot of them were low percentage shots, I used to hunt with a guy that had the same mentality, throw enough shot into the air and the geese are bound to run into a little of it.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Yup but a lot of them were low percentage shots, I used to hunt with a guy that had the same mentality, throw enough shot into the air and the geese are bound to run into a little of it.
Back in the day, coaches used to promote “ just get the puck on the net”…….”if in doubt, just shoot it”….
Used to be good advice before goalies went from women size to NBA player size. With equipment to match.
Not to mention a better understanding of angles and positioning.
I’ll take 6 or 7 quality shots in a game over 40 bad angle distance shots. Only exception might be if it’s all clogged up in front.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
#88 Mang, needs to be put on the top powerplay. Honestly it doesn't matter who he replaces, he is working his tail off, time to reward him!

Monahan makes the most sense as he doesn't seem up to speed. Lindholm can play center and Mang can take his spot. Our power play has no puck movement and hasn't for a few years. A good power play wins games, just ask those guys to the North....
Mangiiapani has been their best player for the last 3 years.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
Mangiiapani has been their best player for the last 3 years.
Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:15 PM

I'll way in/rant on my Flames for a bit here.

As a fan, I'm annoyed with current management. I don't mind Brad, and think he's done some decent moves and collected a decent quantity of individual talent. I like Darryl, and think he has the potential to be a decent coach and knows the game. What I don't like, is the combined product and the apparent focus on winning individual games with no consideration to the future. I'd like to see, if there is one, the 3 year plan, 1 year plan, 6 month plan, and of course, the individual game. Signing Lewis ($800k), Richardson ($800k), Zadorov ($3.75M), Gudbranson ($1.95M), and Stone ($750K), a combined $8M, seems to me that management does not have a plan that extends beyond tonight. $8M gets you a pretty good player, the above guys are not going to get better, while Kylington, Zary, Gawdin, etc. might. Leave the 30+ lead foot guys off the roster, tell the young guys you're giving them a chance for 2 months on the 4th line, and see what happens. If it doesn't work, well, pretty sure Richardson would still be available. Look at the cheap potential 3 months out vs the here and now, it's the 4th line for goodness sake, what 8 minutes a night?

What I predict happening the Flames will be just in/out of the playoffs at the deadline. Brad will be in a bind and essentially won't be able to trade Johnny. We'll either miss the playoffs or won't go far and Johnny will walk for nothing as someone out there will give him $9M/year. Flames won't be able to afford that with Chucky getting his $9M/year.

Regarding Jack, if we aren't going to play our young guys, why not trade them for someone who will play? Monahan, Zary, a 1st, and ?? for Jack.

Gaudreau-Eichel-Tkachuk
Dube-Lindhom-Mangiapane
Lucic-Backlund-Coleman
Richie-Gadwin-Pitlick

Looks pretty good to me. Monahan would have to go to clear space, both cap and on the roster. If we don't get Eichel and Gaudreau walks, things could look pretty bleak next year.

For the first two games, I've actually enjoyed the work ethic, looks like they are giving her, just haven't had the results yet. lose, tie, win?
Old 10-20-2021, 01:42 PM

So, who thinks Tampa, with Kucherov, and his $9.5M, on LTIR, will trade for Eichel and Kucherov will miraculously be cleared to play on 2nd May?
Old 10-20-2021, 02:24 PM

not a chance...
Old 10-20-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'll way in/rant on my Flames for a bit here.

As a fan, I'm annoyed with current management. I don't mind Brad, and think he's done some decent moves and collected a decent quantity of individual talent. I like Darryl, and think he has the potential to be a decent coach and knows the game. What I don't like, is the combined product and the apparent focus on winning individual games with no consideration to the future. I'd like to see, if there is one, the 3 year plan, 1 year plan, 6 month plan, and of course, the individual game. Signing Lewis ($800k), Richardson ($800k), Zadorov ($3.75M), Gudbranson ($1.95M), and Stone ($750K), a combined $8M, seems to me that management does not have a plan that extends beyond tonight. $8M gets you a pretty good player, the above guys are not going to get better, while Kylington, Zary, Gawdin, etc. might. Leave the 30+ lead foot guys off the roster, tell the young guys you're giving them a chance for 2 months on the 4th line, and see what happens. If it doesn't work, well, pretty sure Richardson would still be available. Look at the cheap potential 3 months out vs the here and now, it's the 4th line for goodness sake, what 8 minutes a night?

What I predict happening the Flames will be just in/out of the playoffs at the deadline. Brad will be in a bind and essentially won't be able to trade Johnny. We'll either miss the playoffs or won't go far and Johnny will walk for nothing as someone out there will give him $9M/year. Flames won't be able to afford that with Chucky getting his $9M/year.

Regarding Jack, if we aren't going to play our young guys, why not trade them for someone who will play? Monahan, Zary, a 1st, and ?? for Jack.

Gaudreau-Eichel-Tkachuk
Dube-Lindhom-Mangiapane

Lucic-Backlund-Coleman
Richie-Gadwin-Pitlick

Looks pretty good to me. Monahan would have to go to clear space, both cap and on the roster. If we don't get Eichel and Gaudreau walks, things could look pretty bleak next year.

For the first two games, I've actually enjoyed the work ethic, looks like they are giving her, just haven't had the results yet. lose, tie, win?
I'm in the same boat. That looks like a great top 6. What have we got to lose at this point? Even if we make the playoffs maybe 2nd round at best? I say go for it. We can't be worse.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
I'm in the same boat. That looks like a great top 6. What have we got to lose at this point? Even if we make the playoffs maybe 2nd round at best? I say go for it. We can't be worse.
Dube has been a common name in the trade for Eichal, so you have to expect that he would probably be gone. I agree the Flames should be going after him, and he will be a great addition after he recovers. The Flames organization has been saying they need a number one Center since Sutter was the coach the last time. We haven't been able to draft one, so pony up and trade what you need to.

That said however, I have been relatively happy with the way the Flames have been playing, we just need it to translate into results..

Have to be careful giving away 1st's in the next couple drafts, this draft is supposed to be pretty deep and well next year is Connor Bedard... I could do with 2 losing years if we traded for Eichal and then scooped up Bedard in the lottery. I suspect if we make the trade for Eichal this year is a write off and unless an extension is signed for Johnny prior to the deadline he would get traded. So it would only depend on how aggressive the organization would want to be next year.

If I am being honest, I wouldn't be watching or attending very many games if the Flames were as bad as the Oilers/Buffalo have been in the last decade, which is what would need to happen for them to win the lottery. Bedard would be a huge reward, but I could see why the organization would not want to go through that. Obviously there is no guarantee that you would get Bedard anyhow.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:05 AM

Flames get the W tonight.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Flames get the W tonight.
A better effort for sure except too many shots against. Need work on D.

They have had lots of shots… not all quality but it’s a start.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-23-2021, 11:17 AM

great start so far.....Lot's of jump.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:41 AM

Flames having their way with Caps so far. Pp goal from Mangiappane, an even strength, and a shortie from Lindholm. 3-0!

That shortie was a beauty, lots of patience.

Old 10-23-2021, 12:38 PM

Well, protecting a lead against Caps doesn't work...

Old 10-23-2021, 12:44 PM

OOPPSS the dreaded 3 goal lead

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well, protecting a lead against Caps doesn't work...
At least they had a lead. Might not happen too much this season.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Poor flames listening to that nagging housewife commentator…I would demand a trade outta cowtown for that simple fact!

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-23-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Poor flames listening to that nagging housewife commentator…I would demand a trade outta cowtown for that simple fact!

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
true dat...lol

Hopefully we get at least a point out of this game.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:08 PM

Lindholm with the Hattie, for the W. Fun game to watch. Not that fun to listen to. Ugh.

Old 10-23-2021, 04:14 PM

Entertaining game. By the 3rd, I had to mute the tv. Can’t take her or what she represents.
Closed Thread