Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Welllll, a ground war in the Ukraine would mean the destruction of the gas pipeline carrying Russian Gas to the EU. So just the threat of war un Ukraine is a threat to energy stability in the EU.

If it is direct targeting of the pipeline network that the Ukraine gets alot of its own natural gas from, or collateral damage from errant fire, there will be no pipeline for Natural Gas to Europe.
There are a number of pipelines carrying NG from Russia to EU. And Ukrainian pipeline is #1 on the list for demolition/reconstruction due to its technical condition.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:52 PM

What a time to be invested in Canadian oil and gas!
Old 02-01-2022, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
What a time to be invested in Canadian oil and gas!
Back to cash today. Expecting some red colour again.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
Depends what you own I guess. Earnings reports will strong with dividend increase, special dividends and share buyback plans. Also that strong sucking sound is crude draws while SPR releases going on.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:26 PM
Banned

My favourite Russian saying: Лучше синица в руках чем журавль в облаках (A bird in hand is worth two in the bush)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
My favourite Russian saying: Лучше синица в руках чем журавль в облаках (A bird in hand is worth two in the bush)
That reminds me of the Russian geopolitical risk and possible sanctions against the large producer.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
There is an old saying............................................
“Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections or trying to anticipate corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves.”
Old 02-01-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Depends what you own I guess. Earnings reports will strong with dividend increase, special dividends and share buyback plans. Also that strong sucking sound is crude draws while SPR releases going on.

Agree with this. I am not selling my oil & gas stocks! Big money has been made and will continue to be made while others wait....
Old 02-01-2022, 06:38 PM

Some interesting developments happening in the ag/fertilizer space too right now. Another sector with plenty of runway ahead of it.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Some interesting developments happening in the ag/fertilizer space too right now. Another sector with plenty of runway ahead of it.
Bhp is interested in Nutrient. Fertilizer been running up as well as food prices….
Old 02-01-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Bhp is interested in Nutrient. Fertilizer been running up as well as food prices….
Yeah. Two Ceo departures in a short time frame, both over a shuttered deal with BHP? It makes me wonder if there is a disagreement between board members and the past two Ceo’s strategy. I recall reading something about a proposal that involved spinning off the retail segment of Nutrien as part of the proposed BHP deal. The stock took a hit on news of the last Ceo departure just a month or so ago. I’m a holder. Waiting and watching with interest in whats going on and who ends up in the role. I imagine we will hear fairly soon.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:26 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaturalwoodsman View Post
There is an old saying............................................
“Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections or trying to anticipate corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves.”
No truer words have been spoken. Getting out is easy, getting back in at the right time almost never happens.

That said, I did sell off 100 percent of my Enbridge holdings today, after having held them for 30 years. The last 10 years the stock trades range bound between 40 and 55. Good dividend but to make real money you have to actively buy and sell it the past number of years. A guy can't pass up 20 percent capital gains just to earn a 6 percent dividend. If ENB drops back in the 45 46 range I will buy it back and ride it back up again.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-01-2022 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
A few developments in Eastern Europe are helping. Lithuania disrupting shipments out of Belarus, a huge potash supplier and Russia halting shipments of ammonia nitrate today. Both bode well for firms like NTR.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
My favorite is жадность фраера погубит… I wouldn’t even try to translate that one, lol!
Old 02-02-2022, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
My favorite is жадность фраера погубит… I wouldn’t even try to translate that one, lol!
The same idea, just different wording.
BTW, it was good day today to shop around
Old 02-02-2022, 05:02 PM

tech sector is still going thru a correction paypal tank 25+% today, facebook tank 20+% after hours there are multibillion/trillion company thats alot of volatilty , there are probably more to come.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
tech sector is still going thru a correction paypal tank 25+% today, facebook tank 20+% after hours there are multibillion/trillion company thats alot of volatilty , there are probably more to come.
I don't take this as general tech sector correction, except to the extent that many of the tech companies got WAY ahead of their performance. PayPal and Facebook both tanked due to bad results, poor decisions and guidance that says they aren't getting better soon while blaming it on Covid. Investors don't take well to being treated like they are stupid. Covid should be driving better results at PayPal and Facebook, blaming their lousy performance on the vid is just really weak.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I don't take this as general tech sector correction, except to the extent that many of the tech companies got WAY ahead of their performance. PayPal and Facebook both tanked due to bad results, poor decisions and guidance that says they aren't getting better soon while blaming it on Covid. Investors don't take well to being treated like they are stupid. Covid should be driving better results at PayPal and Facebook, blaming their lousy performance on the vid is just really weak.
i think the whole tech sector is the one that gain the most out of covid seeing the run up over the pass 2 years with P/E of 50 -100+ now its time for it to come back down. The big money had their feeding frenzy and alot of it are getting pull back and deleveraging as low interest and cheap money is ending.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There’s about 3000 stocks in the Nasdaq. 1600 of them are 50% below their all time highs. The only thing holding up the sector is the Fangs. When they go they will take down not only the Nasdaq but also the SP500. That handful of Tech giants also make up a large portion of the weighting in that index. Even our own tech giant Shopify is off 50% from the peak.

Rising rates will and are killing companies with expected earnings and cash flows that are many years out into the future “if at all”. The discount model makes those cash flows or chance of those cash flows coming back to the investor worth less and less as rates rise, especially from discount levels that we have never in history seen so low. Much less. I am avoiding this space like the plague. I think its going to be a rough and volatile ride with lots of bear market rallies to suck a guy in imo.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
i think the whole tech sector is the one that gain the most out of covid seeing the run up over the pass 2 years with P/E of 50 -100+ now its time for it to come back down. The big money had their feeding frenzy and alot of it are getting pull back and deleveraging as low interest and cheap money is ending.
Alphabet -google- was on fire today after announcing the 20:1 stock split to increase the liquidity…
Old 02-02-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The same idea, just different wording.
BTW, it was good day today to shop around
It was, but I ended up unloading some stocks that fell out of favour… Sold Disney, Lightspeed, Raytheon and a few others. Gonna be looking at some “inflation proof” players in staples and utilities…
Old 02-02-2022, 07:56 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
There’s about 3000 stocks in the Nasdaq. 1600 of them are 50% below their all time highs. The only thing holding up the sector is the Fangs. When they go they will take down not only the Nasdaq but also the SP500. That handful of Tech giants also make up a large portion of the weighting in that index. Even our own tech giant Shopify is off 50% from the peak.

Rising rates will and are killing companies with expected earnings and cash flows that are many years out into the future “if at all”. The discount model makes those cash flows or chance of those cash flows coming back to the investor worth less and less as rates rise, especially from discount levels that we have never in history seen so low. Much less. I am avoiding this space like the plague. I think its going to be a rough and volatile ride with lots of bear market rallies to suck a guy in imo.
facebook flop, netflix flop, google beats, apple beats ..amazon will be on thursday. multi trillion dollar companys stock moved 20+% in a day , as mention yes the fanga stock are holding up and weight pretty heavy on the index dont forget to add Tesla to the mix. As the inflation kick in, small business budget and cost cutting will eat into the growth and earning of these bahemoths.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
facebook flop, netflix flop, google beats, apple beats ..amazon will be on thursday. multi trillion dollar companys stock moved 20+% in a day , as mention yes the fanga stock are holding up and weight pretty heavy on the index dont forget to add Tesla to the mix. As the inflation kick in, small business budget and cost cutting will eat into the growth and earning of these bahemoths.
Amazon was a huge beneficiary of the pandemic response. It will be interesting to see what the markets think about their outlook going forward as this thing winds down.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Amazon was a huge beneficiary of the pandemic response. It will be interesting to see what the markets think about their outlook going forward as this thing winds down.
Amazon is down 5% pre market , Facebook is dragging everything down, responsible for about 50% of the index around wiping out $200 billion from its market cap .
Old 02-03-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Amazon is down 5% pre market , Facebook is dragging everything down, responsible for about 50% of the index around wiping out $200 billion from its market cap .
I'm watching. Shopify getting taken to the woodshed this morning too. Making a big dent on the TSX.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:52 AM

Facebook took a hit from apple’s new security features, imagine if google decide to tighten up , these are the 2 mobile OS that control pretty much everything , don’t think they will get to a point of shutting out competition yet , due to monopoly laws , but eventually company will want to start to protect their profit and interest. Everyone is fighting for market share and data mining is very profitable. Facebook is just that and they are cutting into google ad business.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I agree, and I may not have explained myself very well. The whole tech sector is getting beat on, and has been for quite a few months. I don't think that is about to change any time soon. Being completely out of the Fangs and most other tech stocks, except cybersecurity, for the past 8 months has been a very good thing. All I meant by the earlier post was that the drops in Facebook and Paypal are on top of the general runoff in tech, due to lousy performance on top of both being way over valued to start with.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:35 AM

It’s called sector rotation.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:23 PM

Facebook is down 26%! I am now sitting and thinking if I should buy some at this price… Don’t think it will go down more.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Facebook is down 26%! I am now sitting and thinking if I should buy some at this price… Don’t think it will go down more.
It’s tempting… if the market recover next week you catch a bounce back…. Like Netflix. it’s not like they are not making money they just have some hiccup to get over and the market expectations are set too high .