Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 06:37 PM

Default Garage Trench Drain

Hi there,

I live in the Edmonton area and i'm looking for a contractor that can install a trench drain with a catch basin on my 20' x 20' garage slab, i called multiple places, most of them want to jack hammer the entire slab, and $8,000, i want a drain but at that price no thanks.

Do you know someone with that skill set around here that could do that type of work ?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2022, 06:39 PM
Banned

I don’t think there is a cheap way to do it
Old 01-28-2022, 06:44 PM

Rent one of those concrete cutters, do this your self, put your drain pipe in the trench, then ask a concrete guy to redo your pad
Old 01-28-2022, 06:45 PM

Give Derrick Concrete a call.
I work for that company it’s something we can do no problem and I’m not entirely sure the exact price but being in that type of work for awhile that seems quite high.
Only thing I could think is if your floor slopes away from the area you want the drain and that’s why they said jackhammer the floor.

You would have to cut out the area of the floor you would like install a small sump pit with your trench sloping to it. 2 day job at best.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:28 PM

Thanks K12,

I just sent them an e-mail.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:46 AM

Are you tying your drain into a septic system, weeping tile, pumping it out, or letting it seep into the ground? Does your floor slope now?

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-31-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull's eye View Post
Hi there,

I live in the Edmonton area and i'm looking for a contractor that can install a trench drain with a catch basin on my 20' x 20' garage slab, i called multiple places, most of them want to jack hammer the entire slab, and $8,000, i want a drain but at that price no thanks.

Do you know someone with that skill set around here that could do that type of work ?

Thanks
I have a post-garage construction trench drain.
I ran into the same issues you did. COST!
Heres what I did. Yes, it did involve cutting into the existing floor, but.

I cut the trench out of the concrete, picked up some trench drain runners from Lowes.
They came in 5 ft sections I believe, and they snap together quite tightly.
I installed them into the floor and re-concreted them in. You can buy runner lengths, and lengths that have a drain piece on them.

Now, before I filled it all I dug a small trench deeper at one end into the ground, and under the garage footing that led to out the side of the garage.

I attached 3' PVC pipe onto the Trench drain and then ran the plumbing pvc out under the garage footing and to a French drain which I had dug.

The french drain was 3 ft across and about 5.5 feet deep.

I added landscaping fabric around the edges of the 3 foot by 5.5 foot hole then layered in some gravel at the bottom, then took and old cleaned out 50 gallon plastic barrel and drilled holes in it and dropped that into my hole.
Once the barrel was secured in the hole, I attached my trench drain pipe to the top of the barrel, and lined all around the barrel and on top of the barrel with more gravel then covered over with soil and grass.

once that was all set up, we poored some water down the trench to ensure slope and drainage, and then filled in the sides of the trench in the garage with gravel and new concrete and we were good to go.

It works amazing. I'm pretty sure it's "legal", as I don't poor any chemicals or oil down my drain.

NOW! Keep in mind, all that goes in my garage trench drain in melted snow from the vehicle and a bit of blood during hunting season.

I don't do any motor or chemical work in my garage so there is no risk of that getting into the French drain and seeping into the ground. It was strictly built for untainted water. but it works amazing.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:03 PM

I'm sure it is not rocket science to do but my back won't allow my to do it.

I called Derrick Concrete as suggested by KW12, and they do this type of work i'm waiting on them to get back to me with a quote.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2022, 05:20 AM

Let us know what they say. I'm interested in the same thing.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:40 AM
Banned

...but...but...if your garage floor is flat/level, how do you get the water to run into the new trench?

i finally quit mulling it over and put trays in to park on, then take the water out with my wet/dry vac. its a pita, but best i could come up with after building a garage without stopping to think about what i should have done with the floor in the first place.