Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 12:10 PM

Default Costa rica trip in march

Headed there in march for 2 weeks ,traveling around country staying in Airbnbs ,Anyone been there recently ,any tips ,sights to see and do thanks.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:17 PM

Go to Quepos and catch sailfish and rooster fish.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:49 PM

Sorry been a few years (4) but hopefully there are still operators for these trips. I am sure they have changed since I was there, but more likely than not, there is someone doing similiar trips.

Day raft trip on the Pacquare river. This was one of the best rafting trips I have ever been on. Full day, but the views, lunch and river were amazing. You will be there in dry season, so river might be too low. There is an option for a 2 day with a river cabin stay.

Monte Verde and the cloud forest: The night frog tour was kinda coo, plus they teach you how to do it on your own and where to find the frogs and which type they are. We did it multiple times on our own afterwards.

Arenal area: fishing for rainbow bass on lake arenal was a blast as was the paddleboarding.

Arenal area: Waterfall repelling half day trip. This was just a neat experience.

Santa Teresa: Rent a quad for the day and explore the beaches up to playa bongo. Bring a rod, you might see some roosters. If not, look for birds busting on bait. Shore fishing can be rewarding early and late. Get into the hills on the way home. Best way to access them is with an ATV. It can go where cars cant. There are ATV tours, but I prefered the DIY option.

Montezuma: Hike to the waterfall. Dont do the big cliff jump, people die every year. Except Tom Brady, he lived. Crazy bastard. Afterwards head up the hill to hummingbird brewery. The lemongrass beer is amazing.

if any of this interests you, send me a PM, and Ill see if I can track down the operator/trip I did. Im just too lazy to look right now.

Enjoy! Bring american dollars, Drink imperial or centenario 20 year rum, talk to the people they are so amazing and so warm..........and wear sunscreen.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the tips
Old 01-28-2022, 04:14 PM

Buddy was in Manuel Antonio in August.Awesome trip other than 24 hour delay in Dallas and unscrupulous rip off car rental agency
I have a realtor/chef buddy runs a agency in Playa Hermosa.Great source of info if you in the Papagayo area. He has lots of you-tube content. Search joseph emanuelli on you tube

Last edited by omega50; 01-28-2022 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:42 PM

2 weeks sounds like a long time but its not. Don't try and cover too much ground, its a big country. You'll look at distances between towns and think "1/2 an hour, and hour etc"......double or even triple that.

We spent 10 days in Tamarindo in a condo, used it as our home base. Then 7 days in Arenal at the observatory. We drove everywhere...more or less our "triangle" was Tamarindo, Liberia (flew in and out), and La Fortuna.

We did not make it San Jose, east coast or even down to Manual Antonio....that is for next time ;-) Monteverde is something we really wanted to do but we just didn't have enough time.

It is a beautiful country, check out as many national parks as you can. But take your time doing so. There are beautiful beaches, rivers, lakes, full blown jungles, tons of wildlife.

Its amazing.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
2 weeks sounds like a long time but its not. Don't try and cover too much ground, its a big country. You'll look at distances between towns and think "1/2 an hour, and hour etc"......double or even triple that.

We spent 10 days in Tamarindo in a condo, used it as our home base. Then 7 days in Arenal at the observatory. We drove everywhere...more or less our "triangle" was Tamarindo, Liberia (flew in and out), and La Fortuna.

We did not make it San Jose, east coast or even down to Manual Antonio....that is for next time ;-) Monteverde is something we really wanted to do but we just didn't have enough time.

It is a beautiful country, check out as many national parks as you can. But take your time doing so. There are beautiful beaches, rivers, lakes, full blown jungles, tons of wildlife.

Its amazing.

I've been told the roads are crappy and nothing less than a 4x4 will do and then the exact opposite? I'm thinking of a spring trip as well.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-28-2022, 07:46 PM

How are flights and accomodation prices?

I was looking into Hawaii, not that I am going, but sure as hell do not want to be here, and both are dirt cheap right now. Actually found flight and acoomodation for 2 for 2 weeks $1679 total. Not where we usually stay, but man thats cheap. We havent gone since 2015 after our dollar tanked.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-28-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

I was looking into Hawaii, not that I am going, but sure as hell do not want to be here, and both are dirt cheap right now. Actually found flight and acoomodation for 2 for 2 weeks $1679 total. Not where we usually stay, but man thats cheap. We havent gone since 2015 after our dollar tanked.
$1200 for flight and ins for 1
Old 01-28-2022, 08:36 PM

hotel extra? Not all inclusive I take it?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-28-2022, 08:38 PM

We did Tamarindo about 3-4 years ago and it wasn’t our favourite spot. Way, way too busy. And way overpriced. Sitting at a beach bar, having a few drinks and some food was no different then eating at home if not more. That being said, we do want to go back and experience the rest of the country.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:46 PM

I spent about 6 weeks down there in 1992. I thumbed my way around the entire country before all the gringos and resorts started popping up. Obviously a ton has changed since I was there. If you're in decent physical condition, and if they still allow tourists up there, the hike up Chirripo is well worth it. I was able to see both oceans at the same time. There's not too many places where you can do that!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:

Which island and city?
Old 01-29-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
hotel extra? Not all inclusive I take it?
Staying in 3 parts of the Country, airbnbs
Old 01-29-2022, 09:58 AM

Have a great time. Spent 10 days in and around liberia. The arenal volcano and rainforest were awesome. We loved costa rica. We played road bingo and none of us was able to find road litter over a 3hr drive!
Old 01-29-2022, 01:28 PM

Nice'n hot down there. Went on a Jungle photography trip in the south just outside Corcovado National Park. Deep sea fishing on the Panama border. Lotta hiking in 40ºc.... Yoga lovers and photographers' in that neck of the woods. We were supposed to drive down from San Jose. Car rental outfit stiffed us on a rental. 10 hr drive. Pick up a pack of diapers on the way down... lol. Am I ever glad we didn't do that. Last 50k is up there in 4x4.Fly in fly out works for me. Easy peasy.

Black Beach
\

Footprints

Enjoy your trip...Something for everyone there!

Cheers
Old 01-29-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I've been told the roads are crappy and nothing less than a 4x4 will do and then the exact opposite? I'm thinking of a spring trip as well.

Grizz
its not that the roads are horrible, They do have paved roads its just that they are narrow, twisty etc. There is a lot of activity. People riding motorbikes, constant construction, pedestrians, cows lol.

Our rental was a 4x4, diesel 5 spd Mitsubishi SUV haha. As soon as you get off the main arteries, yeah the roads are pretty average. Going to one of the national parks we had to cross a river with the rental. Not crazy deep, but...can't say I've crossed many rivers with rental cars before.

Don't let the roads deter you though. Its part of the adventure.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:02 PM

Sorry Biggy, but I disagree.....

Do NOT bring American money. The colon is their local currency. Why would one go to different country and use another currency. I have traveled lots, always use local currency.

When I went I ordered Costa Rican Colon from Calforex. Its not a big deal. If you call them, chances are they will have some in stock. Just depends how much you want to bring.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:26 PM

I was in Costa Rica in March 2021. Only there for 2 days off a cruise ship. But I have to say, the friendliest people. They do go out of their way to make you feel welcome. No begging like in other Central American countries. I really enjoyed my time there.

We went on an excursion into the countryside. There where 5 Jeep Wranglers in our party. The vehicles weren’t that great and we had 4 in each vehicle. The roads were dusty dirt. We stopped in a few small towns to see how the “natives” faired. At one stop, a lady invited us into her home for ice cream bars. She didn’t speak a work of English, so our leader translated. She didn’t have much, but wanted to give us her idea of hospitality. So friendly.

Last edited by 6MT; 01-29-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:17 AM

NICE I will be on a photo Excursion around the Country ,CANT WAIT,
Old 01-30-2022, 07:48 PM

I was in Quepos in early April, and the fishing was very slow. 1 Rooster & 1 Yellowfin tuna in 3 days on the water.
But loved the country and great national parks. Learn to use all the functions on your camera before you go, and a waterproof camera (like an Olympus Tough) is good for fighting the humidity and elevation changes.
We hired a car to pick us up at the airport and phoned him for taxi use around Quepos - very reasonable, and a very very helpful guy. We rented a VRBO house so us 4 old farts could have a room to ourself - pool - very nice, secure and very reasonable when split 4 ways.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:37 AM

Any more tips Thanks
Old 02-04-2022, 10:26 AM

Not sure what dates you're there for, but there is a massive soccer match scheduled down there for the 24th. Canada away to Costa Rica in World Cup Qualifying.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cost...62k5;dt;fp;1;;

Canada is top of the table - undefeated and only 3 games remaining. We are in the form of our lives. A win or a draw (in any of our 3 remaining games) and we are off to the World Cup for the first time since 1986.

Costa Rica is pushing hard for 4th place - currently one point behind Panama. The top 3 teams qualify directly. 4th place plays the winner from Oceania (likely New Zealand) for a last chance at qualifying.

If we clinch and you're there in person it would be an incredibly unique experience. There will be other Canadians there, but predominantly it will be a hostile Central American environment. Perhaps it is not as intimidating as watching a match in San Salvador or San Pedro Sula, but I don't think watching in San Jose would be too far down on the scale!
Old 02-04-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Any more tips Thanks
Keep in mind that country is one of the top places for white water rafting if that interests you.

Osky
Old 02-04-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Keep in mind that country is one of the top places for white water rafting if that interests you.

Osky
Yes on list ,will miss soccer game buy a few days.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:55 AM

I've been 4 times. It's an amazing place and can't wait to go back.

We stayed in Playa Conchal each time at the Westin. Scuba diving off of playa flamingo is great. We also did a few 'package' excursions. Check out white water rafting or tubing. Zip lines at the volcanoes is a blast.

There are lots of hot springs and things like that to check out too.

I'm envious.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:31 AM

Headed to Tamarindo for 5 days then to the interior for 5 days then Liberia area for 4 days .any ideas thanks