Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2022, 08:42 PM

Default Getting into skiing

How many folks here are into skiing?

20 plus years ago I skied a handful of times and really enjoyed it. Never got fully into it as other hobbies and commitments kept me occupied. If I recall correctly the last time I was on skis was the winter of 97/98. Fast forward to Dec. 2021. Decided to join a friend of mine on the hill in Lake Louise for a day. Rented all the gear and headed out. Now common sense would have said-hey it’s been over 20 years since you’ve done this; maybe start in the learning area. But nope- to heck with that- hopped in the gondola and straight to the top. As it turns out it came back to me like riding a bike! I would be lying to say I wasn’t a little on the nervous side when I was stepping onto the skis at first, but that feeling quickly left as the “how to ski” memories kicked in. We stuck to the green beginner runs for the first few trips down the hill, then onto the blue intermediate runs. Which was enough for me, and actually at my friends limit of comfort.

Anyway after that first day I was sore beyond belief. Took a solid 3 days before I could walk properly again! But it was definitely worth it! Throughly enjoyed it! Since then I have gone a few more times, and most recently with a different buddy of mine who has been skiing consistently for years. That was a great trip! He offered up a few tips, and even convinced me to tackle a few of the Black advanced runs. While I wasn’t great I survived those, and didn’t crash.

So my next step I think is to buy ski gear as the rental stuff isn’t great equipment-not to mention expensive. It’s starting to add up!

Paid a visit to a couple ski shops already. Chatted with the guys there, two different shops recommended a pair of K2 Mindbender 90TI skis. Anybody here using those? Comments?

Likely going to pick up some gear- torn on waiting for end of season sales and continue to rent. Or biting the bullet now and buying. Probably ski a few more times depending on the weather.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:57 PM

At the end of the year, there will be good sales, and you might even get a great price on demo skis. Actually renting demo skis from the shops, can be a great way to decide what you like.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:16 PM

My advice is to buy your own ski boots this season. Go to a reputable shop and get properly fitted. Boots are a very personal fit and comfort is key.

Once you have your own boots just rent some high performance skis and different hills and shops. Gives you a chance to check out different skis. Kind of like test driving different vehicles. Then next year buy your own skis. I did this for the last 20 years because I would never go enough to justify buying the whole ski package. Finally last week I bought my first pair of skis because I'm going to get out about 4 weekends which will justify it to me. Personal choice based on your budget and how often you plan to get out on the slopes each year.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:05 PM

i skied 70 days last year so I can tell you that boots are the most important thing you will buy.

Go to a real ski shop and be fitted properly. Places like Sportchek will not have the staff to really fit you right. Most people end up with boots that are too big.

The K2 you mentioned is a good all around ski that is well reviewed.

I don't know where you ski but Lake Louise is having a demo day Feb 18 where you can try skis from several different companies for free.

There are always sales at the end of the season but be aware that like every other industry there are supply shortages in retail ski equipment as well so you may not find what you want at the end of the season, or even now.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:06 AM

The young guy at the ski shop said boots were the most important too. Just having a tough time wrapping my head around how snug that new boots are supposed to be, and that I don’t have to wear thick socks.

I heard about the demo days at Lake Louise, but unfortunately im stuck at work.

Thinking next year to pick up a mid week pass as it fits with my work schedule better, and will save me a few bucks.

Last edited by Newf; 01-27-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:12 AM

tight boots are a necessity, but take a bit of time to learn how to set your bindings for your skill level and body type.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
The young guy at the ski shop said boots were the most important. Just having a tough time wrapping my head around how snug that new boots are supposed to be, and that I don’t have to wear thick socks.

Thinking next year to pick up a mid week pass as it fits won’t my work schedule better, and will save me a few bucks.
Go to a specialty shop, where they actually have boot fitters, boots can be snug and still comfortable, if they are properly fitted.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:10 AM

I have always gone to https://lous.ca/ for boot fitting and have been very pleased.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:30 AM

Another vote for good fitting boots. If you are not sure what that means, find a good boot fitter. I have a hard to fit foot (wide at the toes, narrow at the heel, high arch and high instep). I bought some boots from Ski Cellar, they offered a one year fit guarantee. I made that boot fitter work for that season, but ended up with boots that fit reasonably well. Wore them till they fell apart. Then, something remarkable happened. I found a boot that fit almost perfectly from the start. And at the used ski sale no less. The only thing I needed to add was extra arch support and that is easy to do with an insole. Eventually I destroyed the liners (my inside ankle bones had worn through and were rubbing on the shells). Bought a pair of Intuition liners. They are great. I got the densest foam they offered. These things fight back I have to heat and fit them every couple years but I have had them six or seven years now and they are still going strong.

If you are one of those people who can grab any pair of boots off the rack and they just fit (I hate people like that ), then none of this matters.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:43 AM

If you know what you want, I bought a lot of gear from Level Nine Sports. They have great prices and the take care of the taxes/duties so you know the total up front. I always paid a bit extra for the fully adjustable bindings, makes it easier to sell later.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
The young guy at the ski shop said boots were the most important too. Just having a tough time wrapping my head around how snug that new boots are supposed to be, and that I don’t have to wear thick socks.

Thinking next year to pick up a mid week pass as it fits with my work schedule better, and will save me a few bucks.
I did about 10 years straight of mid season passes at Sunshine during the early 2000's. Soo much fun. Being self employed, and having a kitchen nook that overlooked the mountains, it was exciting to wake up every morning to access if it was a ski day or a work day. We averaged twice a week.

I wear a warm wicking type sock, with a boot that's snug enough to not slide around. Too snug and you'll get cold quicker and cramp. Firm support is the feel. My skis were mostly previous year rentals. Great rock skis for early and late season. Outer wear is critical to stay warm and dry. We always did a couple of runs of blues/greens to warm up, and I often started the year with a performance clinic. After that, it was a few hours of vertical. Unfortunately there were consequences and I am now on the wait list for a hip replacement. Pushed it too long and steep that fateful day. Still makes me smile though.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:45 PM
Banned

Haven't been on ski's in over 30 years, but I still miss it. Dumb fearless kid pulling stupid tricks, didn't end well.

Would like to try it again though.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:01 PM

I am 74 and still get out.
I was at Fernie on Monday and try to make sure I stop often so I do not blow my heart out
The biggest difference I find from 25 years ago is we used to ski on snow and now we ski on mostly hard packed and ice
Old 01-27-2022, 01:11 PM

I don't know if you've been renting at the hill, long lines and a PITA. Its easier if you rent skiis here, and then take them to the hill. Its much much easier, cheaper, not standing in line wasting time, etc.

I know spending hundreds of dollars even $500, $600, for boots doesn't sound appealing. It is important, BUT

.....there can be some good deals to be had on used stuff. Guys get into the hobby, someone convinces them to buy expensive stuff, they don't use it and are now selling :-) Having perfect fitting boots isn't absolutely imperative, like you say you've been renting and you're enjoying yourself. Something to consider.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:12 PM

Good stuff man. I've been doing both x-country, backcountry and downhill skiing for over 30+ years now. Lately been preferring x-country over downhill.

Yeah all the expert skiers I know tells me that boots is the most important. My ski buddy, who was 1 blown knee away from making the Olympic ski team, would yell and scream every time he squeeze into his overly tight boots. We would yell and scream whenever we try to keep up to him.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:28 PM

Ask at the hill if they are clearing out any of their high end rentals. I rented a set for a couple of days and was asked if I’d like to buy them with bindings for 120 as they were getting the new ones in. Saw the same stuff in a ski shop for around a thousand. These skis didn’t have a mark on them. It doesn’t hurt to call Sunshine, Marmot, Lake Louise and ask.

Tell them you’d like to try them and ask what deal they will give you when you are done.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:05 PM

Proper fitting boots doesn't mean painfully tight, they should be tight enough that your foot doesn't slop around but not so tight it hurts and cuts off the circulation. Much easier said than done.

Also, top end expensive equipment isn't necessary, in fact it could be a detriment to you as a beginner/intermediate skier. The last thing you want is unforgiving race or expert level boots and skis.

Ive been skiing for 45 years, raced and coached and again, best advice is good boots then skis. When I travelled I always took my boots as carry on luggage because I knew I could use other skis and enjoy myself but bad fitting boots will ruin your trip.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:18 PM

I think I will probably go visit Ski West and see what they have to say. Sounds like they are a pretty reputable place from a few folks I talked with.

On my next time off work, I’ll try to get there first thing in the morning and see if the guys there can spend some time and do a proper boot fitting and maybe try on a few pairs.

Next day on the hill is planned for Feb 3rd. Weather permitting! It will still be on rental skis but it might be the last.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I think I will probably go visit Ski West and see what they have to say. Sounds like they are a pretty reputable place from a few folks I talked with.

On my next time off work, I’ll try to get there first thing in the morning and see if the guys there can spend some time and do a proper boot fitting and maybe try on a few pairs.

Next day on the hill is planned for Feb 3rd. Weather permitting! It will still be on rental skis but it might be the last.
Great shop, very knowledgable
Probably a good idea to phone ahead and make a appt for boot fitting, especially on a weekend
Old 01-27-2022, 08:49 PM

If you currently own snowshoes, or think you’d ever like the “cross-country” scene, don’t rule out a “touring” setup, you wouldn’t be disappointed in having the best of both worlds; travel & downhill capabilities.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
Great shop, very knowledgable
Probably a good idea to phone ahead and make a appt for boot fitting, especially on a weekend
That’s a good idea. I’m off Friday actually. So I’ll reach out to them.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:12 AM

I've got a set up to let go cheap if interested
Old 02-08-2022, 08:14 PM

Well just a little update- did get out again to Lake Louise on Feb 3 as I suggested previously. Had a complete blast!

This time I went with a little more knowledge as I had already spoken with a guy a ski west and got some more education.

Rented again, but this time I went for the “high performance” skis.

I selected a boot based on the 27.5 mondo point measurement from the ski shop, and I wore thin socks also as suggested. This was probably the biggest hurdle for me as I’ve worn thick socks for winter activities my entire life. But regardless I went for it- since It was rental gear from the resort I could change it out mid day if I wanted- my warm socks were in the truck just in case. While my feet didn’t get “cold” exactly, they were at the edge of comfort. A couple more degrees and I would have been back to the truck for warm socks. But overall it wasn’t too bad. So maybe it was the rental boots? It was fairly chilly that day also, but I survived so I guess the thin sock recommendation is OK.

Next came the skis- I told the young guy there that I had been considering a pair of K2 mindbenders and wanted to try something similar. The selected a pair of Blizzard Brahma 88s and said that was likely the closest thing they had to the mindbenders. So with gear rented I was off to the lift.

Upon first putting the skis on the very first thing I noticed was they were much heavier and MUCH more slippery than the last mid-performance rentals I had. These skis wanted to move, whereas the other rentals felt like they required effort to get going.

The first run I couldn’t believe how much faster these skis were - that took a little getting used to. But it all came together pretty quick. The turns were better, sharper the skis really gripped in the turns. Pretty sure I probably had a stupid grin on my face multiple times! By the end of the day I found myself really cruising down the hill and leaning into the turns and just feeling the skis carry me around the turns.

We stuck to the groomed runs all day since my buddy is at his limit on the blue runs, and has absolutely zero interest in trying anything harder. Regardless, we never skied the same run twice. And had a pile of fun!

Can’t wait to go back now-this is going to get expensive!!

But now that I’ve tried these brahmas I’m wondering should I stick with those? Or go get the mindbenders like I had been looking at originally.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Well just a little update- did get out again to Lake Louise on Feb 3 as I suggested previously. Had a complete blast!

This time I went with a little more knowledge as I had already spoken with a guy a ski west and got some more education.

Rented again, but this time I went for the “high performance” skis.

I selected a boot based on the 27.5 mondo point measurement from the ski shop, and I wore thin socks also as suggested. This was probably the biggest hurdle for me as I’ve worn thick socks for winter activities my entire life. But regardless I went for it- since It was rental gear from the resort I could change it out mid day if I wanted- my warm socks were in the truck just in case. While my feet didn’t get “cold” exactly, they were at the edge of comfort. A couple more degrees and I would have been back to the truck for warm socks. But overall it wasn’t too bad. So maybe it was the rental boots? It was fairly chilly that day also, but I survived so I guess the thin sock recommendation is OK.

Next came the skis- I told the young guy there that I had been considering a pair of K2 mindbenders and wanted to try something similar. The selected a pair of Blizzard Brahma 88s and said that was likely the closest thing they had to the mindbenders. So with gear rented I was off to the lift.

Upon first putting the skis on the very first thing I noticed was they were much heavier and MUCH more slippery than the last mid-performance rentals I had. These skis wanted to move, whereas the other rentals felt like they required effort to get going.

The first run I couldn’t believe how much faster these skis were - that took a little getting used to. But it all came together pretty quick. The turns were better, sharper the skis really gripped in the turns. Pretty sure I probably had a stupid grin on my face multiple times! By the end of the day I found myself really cruising down the hill and leaning into the turns and just feeling the skis carry me around the turns.

We stuck to the groomed runs all day since my buddy is at his limit on the blue runs, and has absolutely zero interest in trying anything harder. Regardless, we never skied the same run twice. And had a pile of fun!

Can’t wait to go back now-this is going to get expensive!!

But now that I’ve tried these brahmas I’m wondering should I stick with those? Or go get the mindbenders like I had been looking at originally.
Im a Blizzard guy, I have a wider version of the Brahma, the Bonafide 97, and 2 other wider pairs. Never liked K2 myself so I would say the Brahmas if you can find a pair, high performance skis are pretty hard to find right now
Old 11-14-2022, 03:37 PM

reviving this thread ....

Anybody been skiing yet? How are the conditions - Specifically at Lake Louise?
Old 11-14-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
reviving this thread ....

Anybody been skiing yet? How are the conditions - Specifically at Lake Louise?
I've been to Louise twice, with the latest being yesterday. The lower mountain is in good shape, although Wiwaxy is the only run they have open. A couple other lifts are open higher up but probably shouldn't be as every way down has unavoidable places with insufficient snow.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:21 PM

I was at Sunshine on Friday.
For early November the conditions are great but it is still limited terrain.
This early in the season you don't want to venture too far off the groomers or you will be hitting a lot of barely hidden rocks.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:43 PM

Gave up downhill skiing for snowboarding. Gave up snowboarding when lift passes got to 100$/day on my local hills. Haven't been on a slope since 2012. I'd definitely splurge on boots. You could look around and see if there are any local ski swaps for skis, poles etc.. if you don't want to go new.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
At the end of the year, there will be good sales, and you might even get a great price on demo skis. Actually renting demo skis from the shops, can be a great way to decide what you like.
I have done this in the past and it's a great idea. Nothing like a test drive to decide what you like.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:27 AM

There is a free demo day at Lake Louise on December 11