Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-18-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Cadomin sheep odd

Hello sportsmen, new to the board. Have been viewing often and lovin it. Great place for any Alberta outdoorsmen to be when not out in the field.
Any have knowledge as to the odds of connecting to a sheep in the cadomin area? Or how many get taken annually in the early season? I would imagine it a long shot and getting one would be like a lottery win.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:04 PM
jrs

Depends on the year. Odds are stacked against you but guys do harvest rams. Last year was a very poor year as most rams were scared back to Jasper by the hords of hunters opening day. I was told by an officer 3 rams were taken in the first two days, one from drummond and one from the red cap, i can't remember where the third came from (possibly luscar). This year is going to be a joke in the are as it opens on a Saturday, i'm going to go check it out the next week or when ewe opens as i have a tag. If you can find an area far from the access trails you may only see a few guys but last year was a joke. We camped out and by the time we hiked out we were the only ones left in the area. Only saw a few banana heads over the three days we hunted. I don't hunt opener there anymore as i spotted and stalked a nice ram a few years ago to have someone else sprint (literally) out ahead of me and fire off his entire clip harvesting a smaller ram in the group. . I was within 200 yards of the herd and was only a few minutes short of jumping the crest and getting a shot. That year i think it opened on a Wednesday and it was still busy. Seeing dozens of other guys last year really wrecked the experience for me
Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 PM

yah thats what I expected it to be like. I'm always curious to know just how many are taken though as some are successful. I plan on trying a couple days worth on a combined elk hunt this year. The regs only talk about not being aloud to hunt on mine property. What are the regulations on these access trails, can you carry a weapon through? unload or taken apart. And are they well marked? Thanks for any info
Old 08-22-2007, 06:36 PM
jrs

Finally got internet at my new place and can check around here a bit more. THe access trails start out well marked and you can pack your rifle in along them (not loaded, i think it may have to be dissassembled, i remove my bolt for the walk in). A lot of idiots kick the trail markers down opening day so following it in poor light can be hard, otherwise its easy to see where others walked in. Make sure you have a map showing the mine and national park borders and you should be good to go. YOur chance at a legal elk are probably as bad as getting a ram in that area. I have only seen two legal bulls off mine property in the past 3 years. Good luck if you hit the area.