Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-16-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Antelope Hunting - Clothing Colors

Hello everyone.
Next month I am going to be a first time antelope hunter. From what I have read in the past I see its not a good idea to use a decoy in rifle season (just the chance of being shot at)
What about clothing color choice. Do most guys wear camo or orange?

Thanks

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Gone Hunting

Hey, i would try some of Kings camo if looking for good stuff, but watch out, cause some of their prairie/desert stuff has a quite abit of sage and brush in the pattern. Prairie Ghost is no longer with us, but some stores are still carrying abit that is left. I use it and am happy, just it has a fair amount of a green tinge to it, and doesnt seem to match dry grass overly well, but a good choice for sure. If you can find some predator camo, it just seems to work in their patterns no matter the situation, great stuff to be sure. Shop around, but dont wear blaze, these little bastards will have you in a heart beat. Ive heard they have upwards of a seven power eye, dont know if its true, but i will tell ya,,,,,you aint gonna beat their eyes,,,guaranteed. Be one with the grass, pretend you are water grasshopper.....Kill a goat.

keep a strain on er.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:55 AM

I am a firm believer in Predator Camo,blends in nicely with the prairie grasses.Another pattern to consider would be ASAT,very similar to Predator ,I have both and I think the ASAT is better quality and fits my needs stomping around Dino country
I get a kick out of stores like Wholesale,Russels,etc, all the camo clothing is dark brown,hardwoods pattern stuff, its kind of like wearing a neon sign on your back saying "hunter here" Stick with an open pattern and you will be fine.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:14 AM

I guess I should have rephrased my question a little better.
Is it safe to wear camo? Or should I be taking my orange with me?

I do have a bunch of Prairie Ghost camo. I guess I will take that with me if you don't think orange is necessary.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Gone Hunting

I wouldnt worry too much about it Rocky....Just put on the miles, pick your goat, put a stalk on him, and tip him over. Sounds easy doesnt it!!!! Good luck and have fun, they are a hoot to hunt!!!! Eat great too!!

keep a strain on er.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:41 AM

Boy am I getting the ich now. I havent been this excited about a hunt in a long time.
Thanks guys

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Gone Hunting

I wouldn't worry about it. If the bozo can't see you standing beside the truck, clothing color ain't gonna help.

Actually I may have a flourescent orange "Kevlar" vest around here for the old days.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:08 PM

Well I think I will take my camo and just pack a orange ball cap and vest with me.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-19-2007, 07:23 PM
sheephunter

Just camo for me but not a bad idea having a cap and vest in your pack if you get uncomfortable with some others around you or if you are retrieving game. Take a small strobe light or l.e.d. light with you in case you shoot an antelope at dusk. By the time you get back to the truck and it's dark, you might not find your trophy until morning. Place the flashing light on it and it's easy to locate in the dark. It's amazing how easy it is to get disoriented on the bald prairie in the dark.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the tips.
I currently do carry a couple of clip on flashers just for the purposes you stated. They have came in handy a few times. Specially for those evenings you are walking out of the bush and there are lots of road hunters still crusing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8190008-640.jpg (42.3 KB, 25 views)

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-19-2007, 08:06 PM
stubblejumper

I wear camo clothes while hunting pronghorns.I Do like to carry a small flashlight and glow sticks to mark game to make it easier to find after dark.The flashlight is brighter,but the glow sticks last longer and don't have batteries to run down or a bulb to fail at the worst possible time.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:19 PM
sheephunter

The strobe on my headlamp will last over 20 hours I'm sure and can be seen from over a mile.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
The strobe on my headlamp will last over 20 hours I'm sure and can be seen from over a mile.
I wasn't saying that there aren't better options,I was just stating what I carry in my pack.Actually the service life of the new LED bulbs is so long that a bulb failure isn't likely.However,I have had batteries go dead for various reasons,including being accidentaly turned on in my pack without me knowing it,and from simply forgetting to replace them over time,so I do like to carry a backup.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:54 PM

Good Luck Rocky.

After the 1st or 2nd day 3/4 of the hunters will have filled there tags and gone home and you will only be sharing the prairie with a a handful of trophy hunters,so i would not worry to much about getting shot.

Hope you kill a monster.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 PM

Thanks BB
Hopefully between now and then with a couple days of scouting I will be able judge whats big/med/small.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-20-2007, 03:13 PM

As of a couple weeks ago, Trophy Book still had a fair bit of prairie ghost in stock. Kings would be very good as well, but my fave is likely Predator Fall Brown.

Carhartt Bibs work amzingly well too.

Dont forget Carpenters knee pads, and some good stout Leather gloves!