Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-10-2020, 11:23 AM

Default Huglu Shotguns?

Hey folks, I’ve been looking into getting a new over/under and have been looking at Prophet Rivers sale on Huglu shotguns right now. They have good reviews and most people seem to like them. I have an opportunity to buy a well used Browning Superposed from the mid 50s as well. Both are the same price. My question for those who’ve handled the Huglus is how do they compare? Any insight you may be able to give me? I don’t have the ability to handle one in person as this will be an online purchase.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:36 AM

I would not purchase any shotgun, unless I had the opportunity to shoulder that make and model. A shotgun that doesn't fit the shooter isn't of much use for wingshooting. As for the Huglu vs Superposed, that would depend on the condition of the Superposed, some of those old Superposed guns have seen a lot of use, and have issues.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:05 PM

Other consideration, Superposed won't likely have screw in chokes. If it has fixed chokes tighter than Imp-Cyl or skeet you aren't going to be shooting steel out of it unless you have them opened up. Even with the right chokes, they weren't really designed for steel though I know lots of guys that shoot it out of them.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:32 PM

That’s a good point Dean, I hadn’t thought about that. The superposed has seen a lot of use and it shows. Maybe best to stay away from this one.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl91 View Post
Hey folks, I’ve been looking into getting a new over/under and have been looking at Prophet Rivers sale on Huglu shotguns right now. They have good reviews and most people seem to like them. I have an opportunity to buy a well used Browning Superposed from the mid 50s as well. Both are the same price. My question for those who’ve handled the Huglus is how do they compare? Any insight you may be able to give me? I don’t have the ability to handle one in person as this will be an online purchase.
I wanted a trap gun and had obsessed over several makes. Went to Prophet one day and Clay let me and the wife shoulder about 50 different shotguns.
We both settled on a Benelli Supersport. It's handling was night and day difference from the ones I had thought I wanted. Originally was going to spend about 700 but ended up spending 1900, and was happy with the purchase. The fit of a shotgun is important.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:59 PM

Yeah with shotguns you hafta try shouldering it. Fit is everything. If you cant bring it up and have it sit just right, its not the shotgun for you.