Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-10-2020, 09:30 AM

Default Cast Bullet Education Needed

Hey guys, I have a brand new Marlin 444 with Ballard rifling. I have shot about 50 rounds through it and am very happy with the grouping. The issue is finding reloading components especially bullets. I am using the Hornady 265gr FP. When I can find them they $62+ a box. Hornady has stopped producing this product so it is going to get much worse.
So I find myself looking into cast. Jet bullets sells gas checked 310 gr for $41.per 100.
I know nothing about casting or shooting cast. Should I stock up on Hornady's when I can find them, or explore the cast option?
Will cast perform better?
If I cast myself, what are the dangers with exposure to lead?
How much will it cost to get set up nicely?
Where do you buy the lead from?
I could not find a mould on the net for the 444 Marlin.
Etc....
If someone has the time to educate me and helping me decide if casting is for me, I would really appreciate the time you spend responding to my post.
Thanks,
Guy.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:40 AM

Have you tried this form Marlin owners?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Check out he Cast Bullits Forum. Short answer however is, not worth doing yourself. Just buy them from Bullet Barn, Jet or whatever. Gas check if you want to shoot 1900 fops and faster, 25 Brinnel no gas check for slower. I shoot a lot of Bullet Barn cast in 38-55 and 45-70, plus 30 caliber.

Pretty good accuracy and way cheaper to plink with. They sell .430 240 grain Flat Point for 90 bucks for 500. They will custom swage to .428-.435 for a small charge and you can get gas checks for them. Not worth making them yourself.

http://www.thebulletbarn.com/bullets-lead.html
Old 02-11-2020, 08:11 AM

Casting is simple and very much worth doing yourself. I have been casting for the 444 for 25 years now. You can buy lots of different molds for the 444. My favourite is the LEE 300 grain mold, either powder coated or tumble lubed with Lee Liquid alox. You will want to size your 444 bullets to .432 for that Marlin.

You can buy lead at Western Metals online. Get the #2 alloy.

Yes cast bullets in the 444 work as good as jacketed, or even better. I have killed a lot of game with mine including a couple of grizzlies. Get the Lyman cast bullet handbook. Its not rocket science....I just cast 200 bullets for my 45/70 yesterday. Took me about an hour to do it.

Bullet fit is the key to success with cast bullets. Every Marlin 444 that I have seen will shoot lights out if the cast bullet is sized to .432. Any smaller and accuracy will suffer.