Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2020, 08:30 AM

Default rugged phones

Wondering if people on here are using any of the rugged phones like the caterpillar S phones, Samsung xcover, sonim, etc?

I'm contemplating moving to android, and these phones seem to make sense to me as an outdoorsman. Some have replaceable batteries, I've heard the cats have great mapping built in, several have flir available now, and some have "distance measuring" which I haven't investigated. I'm liking the idea of using the touch screen with gloves on, or PTT for hunting.

I just don't know anybody using these, and they seem to be scarce in the carriers stores...
Old 12-28-2020, 09:17 AM

You usually end up sacrificing performance and pay a premium for it. They're not worth it. Honestly, just get a good quality regular phone and an Otterbox case. I've run Android phones since 2008 and have never so much as cracked a screen. I'm not gentle on my phones either, I'm a welder so you can imagine the abuse I give my phones. Many Android phones have Gorilla Glass which is super tough to break and most of the newer ones have some level of dust and water resistance rating. The Samsung and IPhone flagship phones are waterproof to 5ft if I remember right. I use mine to take pictures while fishing so it gets splashed all the time. Never had an issue.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

ya I got a iPhone 4 wrapped in a hard plastic otter box knock off....I have a temper...it has survived that
it hasn't gone under water yet but has been wet a few times, frozen solid and 30 plus temps left in the car....I always said next phone will be tuff but define tuff? Same phone for many moons still going strong...even got another iPhone 4 given to me as a replacement

otter box is the answer I guess....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2020, 10:42 AM

How many phones in a otter box have u broken so far? What did it cost to fix them. How many have u completely destroyed. Companies are great at selling us stuff we don't really need. Look at how many Nightforce scopes are sitting on gopher and coyote guns.

With the tuff laptops there was a big weight penalty and performance issues. I would imagine tough phones are the same but I have only ever looked at them, never owned one.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
How many phones in a otter box have u broken so far? What did it cost to fix them. How many have u completely destroyed. Companies are great at selling us stuff we don't really need. Look at how many Nightforce scopes are sitting on gopher and coyote guns.

With the tuff laptops there was a big weight penalty and performance issues. I would imagine tough phones are the same but I have only ever looked at them, never owned one.
broken a flip phone, dam thing just came apart, upgraded to the apple phone with the ball thingy, well the ball thingy fell out so got a iphone 4 and a knock off Chinese otter box...fella at work bought a tuff phone showed it to me by tossing it off a wall in my general direction then proceeded to chuck it in the pool was about the same size and weight as my phone just a lot more durable....interesting tot see what this thread shows us regarding outdoor type phones....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2020, 11:52 AM

Lifeproof or Otterbox with a freezer bag for the win. Actually, any milspec case, glass screen and a freezer bag if one can't get a lifeproof or Defender on their phone.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:53 AM

Default X cover and Otterbox.

Have X cover from work. Dropped on the ground yesterday and the back cover came off. Snapped I back in place and seems fine but that does not seem too tough.

Have an iPhone 6 as my own phone that has been in an Otterbox Defender since new. It is in mint shape in side the case.

Otterbox has incredible warranty. Phone the warranty number on their website and explain any issues. Cracked plastic. Loose or worn silicone. Worn screen cover. Whatever. They will charge you shipping only and send you a new replacement case. I think I am on my 3 case over many years. Shipping was less than $10.

I would not buy a “tough” phone.

Will definitely buy another Otterbox though.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:40 PM

Some I'm considering...

Samsung xcover
Caterpillar S52 or 61
Blackview 9900
Doogee

I'm liking the FLIR on the Cat and blackview. Liking that some have a removeable/replaceable battery. I'm told the Cat's have phenominal mapping for things like your single track or walking trails (would work for the trapline too).
Old 12-28-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
Some I'm considering...

Samsung xcover
Caterpillar S52 or 61
Blackview 9900
Doogee

I'm liking the FLIR on the Cat and blackview. Liking that some have a removeable/replaceable battery. I'm told the Cat's have phenominal mapping for things like your single track or walking trails.

You will have to post a review on whichever one you buy, after you have had it a couple of months.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You will have to post a review on whichever one you buy, after you have had it a couple of months.
IF. I'm afraid of that move from iphone to android... But my ancient iphone is dying, so... I need to decide at some point
Old 12-28-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
IF. I'm afraid of that move from iphone to android...

Well that is a whole different discussion. I have run both Operating Systems and to be honest, I think I prefer the Android. It behaves a lot more like my PC, but then I never ran Apple as a desktop. If you have Apple desktop and/or Tablets then having an Android in the mix is a little more work. IF everything else is Apple, I would go with an Otter box for sure.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:15 PM

I currently run a Samsung S8 Active. I got it out of states unlocked , its the best phone so for me it takes a beating. Flew out my truck window last fall on a lease road and not a scratch on it. Tough phone. Its water proof to 3 meters and mill spec for dust and a bunch of other things and has a huge battery built in.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:43 PM

Rod just get a regular Samsung. I switched to android 4 years ago and I had to Google alot of things first to deprogram my mind but its worth it. Like Dean2 said its very similar to windows operating. All Android software is vetted by Google so you have to be comfortable switching from one evil empire to another.

I bought a Samsung s20FE recently for $725. It has better cameras then the wife's Apple and it feels smoother. And just get a glass screen protector and a decent case. You'll be fine. Unless you plan on using it for a bar during alignments!
Old 12-28-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Rod just get a regular Samsung. I switched to android 4 years ago and I had to Google alot of things first to deprogram my mind but its worth it. Like Dean2 said its very similar to windows operating. All Android software is vetted by Google so you have to be comfortable switching from one evil empire to another.

I bought a Samsung s20FE recently for $725. It has better cameras then the wife's Apple and it feels smoother. And just get a glass screen protector and a decent case. You'll be fine. Unless you plan on using it for a bar during alignments!
Heck no. It's usually more I forget the damn thing is in my pocket when I have to work on the cars and lose it in the snow... twice today. Seriously...

Besides, you know us millwrights are always gentle with equipment...
Old 12-28-2020, 10:18 PM

Tough phone story. I lost my Samsung flip phone in a pasture, met up with my neighbor the same day and told him I lost my phone in the field and couldn't find it so would be heading into town if he needed me to pick anything up. Exactly one year later almost to the day he calls me and tells me he found my phone in his yard after he ran over it with the tractor. The phone had been outside in a field through the winter and spring, had teeth marks on it from where the coyotes had chewed on it and dropped it in his yard and he then ran over it. i took it home and plugged it in and it fired right up. Made me a loyal Samsung client.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:48 PM

I have been using a sonim xp8 for a few years, and I tether it to a Garmin inreach when in remote areas. I used to go through 2 phones a year when I had iPhones with otter cases. I have been happy with the sonim, nothing flashy but tough as a brick, has a loud speaker, and two way capable.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:34 AM

A good friend has the DeWalt cell phone, it's an absolute tank.

Last time we were chicken hunting we were laughing we were going to put his phone on a fence post and use it as a target and it would probably survive.
That's probably going to be my next phone.

That Catapillar phone looks pretty comparable.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:23 AM

Talking

My flip phone is tough...

Distance doesn't matter - should be measured in time anyway.

Don't need mapping on a phone, I still have paper maps.

Just in case it ever dies, I bought the last ever flip phone Independent had.

Good for the rest of my life now !

Old 12-29-2020, 08:17 AM

I like $45 flip phones, when I sit on them or loose one just buy a replacement.