Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2016, 05:45 PM

Default Any one up for some dry fly grayling action near whitecourt Thursday or friday

Depending on some decent weather, was wondering if anyone wants to hit up the Xxxxxx river ,I caught a a huge male last week pushing 17" which is my new pb, the area is known for Grizzlies so would mind a partner if not I'll be going alone and I'll post results here thx. Ps you must know how to fly fish.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Gone Hunting

I trust that you are aware that the possession limit for Grayling is 0 for all of Alberta.

I gather that catch and release is permitted but that is not specified in the regulations. It may be wise to seek confirmation from local F&W.
They could interpret it differently then I do.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-08-2016, 08:19 PM

Default lol

infact there is 0 retention on arctic grayling in the entire province because i guess we eat to many ..... i know 3 people in all of whitecourt who can comment on how they taste, this close to slave lake nobody keeps grayling even when you could 2 years ago, this is is the second year the 0 bag limit province wide has been in effect maybe its working as i am now catching the biggest grayling i've ever caught or could just be that im getting alot better and am super ambitious and pretty much obsessed with fly fishing. Oh well just now that i am highly aware of all regulations in my area( probably more so than local CO's) and i take great care in handling all fish i catch with the utmost respect.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:25 PM

Default lol

keg river dont post if you dont even know that you can catch and release grayling, gues what you can c&r bulls too and any damn fish you want as long as the body of water is open to fishing.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:36 PM

Pm sent

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2016, 09:41 PM

Hey , could you pencil me in , I've nothing booked for work Thursday/ Friday as yet and would absolutely love it , I am pretty green in the way of fly casting so I'll understand if you want a skilled partner sir , but I am keen to learn how to catch .
Thanks Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2016, 10:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
keg river dont post if you dont even know that you can catch and release grayling, gues what you can c&r bulls too and any damn fish you want as long as the body of water is open to fishing.
Best of luck to you.

I will be sure to NOT offer you any further help.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-11-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:
I'll be in whitecourt around the 7th of June so I'll be up to some fly fishing
But u might have to show me how to work a fly rod ill might bring my switch rod in case I fish some bigger water, also bringing my float tube so will be open for a few different options
Old 05-11-2016, 06:42 AM

I would love to go but I have to build a fence those days
Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 PM

Joined Dragless for a day on the Berland catching Grayling. At the end of the day my tally was one 15", two 12" and several smaller. Thanks Dragless
Old 05-13-2016, 10:58 AM

Default np

np brock thx for coming out glad you were able to land some nice fish on the dry but it was a tricky day with some difficult casting and fussy grayling when the weather is warmer the action heats up aswell . dear Bobdep the fishing isnt at its prime yet if you are beginer the best time to go is june july because the fish are very cooperative, i will bring you to a very nice spot you can return year after year and catch fish readily this way you can work on your casting and not destroy all of your casting confidence haha
Old 05-13-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Depending on some decent weather, was wondering if anyone wants to hit up the Xxxxxx river ,I caught a a huge male last week pushing 17" which is my new pb,
17"? That's a heck of a grayling. A lot bigger than the little guys I catch down here. They are interesting looking fish for sure. And taste good too!

I"M KIDDING about the taste. That one was for you Keg.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
np brock thx for coming out glad you were able to land some nice fish on the dry but it was a tricky day with some difficult casting and fussy grayling when the weather is warmer the action heats up aswell . dear Bobdep the fishing isnt at its prime yet if you are beginer the best time to go is june july because the fish are very cooperative, i will bring you to a very nice spot you can return year after year and catch fish readily this way you can work on your casting and not destroy all of your casting confidence haha

I totally understand, glad you guys had a great day , I'm looking forward to it a great deal , practice practice practice!!
Old 05-13-2016, 06:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
17"? That's a heck of a grayling. A lot bigger than the little guys I catch down here. They are interesting looking fish for sure. And taste good too!

I"M KIDDING about the taste. That one was for you Keg.
I could care less if you eat them. As far as I'm concerned you can eat as many as you like, but that's not my decision to make.

I never cared for the taste of them. That's why I gave up fishing for them so many years ago.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-16-2016, 03:50 PM

They taste somewhere between a Bull trout and a sturgeon....