Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2016, 04:00 AM

Default Carnarvon Lake

Anyone ever done the hike up there? I'm reading it has Cutt's in there, and is worth the hike, just not a lot of info on how to get up there.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:45 AM

Last time I was there was about 9-10 years ago. There are cutts up there. Maybe up to 14 inches. typically skinny fish as this is cold water with not a ton of food. They can be easily caught throughout the day.
Moderate hike up there. Maybe 2.5 - 3.5 hours depending on whether you bring camp and your condition.
There is a rock wall with climbing chains to get up to the lake.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 AM

Its a nice place if you want solitude. I wouldn't consider it until at least mid June if the weather stay nice.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Its a nice place if you want solitude. I wouldn't consider it until at least mid June if the weather stay nice.
Absolutely, I was thinking more of a late summer trip, such as august or something. I've heard a lot of bear action on the trails up that way, so I guess we will see what happens, and if I can find a crew to get up there!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:20 PM

I went elk hunting back in close to there when I was younger, we were able to ride the bikes in fairly close to it if you want to save some time. There are tons of griz in there so be prepared
Old 05-09-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I went elk hunting back in close to there when I was younger, we were able to ride the bikes in fairly close to it if you want to save some time. There are tons of griz in there so be prepared
Don't leave home into the sticks without mammal dropping firepower ;-)
Old 05-10-2016, 03:40 AM

Have a look at this trip we did on horseback up to the lake, was a good day.
Second time that I have been up there, be prepared for the winds that blow through the gap. The chain fall climb is easy enough, and quite the view once you get up there.
It didn't take but two minutes to catch fish with a small mepps. If you want to camp up top there is some nice spots on the west side of the lake, but a real challenge to find any firewood, so be prepared with a fueled camp stove of some kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnpRKSxn9c
Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 AM
Banned

Default Canarvon

Often very windy on top, fishing was easy. Took boy scouts in , rode horses in with family, tied the horses at the bottom of the last climb, went with a group from elementary public school classes.
That was before bear spray was used much, we never had any. I do not venture forth in the back country without spray now.
I quit carrying my shot gun when I pick huckleberries in middle Koutney pass even though there are bear hunters driving up and down the road glassing the hill I am picking the berries on.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppysan View Post
Have a look at this trip we did on horseback up to the lake, was a good day.
Second time that I have been up there, be prepared for the winds that blow through the gap. The chain fall climb is easy enough, and quite the view once you get up there.
It didn't take but two minutes to catch fish with a small mepps. If you want to camp up top there is some nice spots on the west side of the lake, but a real challenge to find any firewood, so be prepared with a fueled camp stove of some kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnpRKSxn9c
Awesome video
Old 05-13-2016, 07:53 AM

What is tha access up to the lake like? It's been 20 years since I've been there and would like to venture there again. Is it possible for kids to climb those walls?
Also, I don't remember how far in it is. Day hike or overnight?
Thank you.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:41 AM

To answer most your questions, have a look at the video, (link above).
As far as kids climbing the CLIFF hanging onto a CHAIN.
Guess it depends on how old they are and if they are part monkey, but again have a look at the video, should almost be self explanatory.
Would hate to hear about a Stars flight into that area.

Link here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnpRKSxn9c