Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2016, 10:33 AM

Default The bow river curse

Hey all lived in Calgary for 9 years and have yet to break my curse on the bow. Skunk city. Been drifting nymphs, streamers and even throwing spinners and rapalas. My question is what is your technique with streamers? Do you swing them or what? And do you need sinking line, sink tip or what? I've been using floating with a 9 foot leader throwing buggers, bunny's, leeches, and all that. Any tips for nymphing would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2016, 10:43 AM

I hired a guide a number of years ago, who showed me how to properly mend my line while nymph fishing.... made a world of difference in my success rate. I've caught more fish from the Bow nymph fishing than streamer or dry fishing.

The key is mending your line so the flies are bouncing along the bottom of the river drag-free. Set the hook every time your indicator goes under, and eventually you'll hook a fish. If you're not getting hooked up on the bottom fairly often, you need to change your technique.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:16 PM

Do you often use split shot? I stepped up too a 12 foot leader so I'd like to give that a go and see how deep I can get it

Old 04-18-2016, 01:58 PM

Hire a guide. What the above fella said. I recommend Todd Clark or Maxwell Robinson.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I hired a guide a number of years ago, who showed me how to properly mend my line while nymph fishing.... made a world of difference in my success rate. I've caught more fish from the Bow nymph fishing than streamer or dry fishing.

The key is mending your line so the flies are bouncing along the bottom of the river drag-free. Set the hook every time your indicator goes under, and eventually you'll hook a fish. If you're not getting hooked up on the bottom fairly often, you need to change your technique.
Do you think you could try to explain how this works?

For example, when ever I cast (with the water flowing from my left to right) my fly line ends up pointing at about 10 oclock, while my leader and flies finish at about 9 oclock. What I am trying to say is rather than my rig floating down straight. My flies are always dragging behind my indicator.

This is super hard to explain, I hope I am doing a good enough job, because I think this is severely hurting my presentation.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:54 PM

Exactly correct. Your indicator will always be a little a head of your flies as the surface water moves quicker. There is little to no friction on the surface water. What causes the most problem is where your fly line is in relation to the indicator. If it is lets say 12 oclock well it is pulling everything even more. Mending doesn't just mean flipping your line up stream from the indicator it might mean flipping it down stream or pulling in line to keep it from pulling the indicator and flies along. I look at it like a dry fly how do I need to control my line to keep it from dragging my dry and creating a wake. Same applies for an indicator. Also I use a 9' leader with 3' more tippit attached before my first fly then 12" or so between the two flies . 1 bb shot attached 3" above first fly. The extra length lets you get the fly down on a slack line before the indicator starts pulling. My nymph catch ratio on the bow has sky rocketed when I started this. Mind you you will still need to make adjustments depending on where you are fishing
Old 04-18-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
Do you think you could try to explain how this works?

For example, when ever I cast (with the water flowing from my left to right) my fly line ends up pointing at about 10 oclock, while my leader and flies finish at about 9 oclock. What I am trying to say is rather than my rig floating down straight. My flies are always dragging behind my indicator.

This is super hard to explain, I hope I am doing a good enough job, because I think this is severely hurting my presentation.

Thanks!
Think of the drag. It's all about letting the rig go downstream unimpeded. If you see any amount of "wake" on that indicator, the chance for it to get bit drops at least 80%.
If the rig moves faster than the rest of the river, the chane of getting bit goes down.
If the rig isn't near the bottom it is less likely to be bit. Get it down. Sometimes it's as easy as changing the way your flies are oriented on your rig.
Fish the seams. Where the slow water meets the fast water there is always a seam where there is less turbulence. The fish wait there and chow down. There is usually a foam line there. Get your rig in the foam.
If the indicator stutters, set the hook. If it heads downstream, set the hook. If it goes under, set the hook. If it quickly comes closer to you, set the hook. See the trend?
Remember that your line is doing all kinds of things under the water. You need to set the hook like you mean it if there is any slack in it at all. The worst that can happen is you turn it into a back cast and reset.
Manage your line. I see tons of guys with line all over the place. If you are fishing 20' away, you don't need 30' out. Keep the line under control and learn to do tiny mends continuously. Learn to mend the line without moving the leader. This lets you control the line and the drag without resetting your rig all the time. The longer that rig stays down in the zone the better chance at getting bit.
Fish where the fish are feeding. So many guys get to the river and wade right out up to their belly buttons before they start fishing. The vast majority of fish live and feed within 30' of the bank. That's where a lot of the structure is.
Hope this helps. If you want help with a guide for a reasonable fee, shoot me a PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:55 AM

I don't catch very much either on the bow. I might not be using a long enough leader. Some great nymphing advice here! If you follow this advice you should at least get whitefish. I also recommend walking as far away as possible from access points. Give streamers a try too! Cast upstream, let it swing then retrieve.

It's frustrating not catching anything. You can always go to another less frustrating river haha. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:09 AM

To be honest, I started to go back to my roots with nymph drifting. My father to this day is completely against nymphing with an indicator. So when I started to flyfish I didn't use one. Once they became the craze I followed along and thought I was producing more fish. Just last year I went back to no indicator drifting, keeping a bit of a taught line and feeling the rig bounce from hand to fly and I am able to feel those light hits and set the hook straight away. As for streamers, high volume casting and checking my distance and depth of each cast taking a mental note and covering as much water as possible. If I need to toss on extra weight I will. If my casting arm and stripping hand aren't a bit sore the next day I feel I didn't do enough haha. These are just my takes and they have been working out well for me the last couple years.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon5555 View Post
Hey all lived in Calgary for 9 years and have yet to break my curse on the bow. Skunk city. Been drifting nymphs, streamers and even throwing spinners and rapalas. My question is what is your technique with streamers? Do you swing them or what? And do you need sinking line, sink tip or what? I've been using floating with a 9 foot leader throwing buggers, bunny's, leeches, and all that. Any tips for nymphing would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks in advance

My take on this, is that you might not be fishing the correct fish holding water.
Even with poor technique (dragging nymphs rather than drifting them) you should still have the ODD "accidental" hookup in that amount of time! (If you are fishing the right water). Early in the year concentrate on slower deeper runs .. As water temps rise so does the fishes metabolic rate .. This pushes them into shallower faster more oxygenated water.. In late spring and summer the tops of the runs and riffles is where the fish will be concentrated while feeding !! 90 percent of the fish are in 10 percent of the water. If you just wade in anywhere and start flailing away you are far less likely to be successful even if your handling of the line and fly is correct !!

Make sure you fish where the fish are ...then your proper fishing tactics will get you hooked up

Good luck
Hope this is your year
Old 04-19-2016, 01:02 PM

Thanks to everyone for the tips. Good to see the sharing of information!

I am gathering that the relation between the direction of the leader, and the direction of the fly line, doesn't really mean anything...as long as the indicator is floating freely. Also i'm noting that you gotta get to the bottom...I think for the most part I do this because I am usually getting snagged up each cast.

With regards to where to fish, a lot of people have fished the seams. Here is my takeaway:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Direction of flow --------->>>

S represents Slow Water
F represents Fast Water

So basically I want my rig to pass right through were S meets F? Or do I want to be more to the left or right of where they meet? What if the situation is reverse, and Fast water is leading into slow water? Or if there is a cross seam such as this?:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Should I be in the F casting into the S? or try to have my rig float right down the seam?

Sorry if this is all confusing! Appreciate the help once again!
Old 04-19-2016, 02:47 PM

Fast into slow is more likely to have fish in the transition zone between currents. Slow into fast less so (think of the tail of a pool where water starts to get ripped out. There will be fish in the tail before the current picks up typically).

When you have slow and fast water flowing down stream next to each other as in your second example, I prefer to be on the slow side of the stream and cast my fly just on the edge of the fast right where I think the strike zone is. (fish wait in the slow and watch for food coming down the fast). Drifts are usually short especially if you have a longer distance of slow water in front of you. If you can mend/roll line into the fast part you'll get a longer drift. Don't rip your fly out if it isn't riding the seam perfectly! Minimize the drag and let it play out... you'll spook more fish by ripping your fly and line out after a crappy cast than by having them see a catastrophe of a presentation.

If you're on the fast side of the current, toss an upstream mend appropriately sized for current speed .

Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XspbF4T8CaQ

Search for more mending vids. And just watch vids of fly fishing and watch what they do as they fish the water. Humblefisherman has lot of good vids on local water.

Last edited by robson3954; 04-19-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Fast into slow is more likely to have fish in the transition zone between currents. Slow into fast less so (think of the tail of a pool where water starts to get ripped out. There will be fish in the tail before the current picks up typically).

When you have slow and fast water flowing down stream next to each other as in your second example, I prefer to be on the slow side of the stream and cast my fly just on the edge of the fast right where I think the strike zone is. (fish wait in the slow and watch for food coming down the fast). Drifts are usually short especially if you have a longer distance of slow water in front of you. If you can mend/roll line into the fast part you'll get a longer drift. Don't rip your fly out if it isn't riding the seam perfectly! Minimize the drag and let it play out... you'll spook more fish by ripping your fly and line out after a crappy cast than by having them see a catastrophe of a presentation.

If you're on the fast side of the current, toss an upstream mend appropriately sized for current speed .

Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XspbF4T8CaQ

Search for more mending vids. And just watch vids of fly fishing and watch what they do as they fish the water. Humblefisherman has lot of good vids on local water.
Gotchya...I think I understand what you are saying. Definitely going to check out Humble. I guess it is similar to lakes where streams or rivers enter them. Always fishing waiting for food in these areas. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:07 AM

I'm amazed at the number of people not fishing dries right now. Tie on a stimulator and a blue winged olive 18 inches down and float those drag free along a seam and watch the magic. Especially at dusk!
It's been working well for me!
If you want to drift wets, then id do it under an indicator and throw on a prince nymph, san juan, or wooly bugger and make the line with tippet approx 1.5 x the water depth.
Also leave the city....head east. IMO the fishing is better on that section.

Just my 2 cents, there's a lot more experienced guys on here...that's what's worked for me.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:38 AM

Wow amazed at the amount of detailed responses. As for matching the hatch goes do you guys use drag nets and flip rocks or what? Thank you all for the tips as they are all greatly appreciated. It's a shame having a beautiful fishery at my doorstep and not having the know how too do anything with it. I'll give all these tips the a go and let you know what I come up with! Thanks again!

Old 04-21-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon5555 View Post
Wow amazed at the amount of detailed responses. As for matching the hatch goes do you guys use drag nets and flip rocks or what? Thank you all for the tips as they are all greatly appreciated. It's a shame having a beautiful fishery at my doorstep and not having the know how too do anything with it. I'll give all these tips the a go and let you know what I come up with! Thanks again!

Flipping rocks and nets doesn't really mean you'll match a hatch. You'll just have a good idea of what's in that section of water. If you're really good you'll be able to tell if certain nymphs are ready to hatch out so you can time a hatch better.
For dries look in the air, shore rocks and vegetation
Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 AM

Went out last night with a buddy...he caught 1 rainbow on a SJW. At least goes to show that we are somewhat on the right path! We were fishing in really slow moving water....still no luck in any water that is flowing with any sort of speed.

Also just can't seem to find an area where a bunch of them are holding up...sure...might catch the odd one but yet to go out and catch a few in succession. The quest continues tonight!

Anyone know any hot areas? We were down past Sikome Lake last night.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Flipping rocks and nets doesn't really mean you'll match a hatch. You'll just have a good idea of what's in that section of water. If you're really good you'll be able to tell if certain nymphs are ready to hatch out so you can time a hatch better.
For dries look in the air, shore rocks and vegetation
Last night they were jumping like crazy in the slow moving water....but there wasn't a single bug around. Didn't even attempt a dry fly as there was literally no bugs out. Any ideas what they were feeding on? Would it be worth trying a dry even though there are no bugs on the water?
Old 04-21-2016, 10:20 AM

If they're jumping straight out then there's a good chance they're chasing chironomids as they rise to the surface. Often times they jump right out. When theyre eating dries they usually just peek their head out and take a sip, half the time you can barely see them.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:22 AM

And under water, where they do 90 percent of their feeding, there's a smorgasbord of food so mix up the flies as you're bound to get lucky sooner or later. Don't get fixated on what's under rocks right on shore. I find the hatch match is more significant with dries. You can never go wrong with a prince nymph, Sjw, wooly bugger etc
Old 04-21-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
If they're jumping straight out then there's a good chance they're chasing chironomids as they rise to the surface. Often times they jump right out. When theyre eating dries they usually just peek their head out and take a sip, half the time you can barely see them.
I would say a combo of both haha....mostly just splashing though...so sounds like some sort of dry fly. Which I find interesting considering I couldn't see any!
Old 04-21-2016, 06:43 PM

Probably nymphs caught in the surface film. I would have tried a green floating nymph or an emerger pattern. Something that rides in the film and not on top of it
Old 04-21-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I would say a combo of both haha....mostly just splashing though...so sounds like some sort of dry fly. Which I find interesting considering I couldn't see any!
Splashing is not usually hitting dries. Unless it's flitting caddis or stoneflies. Splashy rises can indicate emergers coming up as they quickly rise to the surface. The fish's momentum caries them out of the water as they follow the bugs up in a hurry.

Dries are sips. They poke their noses out and sip a bug from the film. Often times leaving just a ripple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWHVemF4q0
Old 04-22-2016, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Last night they were jumping like crazy in the slow moving water....but there wasn't a single bug around. Didn't even attempt a dry fly as there was literally no bugs out. Any ideas what they were feeding on? Would it be worth trying a dry even though there are no bugs on the water?
Uhh. You do not understand what "literally" means.

Last night, I caught at least 12 sub 15" rainbows, all topwater. If the fish are "jumping", they are eating things close to the surface. And yes, there were lots of bugs on the water, an almost prophetic amount of trout food.

You have to look much closer. A hatch chart will tell you what 3 primary possible trout food items are available. (Primary being caddis, mayflies, stoneflies, midges, terrestrials).

Pay attention to the rise pattern---it tells you how the trout are eating.

The biggest topwater trout I have caught (a 23" brown) was on a size 22 hook.

Last edited by scel; 04-22-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Uhh. You do not understand what "literally" means.

Last night, I caught at least 12 sub 15" rainbows, all topwater. If the fish are "jumping", they are eating things close to the surface. And yes, there were lots of bugs on the water, an almost prophetic amount of trout food.

You have to look much closer. A hatch chart will tell you what 3 primary possible trout food items are available. (Primary being caddis, mayflies, stoneflies, midges, terrestrials).

Pay attention to the rise pattern---it tells you how the trout are eating.

The biggest topwater trout I have caught (a 23" brown) was on a size 22 hook.
Prettyyyyyy sure I do know what it means...but maybe this goes to show my lack of bug knowledge. Whatever they were eating must have been minuscule or perhaps just below the surface.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:21 AM

I caught a bass on a top water once
Old 04-22-2016, 06:15 PM

Pike on floating flies are a blast same with bass. You have to have nerves of steel or you'll pull that fly right out of its mouth
Old 04-23-2016, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Prettyyyyyy sure I do know what it means...but maybe this goes to show my lack of bug knowledge. Whatever they were eating must have been minuscule or perhaps just below the surface.
You know what, I am sorry. There is no need for me to be a pedantic asshat.

There are always bugs on the river. Even in the middle of January, you can see midges. Every once in a while, you will find a pod of fish rising to midges in the middle of winter.

They were definitely eating off the top, and yes, they were small.

If you are lucky, you get to see the snout come out of the water as a definite indicator of top-water eating. Otherwise, listen for the *gloop*, and look for the bubbles.

This article is short and simple, but it is really informative.
http://flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can20.php
Old 04-23-2016, 12:51 PM

Black Wooly bugger that has been weighted. Fished it with a 10 foot quick sinking sink tip fly line with either 2 to 3 ft of 10 to 12 pound mono leader. This would be my go to set up to catch rainbows or browns in the spring. Gets the streamer down to the fish especially when the water is high and discolored. Would catch some fish a foot from shore using this set up. Remember to keep the rod tip down to the water when stripping it back in. And you will know when a fish hits.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
You know what, I am sorry. There is no need for me to be a pedantic asshat.

There are always bugs on the river. Even in the middle of January, you can see midges. Every once in a while, you will find a pod of fish rising to midges in the middle of winter.

They were definitely eating off the top, and yes, they were small.

If you are lucky, you get to see the snout come out of the water as a definite indicator of top-water eating. Otherwise, listen for the *gloop*, and look for the bubbles.

This article is short and simple, but it is really informative.
http://flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can20.php

Thanks for the article! There's nothing cooler than seeing a big snout slowly break the surface. Really gets the adrenaline going.

My grandpa taught me how to fly fish in BC lakes when I would spend time out there, usually we would catch them on dry Caddis but the fish would hit hard and fast. After spending some time on the Bow it definitely seems like they come up for flies differently, so it's interesting to note the differences.

Anyway...you're right...the feed was on that night and I just didn't realize it. Which is a shame because I definitely missed out on some fun. Ordered some tiny BWO's from Icky just now...ill be ready next time!