Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-12-2015, 03:35 PM

Default Pike on the Fly

New to the Alberta fishing scene and I'm looking for some advice on a place to get a chance at Pike on the fly. Ideally it would be at a resort where camping is available. I am an experience fly guy and have a decent 16' boat. I live near Edmonton and and will to travel as far as needed to get into some larger pike. Not looking for a secret spot, just some advice to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 12-12-2015, 03:48 PM

Wabamun
Old 12-13-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
New to the Alberta fishing scene and I'm looking for some advice on a place to get a chance at Pike on the fly. Ideally it would be at a resort where camping is available. I am an experience fly guy and have a decent 16' boat. I live near Edmonton and and will to travel as far as needed to get into some larger pike. Not looking for a secret spot, just some advice to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
There is nothing secret---Wabamun for bigger pike. It is catch and release so the big pike are there.

If you are willing to make a time-commitment, the pike fly fishing in Northern Saskatchewan is absolutely unbelievable. (i.e. slightly more north than Edmonton). I had a zen experience this fall near La Ronge. In an afternoon, I caught in excess of 30 pike per day, and no less than 4 of which were over 7kg.

In the spring, the pike are fairly indiscriminate. In the shield lakes in Sask, you can also catch your limit of walleye for personal consumption with no worries about impacting the local population. If you actually want to target walleye, it is easy to catch 15+ per day.

For pike though, the better possible fishing is in the fall, but the fishing tends to be a little more off-n-on. Bright, calm days seem (at least to me) to produce slightly better fishing.

Beauval SK is your entry point to exceptional walleye and pike fishing. It is a 6 hour drive from Edmonton, but there many campgrounds in the area all attached to lakes that are capable of producing big fish.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:59 AM

Very useful, thank you!
Old 12-13-2015, 07:05 AM

scel,

Thank you for your post! Very helpful.

Steve
Old 12-13-2015, 07:35 AM

If you are not too concerned about size, fine with 4 to 5 pounds, there are lots of lakes to have fun at.

Wolf lake West of Edmonton, though I personally have not fished it, some friends of mine do when fly fishing for pike. Lots of nice 5 lbers for sure.

FloatingStone Lake in NB1 was always my go-to for the May long weekend. Just go to the North East corner and cast around in that bay. The lake has suffered a bit but you should still be able to get double digits for numbers without much trouble.

Sylvan lake in the spring has big pike in the shallows (3-5 FOW) that are following the whites. Have two rods, one for catching whites and another ready and rigged when you see that lunker following the whites. A real challenge and stealth game but soooooo worth it.

If you like beauty surroundings and something different, try Talbot in Jasper. Just too the right (West) of the launch at the edge of the reeds. Most are pretty lethargic but you always find some that are willing. And is it sight fishing... not to mention HUGE whites everywhere.

And Wab of course, nothing closer to Edmonton with so many huge pike. My biggest pike on the fly came from there.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:18 PM

Thanks SNAPfisher!
Old 12-13-2015, 08:50 PM

Pike will be in the shallows when the ice comes off, sunning themselves in the warmest water of the bays. Fly fishing will out fish spin most of the time in the early season, be sure to strip strip strip strip with long pauses. When they are shallow in the spring, you will be able to see how they react. Polarized sunglasses are essential.

As the water warms and we move into summer, when the Northerns transition from the shallow bays to the weeds, look for the first cabbage beds of the year. That's where the big ones will be. During cabbage season, that's where you'll have the best success. 5-15 foot of water and heavy cabbage will produce.

As for lakes in your area, if you want big Northerns, head to Wabamun. If you are in for a drive, as is suggested, the northern lakes of Saskatchewan will produce the best quality fisheries for Northern Pike in Canada - perhaps even the world.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:19 AM

Wabamun for sure to get a quick fix in the spring...note: is closed to all fishing from April 1 to May 14

You have the choice of two boat launches, free at the park and $15 at the town (Wabamun). The latter is a much better site and not such a gong show on the weekends.

Best fly for me last season was the pike bunny, you can look it up on Google.

Bonus at Wabamun are the walleye, again catch and release but a nice surprise interspersed with the pike!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the information Mr Fly Guy and the Fisherman Guy. Already looking forward to spring.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the information Mr Fly Guy and the Fisherman Guy. Already looking forward to spring.
Information is not entirely free. Make sure you tell us how you make this May!!!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:22 AM

Great info guys, though lakes are nowhere near me. But let's talk equipment now. I have 5, 6, and 8 wt. rods. I'm assuming the 8wt would be the go-to, no? I've got only floating lines. Assuming that will work. And tell me about leaders, tippet, indicators, flies. What do you recommend? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:53 AM

8wt should work, it will limit the size of fly you can use more than anything.

Stuff like this is on the todo list this winter, I have become a fan of bigger even with my conventional gear

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UqNnbRpwm3hG7_

You will need a leader , its pike fishing
Old 12-17-2015, 11:57 AM

Thanks what sort of leader?
Old 12-17-2015, 04:00 PM

Got an 8 wt this year to chase pike, and had a lot of fun doing so. I have an intermediate line, but find that I tend to use my floating line with or w/out a poly sink tip more often than not. On the advice of some others with much more knowledge than I, have done either a plain old standard wire leader on fairly heavy tippet, or just heavy fluorocarbon. I have also tried the toothy critter type of leaders, but find they get kinked and beat up pretty easily.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Information is not entirely free. Make sure you tell us how you make this May!!!
Absolutely!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
Got an 8 wt this year to chase pike, and had a lot of fun doing so. I have an intermediate line, but find that I tend to use my floating line with or w/out a poly sink tip more often than not. On the advice of some others with much more knowledge than I, have done either a plain old standard wire leader on fairly heavy tippet, or just heavy fluorocarbon. I have also tried the toothy critter type of leaders, but find they get kinked and beat up pretty easily.
I went through a couple variations myself. I found the Knot2Kinky to a piece of 30lb fluoro leader material to be the best combination. I made 6 leaders at the beginning of the year. I only used 2.

Here is a video on how to tie it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgBx0vjr6mg
Old 12-18-2015, 02:12 AM

My experience with sight fishing pike, was that if they are laying flat on the bottom, you need to put the fly in front of their nose, if they are tilted up off the bottom, being within their sight is good enough, those guys will swim for it. I've fished them with a 7wt and a 9wt, used Clousers and Deceivers mostly, mice are fun if they are up shallow, like 2-3ft water on banks and edges. There are places where I have fished shooting heads to get down quickly, but, mostly with a floating line, 20lb saltwater 9 ft leaders and I use the 30lb Tyger wire, about 18", and a swivel. That has worked well, easy to change flies with that leader. Most of the deceivers are unweighted, blue & white, chartreuse and white, usually a colour matching flash on them, gotta have eyes on them, I usually use doll eyes. Most of them are tied on circle hooks, pinched barbs, I have a long handled set of needlenoses to pop hooks with, also used a leatherman a lot.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Great info guys, though lakes are nowhere near me. But let's talk equipment now. I have 5, 6, and 8 wt. rods. I'm assuming the 8wt would be the go-to, no? I've got only floating lines. Assuming that will work. And tell me about leaders, tippet, indicators, flies. What do you recommend? Thanks in advance!
8 wt for sure. No lighter than a 7wt. While trout flies will certainly catch pike, pike flies tend to be too large for a 6wt.

Streamers are the main technique for pike. Although, you can get some top-water action, it is certainly not my 'go-to' technique. I have never encountered any reason to use an indicator. If I had to choose one fly, it would be the red-n-white pike bunny. Although, different forms of muddlers and clousers will also produce.

Floating lines work fine for spring pike. I would use an intermediate or sinking line for fall pike, where I've had most of my success working along the edges of weed beds or drop offs, around 6-10 ft. Personally, I like using an intermediate line with a shorter leader, but a floating line with a longer leader essentially achieves the same goal.

There is no-need for a tapered leader with pike fishing. You do not need to worry about presentation. My preferred leader for floating line is 7-8' 30lb fluoro leader material, 1-1.5' bite tippet (25-30lb), swivel/clip. I tend to use slightly lighter gauge gear for my swivel clip, 20-25 lb breaking point. So, if I get an epic hang-up, it is usually the swivel that breaks on me, but all I need to do is attach a new swivel, and the leader is good to go. For a intermediate or sinkiing line, I will use 5-6' fluoro leader material. For topwater, I will usually use less than 1' bite tippet.

The number 1 critical technique to actually landing pike on the fly is the strip set. Pike will almost always hit the fly from the side. Unless you have a big 10wt rod, doing a trout set will not set the bigger pike hooks into that tough mouth. I have pulled all the way up to the boat. Once they see the boat, they've spit out the hook and swim away---never hooked in the first place. While it certainly has its purpose, a trout set is almost a bad habit if you are fishing for pike, bass, or bonefish (for example).
Old 12-18-2015, 04:21 PM

I don't have my leader directly on the fly line , about 4' of tapered leader tied to 18" of titanium, not a whole lot different than conventional gear.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:22 PM

Your 8 is lots of rod, I would just use a 5' 20lb Maxima leader and then a foot of bite wire or 30/40 lb Flouro to the fly. Try slave lake if you get a chance, if camping there are a lot of good pike lakes in southern ab as well.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:24 PM

Just a word of caution when using wire bite tippet. Make sure your leader material is less breaking strength then you wire tippet. Most fly line is around 40 lbs test. You dont want to shred 80$ fly line over a 6$ fly. Also try two toned fly as opposed to solid colors lighter on the bottom with a darker top. Black on chartruse I dind works the best.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
There is no-need for a tapered leader with pike fishing. You do not need to worry about presentation.
Negative.

There definitely is a benefit to a tapered leader when throwing big meat for Pike - casting distance and accuracy. Tapered leaders cast more accurately and farther, especially when battling wind. Double Uni knot staged from 40-20 fluoro then surgeons to leader material is what works best.

For tying to the fly, I prefer to not use snaps as they tangle easily and are prone to failure. I use a knot called "knot again" which is basically a modified Indicator loop, with an extra overhand knot on the tag end to eliminate slippage. This creates a small loop for the fly, giving it more action on the retrieve.

While it is easier to fool a Pike with a fly than gear, presentation is still exceptionally important for getting those large fish to commit to a strike. You will need to figure out what they want, sometimes it is a rapid erratic presentation, others very slow with several long dramatic pauses.

As for rods, 9-10 wt is best unless you are fishing for small Pike with trout flies. As was said above, most Pike flies are large with big hooks. You will need to be able to cast them effectively, and fight a big fish if it takes.

You will need be reasonably efficient at the double haul, especially when casting into the wind. This is where premium fly line really shines.

As was suggested, a pair of jaw spreaders and hook-outs work wonders at removing flies quickly and efficiently. Definitely invest in a pair, tie them together, so you are less likely to lose one or the other overboard.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:36 AM

All great information guys. Thanks a lot. I see I have to buy a couple of small things and tie some new fly patterns.

Steve
Old 12-19-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post

There definitely is a benefit to a tapered leader when throwing big meat for Pike - casting distance and accuracy. Tapered leaders cast more accurately and farther, especially when battling wind. Double Uni knot stage.
You will need be reasonably efficient at the double haul, especially when casting into the wind. This is where premium fly line really shines.
I *know* you are right. I never found a benefit, but I think my data set is incomplete.

I do almost all my fishing from a pontoon/canoe/kayak. I started with tapered leaders but I found no benefit without being able to stand up to cast. In a personal watercraft (especially in a canoe), there is no 'fighting' the wind. In the shield lakes in Sask, there is almost always a way to tuck in out of the wind. With a 25km/h wind, it is very difficult to paddle a canoe solo across open water (unless travelling in the direction of the wind). So I have not faced the issue of the wind very often.

Over the last couple of years, my double haul has improved dramatically. Again, fishing with my butt at water level, it is the most critical tool in the casting repertoire. I think that my casting is good enough now that I very well could see an improvement by using a tapered leader.

Thanks man. Great tips. I cannot wait to try this out in the spring.

This is the type of 'by the facts' discourse that makes message boards so awesome.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:14 PM

Certainly glad I asked. Learning lots.

Is there a specific type of line you prefer for pike or is your basic weight forward good for surface fishing? Anything specific like a sink tip better than full sink for getting down deeper? Rods and reels I have. Flies I can tie now that I've got some info from this thread. Leaders are becoming clear too.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Certainly glad I asked. Learning lots.

Is there a specific type of line you prefer for pike or is your basic weight forward good for surface fishing? Anything specific like a sink tip better than full sink for getting down deeper? Rods and reels I have. Flies I can tie now that I've got some info from this thread. Leaders are becoming clear too.
line with an aggressive taper is best, but a normal WF will do just fine. In the spring, pike will be very shallow and a sink tip will be more of a hindrance than anything, but as the season moves on it may be useful. For leaders I just use 15lb mono for 7 or 8 feet then a 18" or so of 50lb which I use as a bite leader (check it after every fish and change it if it's too frayed).

you can often sight fish for pike, if you see one following strip your fly away from it and they will chase it down.

make sure you've got some long needle nose pliers or forceps, jaw spreaders help too.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-19-2015, 07:08 PM

If you are having a problems casting you need to shorten the leader, nothing more. Tapered leaders are a waste of money for Pike. Best presentation I have had luck with is the least delicate presentation, go in with a splash. They are Pike......What kind of delicate presentation is used spin casting? Just get out there and pound the water...literally. That will attract them more than anything.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:16 PM

I agree with lanny you don't need tho get to fancy to to expensive to start, The big fly may be a challenge to cast in the wind. I use small tarpon flies (the ones that don't catch tarpon) and they work fine when the bite is on.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
If you are having a problems casting you need to shorten the leader, nothing more. Tapered leaders are a waste of money for Pike. Best presentation I have had luck with is the least delicate presentation, go in with a splash. They are Pike......What kind of delicate presentation is used spin casting? Just get out there and pound the water...literally. That will attract them more than anything.
I agree with you---presentation does not matter. Further to that, there is no such thing as a delicate presentation once you have 7" water-soaked fly.

A tapered leader that someone would use for trout is a waste of money---I agree. But what The Fisherman Guy is saying is really simple---a 2 stage taper.
40lb -> 20lb. I have 40lb leader and 20lb leader material. It will take less than 25 sec extra time to make a tapered leader with his specs over the straight 40lb leader material that I am already using. While there is the initial cost of getting both 40lb and 20lb spools of leader material, the cost per leader is almost exactly the same.

With bass, you also want that *slap* when the popper hits the water and it is much easier to do with a tapered leader because the angler more directly connected to the fly. In this case, I will actually use a 1x tapered trout leader. But in this case, a leader will easily last an entire season because there is almost no chance of hangups with topwater dedicated gear.

Ultimately, it is not presentation that is in question with a tapered leader---it is casting distance/power and accuracy. For almost no increase in net cost, it kind of seems like a no-brainer to use them. Up until this point, I have been very successful with non-tapered leaders. If this increases my casting comfort, it seems like a really simple change.