Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2011, 11:01 AM

Default And it begins!!!!

I had a young guy come to the house yesterday. He presented himself and said he was from calgary, asked if there was a way for him to get back to a gas well on our land. He then started asking if he could get to the neighbors gas well and the other neighbors gas well. Then asked how he gets to the bottom of the coulee to the river bottom. Dad finally asked the fellow " what are you looking for exactly " and the guy finally broke down and said " mule deer ". Sorry no hunting. Then he asked if he could take a boat down the river and walk in on the bottom. What part of no hunting don't you understand. My question is this. Why do people try to beat around the bush while trying to obtain hunting permission. Save a lot of time by just saying who you are and what your intentions are. I don't get it.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:13 AM

Hey at least he showed up at your doorstep and engaged you, albiet in an around the bush way.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:14 AM

I guess instead of trying to strike up a convo he could of bypassed it all and just went on your land? You said he was young...maybe nervous? In the end he showed the decency to ask.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
I guess instead of trying to strike up a convo he could of bypassed it all and just went on your land? You said he was young...maybe nervous? In the end he showed the decency to ask.
he was trying to make like he was going to work on the gas well. If we had of told him " oh the lease road is right over there, I don't think he would have even asked to hunt".
Old 10-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Rhino81,

If he had come and introduced himself and asked for hunting permission would it have been granted? or do you not allow hunting at all?

I am just curious, there is no "hidden agenda" in my question.

LC
Old 10-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Rhino81,

If he had come and introduced himself and asked for hunting permission would it have been granted? or do you not allow hunting at all?

I am just curious, there is no "hidden agenda" in my question.

LC
We usually won't allow permission but it never hurts to try right. Have a few quarters that he might have been able to talk himself onto.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
We usually won't allow permission but it never hurts to try right. Have a few quarters that he might have been able to talk himself onto.
For sure. I know I have had luck asking places where other guys have had no luck. I think its all about how its done and what kind of "vibe" the landowner gets from you and vice versa.

LC
Old 10-15-2011, 12:05 PM

I think he did a good job just by asking!

And I think based on what I was told some time ago (long time ago); as a loadowner you can prevent someone (on foot) of accessing 100m from the high water line of any river or stream...etc. etc. ???

From a personal standpoint, I would never play this card when asking permission to HUNT, but to FISH I might throw it out there...
Old 10-15-2011, 12:20 PM

Well at least he asked. Maybe didn't go about it the right way, possibly very nervous as i am sometimes going up to a strangers place to ask for permission. Could be his way of trying to make small talk. Some people have the gift of the gab, he obviously doesn't, as well as myself. I agree he should of come right out and asked what he wanted.
What would be worse if he went on the lease road without asking, getting caught and questioned by you, and telling a lie that he was some type of oil/gas lease site worker, but then this would be a different thread.
Just remember it is tough for some of us hunters that don't have the privilege or opportunity to own land that we can hunt on to go and knock on numerous farmer/landowners doors to get access. It is not my most favorite thing to do but I do it cause I enjoy hunting and getting out to try and harvest an animal.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:28 PM

Often I have asked permission, and although the answer was "no", the land owner DID give me directions to households where permission would be granted on their land.
Also, one farm I hunt on lets us hunt ducks and geese , but NOT deer.
Anther where i used to bow hunt ( a market garden) let us hunt deer but absolutely NO coyotes (they ate the mice!) so it never hurts to be explicit on just what your quarry is!
Cat
Old 10-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
I think he did a good job just by asking!

And I think based on what I was told some time ago (long time ago); as a loadowner you can prevent someone (on foot) of accessing 100m from the high water line of any river or stream...etc. etc. ???

From a personal standpoint, I would never play this card when asking permission to HUNT, but to FISH I might throw it out there...
the 100m from high water is not correct.

The "bed and shores" of most all permanent water bodies is public land.

The definition of "shores" is always a debate. And you have to get access to the shore legally.

To the original post it doesn't sound like the fellow did anything wrong to many of us. Maybe one had to be there to detect him being sneaky or something.
I think I may have taken the opportunity to offer his some pointers on how to approach a land owner for permission. Did you at least explain to him why you would not give him permission?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-15-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
the 100m from high water is not correct.

The "bed and shores" of most all permanent water bodies is public land.

The definition of "shores" is always a debate. And you have to get access to the shore legally.

To the original post it doesn't sound like the fellow did anything wrong to many of us. Maybe one had to be there to detect him being sneaky or something.
I think I may have taken the opportunity to offer his some pointers on how to approach a land owner for permission. Did you at least explain to him why you would not give him permission?
we did explain to him that we have had problems in the past with hunters shooting towards the house. we were not rude with the guy.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:35 PM

When I was growing up on a cattle ranch in Sask. we hated deer hunting season. There is nothing like here a bullet go 'zing' behind you to make you fill your shorts!

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:37 PM

I honestly get super nervous while asking for permission, but then again usually its pretty clear when i show up on the porch in my camo what my intention is. Sometimes people just dont want you messing around, which is totally understandable with all of the stuff they have had to put up with. Alot of the time you meet quality people who are more than willing to either let you hunt or direct you some place where you can hunt. Often they will take you right to the stuff! Most of the places I hunt are either long time family friends places, or Ranches where Ive worked so usually I dont have to go ask. When i do though its pretty intimidating.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Rambo View Post
I honestly get super nervous while asking for permission, but then again usually its pretty clear when i show up on the porch in my camo what my intention is. Sometimes people just dont want you messing around, which is totally understandable with all of the stuff they have had to put up with. Alot of the time you meet quality people who are more than willing to either let you hunt or direct you some place where you can hunt. Often they will take you right to the stuff! Most of the places I hunt are either long time family friends places, or Ranches where Ive worked so usually I dont have to go ask. When i do though its pretty intimidating.
Try not showing up in camo, try showing up well before the season not during and I bet you do a lot better.

LC
Old 10-15-2011, 01:57 PM

I've approached many landowners over the years and am always nervous about it. However, the first words after the greeting should simply be: do you allow access for hunting?
Plain and simple.
And without being rude, snotty or otherwise the landowner should simply answer: yes or no.
Done.
No beating around the bush, no hidden agendas, no life stories etc. etc. from either party.

As for access to lands adjacent to navigable waters, the crown owns the bed and shore to the high water mark. This will usually be quite obvious unless the landowner altered the shoreline for instance by dumping sand or rip rap (yes this is illegal without Gov't approval) or by allowing significant shoreline deterioration from livestock to occur (which, given the state of water quality in this province, is just plain stupid)
Old 10-15-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Try not showing up in camo, try showing up well before the season not during and I bet you do a lot better.

LC
Not saying I don't do well at aquiring permission, I also ask preseason but make it clear what Im asking about, not like the guy described in the story.