Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2011, 03:25 PM

Default How long do geese feed?

Now that I have all the required gear, the SIL and I are out after geese tomorrow. Does anyone know how long they feed for in the morning before returning to their roost (water)? We plan to scout in the am and shoot in the pm.

Bobby B.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:46 PM

You got right idea.

Its depends on the weather big time.

Bad weather they will fly late around 10am and stay all day, leave around 2pm. They wont fly again that day.

In more normal weather they will fly after first light and leave the feild around 10am. I saw geese in a couple feilds this morning and 11am.

Geese hunting in the evenings are hit and miss coming into the late season. A better way to do it. Is scout in the evenings and hunt the mornings. Not all birds will leave the water to come for a evening feed.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Yup, depends on the weather. And to some extent, the time of year. Later in the season they will stay later.

Figure on the first ones landing before you can see them. They don't always, but often enough to make being in the blind before you can see the field well worth it.

Took that photo 15 minutes after the first birds had landed. There wasn't enough light to photograph them silhouetted against the sky for the first few and I couldn't even see the birds in the field yet when this flock came in.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Steve is right. Its all depends on the weather. I have seen them out in the morning for 45 mins and as long as 6 hours. If its crappy weather out don’t be surprised to seem them feed for several hours. The warmer the weather, the shorter their feeding times will be.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-14-2011, 07:38 PM

Smile Steve has got it!

It still depends on ha=ow far they have traveled, the weather, and things I don't know but the evening is for scouting, the morning for shooting!

Pray for wind, the more the better (unless they migrate).
Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Gone Hunting

and if you are scouting in the afternoon, make darn sure you "put them to bed"...ie watch until they leave to head back to their roost when they want, not because of a coyote, road hunter etc.... try to mark where they were in the field as close as you can...in the darkness of the next morning you will find their scat, feathers etc....Good Luck!!!! and enjoy