Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Default saltlick/baiting/problems

I know this has nearly been kicked to death in another thread, but i think i have a fairly simple solution.

My dad just moved here from manitoba and is wanting to throw out some saltlicks to watch deer, he seems to figure a logical situation is to place the saltblock in a rubber dish of sorts. We used to use small dishes for goats water about 6 inch's high and 20 inchs across that would work perfect.

Would this not eliminate the issue of the residue? even if you moved it the day before the hunt, it seems there would be no trace.

what do you guys think?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
I know this has nearly been kicked to death in another thread, but i think i have a fairly simple solution.

My dad just moved here from manitoba and is wanting to throw out some saltlicks to watch deer, he seems to figure a logical situation is to place the saltblock in a rubber dish of sorts. We used to use small dishes for goats water about 6 inch's high and 20 inchs across that would work perfect.

Would this not eliminate the issue of the residue? even if you moved it the day before the hunt, it seems there would be no trace.

what do you guys think?
I think this thread is going to go sideways real fast!!
Cat
Old 10-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think this thread is going to go sideways real fast!!
Cat
X2
Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Pretty sure F&W won't give a **** about a plastic container. It's still illegal and that's that! Why do people not understand it's a law and until something changes you cannot put any sort of bait or mineral out where you plan on hunting.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
Pretty sure F&W won't give a **** about a plastic container. It's still illegal and that's that! Why do people not understand it's a law and until something changes you cannot put any sort of bait or mineral out where you plan on hunting.
X2

I was told I was spreading "false information"...well at least my so called "false information" err'd on the side of caution....but apparently I ruffled feathers and I was labelled a "so called expert" so I will follow the rules as I see fit and I know I will not get me into any "situations" with F&W and all the "true experts" who skirt the rules can find out the hard way.

LC
Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Gone Hunting

The law says:
It is unlawful to

set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:
ammunition of less than .23 calibre,
ammunition that contains non-expanding bullets,
an auto-loading firearm that has the capacity to hold more than 5 cartridges in the magazine,
a shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less,
a shotgun in a bird sanctuary,
bait, except as permitted for the hunting of black bears (click here for more information on Black Bear baiting),

It does not say you cannot sit in a tree over a salt block, it says "set out use or employ"

So if you set out use and employ a salt block to encourage deer to come to a location, you should not hunt there. Even once you have removed the salt block the act of using it has been committed.

That is the way I see it.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
The law says:
It is unlawful to

set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:
ammunition of less than .23 calibre,
ammunition that contains non-expanding bullets,
an auto-loading firearm that has the capacity to hold more than 5 cartridges in the magazine,
a shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less,
a shotgun in a bird sanctuary,
bait, except as permitted for the hunting of black bears (click here for more information on Black Bear baiting),

It does not say you cannot sit in a tree over a salt block, it says "set out use or employ"

So if you set out use and employ a salt block to encourage deer to come to a location, you should not hunt there. Even once you have removed the salt block the act of using it has been committed.

That is the way I see it.

X2 I agree 100%
Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 PM

Dear Mr. Whitetail,

Please be advised that this salt lick (bait), will be removed effective October 31. Even though you have been coming here every day to enjoy it, and it has become part of your nature, do not bother to do so on November 1.

Thank-you for reading this and for your (un)expected co-operation.

*shaking my head here* - intent of the law can be as powerful as the written law itself. I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me to pretty clearly illegal, and frankly, IMO, unethical as well.

Only my opinion - to each his own!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM

Default Sask and alot of the world baits???

In Alberta the answer is obvious, no baiting. As for ethical, that is something to be debated completely separate. In Texas the stands are on top of the feeders. In Northern Sask, baiting is allowed.

Basically, I don't like the idea of a grain pile in the bush as it concentrates both the deer and the predators of the deer. Alot less able to escape a pack of coyotes when the deer need the feed.

However, it seems to be ethical elsewhere. Just an observation.

Drewski
Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 PM

Agreed 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
In Alberta the answer is obvious, no baiting. As for ethical, that is something to be debated completely separate. In Texas the stands are on top of the feeders. In Northern Sask, baiting is allowed.

Basically, I don't like the idea of a grain pile in the bush as it concentrates both the deer and the predators of the deer. Alot less able to escape a pack of coyotes when the deer need the feed.

Drewski
Old 10-13-2011, 12:46 PM

I agree with the ethics part of things.

just started this thread as to not clutter up the other.

I see the opinions of most are the same. And if my dad ever inteneds to hunt his properity, I'd say dont use salt blocks period.

seems cut and dry to me as well jsut wondered if someone else could argue otherwise, thanks guys!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I agree with the ethics part of things.

just started this thread as to not clutter up the other.

I see the opinions of most are the same. And if my dad ever inteneds to hunt his properity, I'd say dont use salt blocks period.

seems cut and dry to me as well jsut wondered if someone else could argue otherwise, thanks guys!
They just haven't read this yet.....but don't worry there will be those who disagree with the apparent agreements above...

LC
Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
They just haven't read this yet.....but don't worry there will be those who disagree with the apparent agreements above...

LC
haha true enough
Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 PM

Why even bother pushing it?

The intent of the law (to me) seems that they do not want you attracting anything but bears to any area using bait at anytime. I am not even sure it is legal to bait to take pictures (I remember reading about this in the other thread). Pretty sure the rule is "do not feed the wildlife". If you are intending to attract deer I would call that feeding/baiting.

I wouldnt even hunt over a salt block put out by a farmer for his cows.

Just my opinion.

~Jim
Old 10-13-2011, 01:08 PM

Salt is one thing,
But to be called a product to "bait" with is must be brought in and placed at the site. I believe the saying was, if it was grown there, it can stay there. We had 2 bales with broken baler twine, they are somewhat messed up. The neighbor didn't pick them up, these bales will be a somewhat attractant later in the season. Should we hunt near these bales later in November, or have them hauled away, hmmm, we will see.

TBark
Old 10-13-2011, 01:17 PM

I wonder why we even allow "bait" for observation/photographic reasons....

The main intent behind the No Baiting Legislation is to protect our wildlife from the possibility of increased disease transmission due to concentrating wildlife to a common place. Think CWD....

I would be content to see No Baiting rules without any conditions.

This would also eliminate any more of these threads.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM

To bad i did not get a chance to cut the 80 acres of hay this Year. Oh well time to figure out were i will put my blind this year
Old 10-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

what do you guys think?
Why would anyone spend so much effort trying to find ways around the law especially when it really isn't that hard to find a deer without baiting?
If it's too difficult to simply hunt within the law....save yourself some grief and go some place that has caged hunts.

As for the dish thing...what happens when it rains....do you go out and collect the salt laden water before it spills onto the soil?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Wink

What about this scenario: I am putting some blinds out on a farmers land and he allows only myself and my daughter to hunt on the land. He uses salt blocks for his cows all summer and fall. October 31st he moves his cows off that pasture and onto the home quarter so I can hunt. Is this considered baiting now that I am hunting on land where salt blocks have been used for livestock and it's quite poss. that wildlife use them also? Just food for thought?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 PM

Wow....is this the first time everyone agrees in a thread??

LC
Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Gone Hunting

It seems to me that anyone can skirt the law if they don't care about ethics and no law will stop that.
On the other hand, this law is all about intent and that can be a very tricky thing, for both sides.

In my case, I live very close to a big pile of Deer bait. It has been there for years and it gets renewed almost weekly, and I had nothing whatever to do with it.
But it isn't hard to imagine how I could be charged should I take advantage of the many deer that visit it every day.

Does that make the law wrong or me wrong ?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm r.u.m View Post
What about this scenario: I am putting some blinds out on a farmers land and he allows only myself and my daughter to hunt on the land. He uses salt blocks for his cows all summer and fall. October 31st he moves his cows off that pasture and onto the home quarter so I can hunt. Is this considered baiting now that I am hunting on land where salt blocks have been used for livestock and it's quite poss. that wildlife use them also? Just food for thought?
I guess it's kind of iffy.

Personally I'd view the licks as being co-incidental to the hunt. There are licks all over pastures and you might not even know they are there.

The licks weren't put there for the PURPOSE of hunting but for the livestock...same as crops intended to feed livestock.

Guess you'd just have to hope the SRD fella saw it the same way.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Drewski
yup, i agree. Good observation
Old 10-14-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Salt is one thing,
But to be called a product to "bait" with is must be brought in and placed at the site. I believe the saying was, if it was grown there, it can stay there. We had 2 bales with broken baler twine, they are somewhat messed up. The neighbor didn't pick them up, these bales will be a somewhat attractant later in the season. Should we hunt near these bales later in November, or have them hauled away, hmmm, we will see.

TBark
exactly!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:34 AM

Id like to see how many people would bait here if it was allowed. It'd probably be a majority not a minority. It's only because it isn't legal!
So many misconceptions and so many grey areas this could be ongoing forever.
In my opinion there is enough bait fields out there as it is but to each their own.
Makes it a little more challenging when YOU have to figure it out on your own.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:11 AM

Hunting agriculture in which a crops are still in the field, left over bales, ext is legal period.. No debate there.

Now, bringing an attractact to your location for the purpose of our sport ( I said our sport here, not observation ), is illegal..

Hunting areas with cattle that have existing minerals for the health of the herd is not, minerals were introduced by the owner of the cattle, not the sportsmen / women in the field.. Very easily verified if there ever was an issue, third party verification would put this to rest if F & W were involved.

From my understanding, early spring and late fall are when the animals need additional nutrition and hit the minerals... Mostly the does with fawns in the spring to rebuild health and then again in the fall when food and nutrition are minimal...

For those who disagree about the agriculture, think about a goose shoot, where do you set up ? Of course, grain fields where the birds are hitting excess spoils of that years ag... As simple as that... I don't here anyone babbling about birds, so I think we all can agree on the crop side of thing here...

For those who think having the grain fairy visit their set up will produce giants from that area, you putting yourself in a position of loosing your priviledges of our sport if you get caught..

Happy hunting all....
Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 AM

To the op it is bow season right now, he could very likely get in trouble so it would be a good idea to stay away from that idea.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 AM

Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I wonder why we even allow "bait" for observation/photographic reasons....

The main intent behind the No Baiting Legislation is to protect our wildlife from the possibility of increased disease transmission due to concentrating wildlife to a common place. Think CWD....

I would be content to see No Baiting rules without any conditions.

This would also eliminate any more of these threads.
I disagree with your statement , From what i understand The fish and wildlife in the Lloydminster area Alberta side were using baiting techniques to attract deer for a cull......... They already knew the disease was there and were using baiting to cull the deer in various areas..... So My arguement was if they were trying to prevent the spread of cwd why were they using baiting techniques to congragate deer with possible cwd into one area..... Thus possibly spreading the disease to healthy deer that may have escaped the cull ........ It made absolutely no sense to me and the cull techniques were questionable..... There is no way they were 100 percent effective in culling every deer coming to their bait sites............ The legislation to protect our wildlife from disease .......... hmmmmm!....... Just my thoughts..... We want to talk about ethical hunting ?........ They were chasing deer around the Lloydminster area with helicopters...Shooting them from a chopper from what I understand.. Where is the ethics in that?............
Old 10-14-2011, 08:55 AM

Our governing body does bait wildlife, for observational purposes... What do you think, all those banded birds just line up, single file of course and poof the band is attached and the birds exits stage left ?

My opinion, the reg's are written this way in order to continue the observation of our resources in hope of gathering information for the future of our sport..