Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM

Default Field cutting elk

Just a quick question, never have had to half or quarter elk to get it out, but incase I have to. Where are the best spots to half, and quarter for all u experts? Thanx
Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 AM

Half is between the 3rd and 4th ribs from the back.. Just count and cut.. Quarter is down the back bone.... This can be tricky and there are lots of ways to do it.. Heard of guys using a cordless reciprocating saw.. Used a meat saw... Used a variety of other hunting saws. A friend kept one chainsaw with Mazola for bar oil and that was what he used, but it is very messy!! What we found worked pretty good on our moose this year was to get the half hanging, then use a saw to get a groove started, then using an axe as a wedge and (in our case) a splitting wedge as a mallet, pound down and through the back...
Old 10-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Half is between the 3rd and 4th ribs from the back.. Just count and cut.. Quarter is down the back bone.... This can be tricky and there are lots of ways to do it.. Heard of guys using a cordless reciprocating saw.. Used a meat saw... Used a variety of other hunting saws.
I find field quartering down the backbone destroys too much of the high quality meat on the back. Personally, I would seperate the hind legs from the back by following the muscle and cutting the pelvis and the connective tissue at the joint. Remove the front legs by pushing the legs 90 degree's to the rib cage and cut as you expose the shoulder blade. This turns the animal into 5 quarters, 4 legs and a back. Depending on how far you have to move the animal, sometimes it is in your interests to debone the back and put the straps into game bags then into a plastic bag. Its the best meat on the animal and should be treated well.

The less meat you expose to air the better. Seperating muscle from each other is okay, actually cutting into the muscle will create a lot more work for you at the butcher table. Leaving as much on as possible creates a great protective layer to keep bacteria out of the meat as well as the prevents the meat from drying out.

Hope this helped!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Perfect thanx for help. Iv been able to pull out with quad have no quartering experience. I'm hopping to find 6x6 I ran into Saturday and I'll be solo so this helps if I find him. Thanx
Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 AM

When we split a moose we count back two ribs from the back and cut it there. This gives you a strong area to put a rope through and around the spine when you get to hangining up the frt half, either at camp or at home. My cousins also use a small chainsaw with vegetable oil as a lube to cut down the spine when quartering their game.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Half is between the 3rd and 4th ribs from the back.. Just count and cut.. Quarter is down the back bone.... This can be tricky and there are lots of ways to do it.. Heard of guys using a cordless reciprocating saw.. Used a meat saw... Used a variety of other hunting saws. A friend kept one chainsaw with Mazola for bar oil and that was what he used, but it is very messy!! What we found worked pretty good on our moose this year was to get the half hanging, then use a saw to get a groove started, then using an axe as a wedge and (in our case) a splitting wedge as a mallet, pound down and through the back...
X2

Half way is between 3rd and 4th rib

Just did two this last week and butchers said that is where you are supposed to cut them for proper cuts of the meat

good luck hunting
Old 10-13-2011, 07:42 PM

Default Quartering and deboning elk in the field

I don't think it's worth cutting down the backbone. It is hard, unnecessary work. Sneeze had the best plan above. There is no need to go to all that trouble when you can just separate legs from spine and filet off the meat from the neck and spine.

You can read thorough instructions about field dressing, quartering and deboing elk at http://www.elk-hunting-tips.net/quartering-elk.html.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 PM

Like this:

Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 PM

I have also always cut between 3rd and 4th rib as thats the old school way that I learned

Steve In GP
Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 PM

This is how I do it:
Front quarters; Start your cut behind the shoulder and as mentioned earlier, push our on leg while cutting between body cavity and leg muscle till you reach the shoulder blade, then continue in behind the blade till you dislodge the leg.
Hinds; Cut from the underside and along the outside of the pelvis to joint, cut cartlidge around joint and continue through to dislodge hinds. Hint- let your knife follow the pelvis bone, it is irregular so don't expect a smooth appearance.
Back straps; Skin back from center line each way. First cut should be from the top following the backbone down to the ribs and from the front of the animal to the rear. Second cut is perpendicular to the first and from front to back along the ribs.
Tenderloins can be done easily without gutting by carefully slicing from the back of the ribs and along the outside of the backbone towards the rear. Best to make a small careful incision behind the ribs and from this point cut from inside up so as to not rupture the gut bag. You will see the tenderloins and can gently remove them by using your hands and a few careful cuts.
IMHO I would not remove the hide if I was going to drag them.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 PM

Here's a link to a good video (2 parts) on the gutless method:
http://elk101.com/webisodes/gutless-video/
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I find field quartering down the backbone destroys too much of the high quality meat on the back. Personally, I would seperate the hind legs from the back by following the muscle and cutting the pelvis and the connective tissue at the joint. Remove the front legs by pushing the legs 90 degree's to the rib cage and cut as you expose the shoulder blade. This turns the animal into 5 quarters, 4 legs and a back. Depending on how far you have to move the animal, sometimes it is in your interests to debone the back and put the straps into game bags then into a plastic bag. Its the best meat on the animal and should be treated well.

Hope this helped!
x2

I would leave the rib cage, but debone it in the field or at camp/trucks, etc. If dragging the animal back to trucks/camp, dress out in the field and skin out after...or if you use a tub trailer, do all the work in the field.

Remove the backstraps and tenderloins, cut of rib meat and another other meat for trimmings for hamburger/sausage. Why haul out all that weight of bone.

Take a look at the meat pole picture...pictures tell a thousand words...successful hunt!!!!!
4 quarters per animal-tagged appropriately (make sure you leave the sex of the animal on the rear quarter your tag is on), tenderloins/backstraps and other meat (off rib cage, neck) for trimmings in the pails.

Last edited by Ice Fishing Maniac; 10-13-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:24 AM

The experts know, thanx guys all helpfull. Thanx and shoot straight.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 AM

I think the best is to completly debone and put the meat in meat bags, but if you want to quater, remove the loin and back strap first.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:11 AM

Default Debone

I agree about deboning completely. It's just not that hard and it cools your meat down faster. When you are hauling out nothing but meat you will forever question moving the weight of bones and hide.

The process is thoroughly described here: http://www.elk-hunting-tips.net/deboning-elk.html
Old 10-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Default De-boning

Can not agree more. The only way to treat a kill. Leave the mess in the bush/fields for the scavengers! Lets the meat cool by getting rid of hide and bone and results in good eating! Plus you are set up to cut and wrap at home with very little effort.