Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Default No Antelope

Again, 5th yr. applyed....Sure takes a while....
Old 08-21-2007, 03:35 PM
50BMG

That sucks
Old 08-21-2007, 05:34 PM

Which WMU?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:53 PM

I hear ya Kenzky I too was a priority 5 no tag. Some of my other draws seem to be taking forever to get drawn too. I'm not sure where to see the stats but are hunter numbers up or down? I've been giving some serious thought to a possible conspiracy theory: Do you think the anti's are jamming up the system? By this I mean apply and getting drawn for tags that they never intend on using just to prevent a legitamate hunter from drawing that tag and filling it. Does it sound far fetched or does it sound possible??
Old 08-21-2007, 06:09 PM

Cowboy - you may not be far off base. Heard that they were doing so back in the 80s.

Wonder if they could clean it up by some sort of check that the people applying actually have a registered gun ?
But that would mean less $ for them....(the Gov)
Old 08-21-2007, 07:50 PM

Default tracking

Or at least track it to see if the tag was actually purchased. While I realize that some legitimate hunters may not purchase some of the tags they are drawn for it may show a pattern. I'm not so sure that all legitimate hunters have a gun registered to them legally you can hunt without having to have a gun registered to you.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Gone Hunting

A few years back at an AF&GA conference, a person in the know with the licencing section of Fish & Wildlife spoke on thid idea. They said they did a check of all the persons applying for Grizzly bear licences. All of the win# had also applied for some other permits in recent years (Antelope or Mule deer or Moose etc.) So It was assumed that they were all legit hunters. Or at least NOT people applying for Griz permits to take them out of the system.

Robin in Rocky
Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 AM

I think Duffy is right, for a tree hugger to go through a first time hunters test, and all the other hurdles, just so they could take a draw out of the system to save it from us big bad hunters is pretty un likely.
And then not here about them bragging about their ability to mess with the licencing system. Not to likely, they want the noteriaty, and the press, they would tip their hand sure as shootin'.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:42 AM
700TI

[QUOTE=Dick284;48625]I think Duffy is right, for a tree hugger to go through a first time hunters test, and all the other hurdles,QUOTE]

Just wondering why you would need a first time hunter's test to apply for a draw?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:42 AM

Draw stats will be out soon, however, you can look up the 06 stats now, of course. 5 yrs or more for rifle lopers is normal depending on the zone. Remember, if this is your 5th yr, you entered as a '4'.

http://srd.alberta.ca/fishwildlife/l...de%2012%29.pdf
Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=700TI;48632]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I think Duffy is right, for a tree hugger to go through a first time hunters test, and all the other hurdles,QUOTE]

Just wondering why you would need a first time hunter's test to apply for a draw?

Think about the chain of events.
To apply in the draw you need a WIN # right. To get a WIN# you have to take the test or have held a hunting licence or taken a hunter training course in the past somewhere.

I doubt if too many hunters "convert" over to "the other side". So if an "anti" wanted to draw a permit to take it out of the system (and save bambi) they would likely have to take the hunter training course so they could get a WIN#.

Robin in Rocky
Old 08-22-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
And then not here about them bragging about their ability to mess with the licencing system. Not to likely, they want the noteriaty, and the press, they would tip their hand sure as shootin'.
You forgot this tid bit.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-22-2007, 01:23 PM

Yah this is year 5 for me too and still no luck, took my dad 7 years to get his trophy loper

AKA MAVERICK
Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Speed Goat Draw...

You all should be sitting pretty very soon.

I got my goat in October in WMU 148 after waiting until I got drawn with a priority 6, which will pretty much get you drawn in almost every WMU - he is at the taxidermist now...

Check out the stats at:
http://srd.alberta.ca/fishwildlife/l...wssummary.aspx

Best of luck when you get drawn - it sure is a fun hunt.

I 999'ed my archery antelope and will get it next year with a 7.

tyee43
Old 08-22-2007, 01:52 PM
700TI

[QUOTE=duffy4;48684]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 700TI View Post

Think about the chain of events.
To apply in the draw you need a WIN # right. To get a WIN# you have to take the test or have held a hunting licence or taken a hunter training course in the past somewhere.
Do you not need a win # to get a fishing licence? There are some non-hunters that fish. They would be quite p.o.ed if they had to take a hunter training course to obtain their win # just to go fishing.
This is from the alberta fishing regulations:
WiN Cards
Anglers and hunters must have a 10 digit Wildlife Identification Number (WiN) before purchasing any licence or Wildlife Certificate. The same WiN is used for fishing and hunting licences.

At the time of your WiN purchase you will receive a permanent 10 digit WiN on a temporary receipt. A permanent plastic WiN card will be mailed within six weeks. The plastic card is a swipe card that can be used to conveniently process your licence purchases. The WiN card costs $8.00 and is valid for five years.

Last edited by 700TI; 08-22-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:01 PM

When you fill out your application for a Win #, your are "supposed" to indicate that your only eligible for fishing licenses if you have not taken one of these courses.....

Last time I looked at an application (a few years back now).....all you had to do was "check" a box if you had taken the course(s)....from there, I am not sure if anyone checked if you had the proper course(s) officially....or just accepted the applicants honesty and allowed them to be entered in the hunting draw system.......

Just found this on the Government Website......

Q: Do I have to take a Hunter Education course before getting a WIN card?
A: No. Successfully completing a Conservation and Hunter Education course (or passing a hunter-competency test) is only required of first-time hunters applying for a hunting licence (if such hunters have not passed such a course or test elsewhere, and are not non-residents accompanied by a licensed guide). Anyone who applies and pays $8.00 is issued a WIN.

Though with that being said......I still think that if Anti-Hunters were going to plug up the draw system...like it has been mentioned.....they would want the publicity of doing it and being successful....I personally believe the draw system works! And if you follow the information released by the SRD, you can fairly easily predict when you will get drawn....with exception of odd years where tags need to be increased or decreased based on management strategy....

Last edited by ABwhitetail; 08-22-2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: more info....
Old 08-22-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I think Duffy is right, for a tree hugger to go through a first time hunters test, and all the other hurdles, just so they could take a draw out of the system to save it from us big bad hunters is pretty un likely.
Yes, and THOUSANDS of them would have to do it to have any real impact. You would hear about it. Nothing that big could be done in secret, particularly by groups that crave publicity. If they were going to do it, they would announce it.