Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Hang'em high and other handling moose in bear country questions

With this years moose tag in 408, I have to admit I have never got somthing big in bear country. It goes without saying that it would need to be in peices (the easy part) and off of the ground ASAP.

I have a little rope hoist so getting the quarters up is not a problem but how high should they go. I can reach 8' if I cant touch the quarters is that high enough.

Do you make your own "A" frame or do you string a pole between trees.

Location wise I figure somewhere shady and away from the main trail, also I figure I should be some distance away from the gut pile too.

It's likely i'll if I get it will be on a Saturday how do I protect myself from bears while I am packing out Sunday.

Is there anything else to consider.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM
sheephunter

Pack your meet a good distance from the actual kill site and you should be fine. If there are any trees big enough, I'd get the quarters up high but it's been my experience that bears will get on the kill first.

408, that's a tough zone to pull a moose out of. Lots of bulls but man most of them are a long ways from the trailhead.

Good luck!

Ah yeah, hang your quarters somewhere where you can see them from a hundred or more yards away so you don't unexpectedly walk in on a bear having lunch.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:06 PM

Although I have not started planning yet, I have been expecting a bit of a walk, other times I have hunted the area it's been 2-3 hours of walking to get in. Planning starts this week I don't expect to hunt til after Thanksgiving. I have honey do's that need to get done before the snow flies, oddly enough the wife seems to think translates to before I go hunting.

I have a friend with pack horses and the last time I had a tag he had offerd to pack me out if I had got a moose . I need to confirm it but I suspect the offer still stands.

The summer exersice program was not as effective as hoped but the last couple of weeks I have managed a good number of bike commutes (~25k round trip) and depending on weather i'll continue untill end of October.

I have another week of holidays coming I'll get in some under load hikes in then to work out the kinks in my back pack (i have not used my frame pack for a while) and break in the new boots.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:12 PM
sheephunter

Sadly...horses are not permitted on many of the trails in 408 so keep that in mind. I'd be out there the first week of October if I was you as the rut will be in full swing and it's much easier to locate a big bull. A game cart maybe very useful in some of the areas.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:46 PM
700TI

Is there a good reason for not allowing horses on existing trails in 408?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 PM
sheephunter

Not sure of a good reason but I guess it's because of all the hikers. Horses are not permitted in Provincial Parks with the a couple of exceptions and as many of the trails originate in Parks, horses are forbidden. Kind of sad when you know that most of these trails originated as pack trails.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:20 PM

Fisrt weekend of October I am up in Northern SK visiting the in-laws and closing up my cabin (probably some BP whitetail hunting as well). The second weekend in Oct is the most likely first time out though last weekend in September might be a go.

Just got back from map world first place that jumped out (pending legalities) is wasootch and porcupine creek trails. Just need to call the CO's to see if the zone map I bought show all of the no hunting zones properly.

Thanks or the heads up on the horses I have not spent alot of time in that zone.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:32 PM
sheephunter

Late September would be good also. I've never seen any moose in those drainages but I'm sure there are some. Watch the recreation areas and I'd just keep your rifle encased until you are well into the woods and certain you are in a legal hunting area. I use a light-weight gun sock as it slips easily on and off and meets all the legal requirements. There are no non hunting areas on the west side of the road near those creeks but the east side is off limits but still good to check with the CO. The Canmore office has a great map showing all the parks and rec areas in detail.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:44 PM
sheephunter

Just sent you a PM aulrich about a few areas to check out where I've seen moose in the past.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:17 PM

Another tip to keep your camp bear safe is dont drag your animals back to camp. A few years back I saw a huge grizz track in the snow following drag marks of I'm guessing a ewe.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:59 PM

Default big animals

I have left animals over night in the mountains when it was to dark to get them out. We usually dragged the gutted carcuss well away from the gut pile and left it in a open spot where we could see it from a distance. I like to leave an article of clothing on the animal to leave human scent around. As soon as I get the animal down to the truck it is best to clean the carcuss then haul it to a locker to the nearest town or haul it home asap especially early in the season when the weather may be warm out. Sometimes we would dunk the quarters in a cold stream to cool the meat down before hauling it out if the trip is any time and distance. If your hunting moose in the mountains always have reliable partners with you if your hunting aways off the road. From my experience any animal I shot in the mountains seemed to be twice as big and heavy as anything I shot on the prairies. If you are good at calling moose you might be able to bring one right down to a road in a easier spot.

Last edited by 59whiskers; 08-20-2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-20-2007, 11:35 PM

Another question - has anyone used a portable electric fence setup like what the beekeepers use around their bee hives?

I'm thinking about doing this - still have the equipment my late father used when he was beekeeping.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 AM

While moose hunting near Nordegg a few years back, there was a guy using an electric fence.....it was him and his young son, and he swore that the fence was a great system.....

It seemed to give the young kid some reassurance.....

IMO it can't hurt......
Old 08-21-2007, 09:05 AM
sheephunter

Yup, they defintely work...not all that practical for backpacking but around a camp or meatpole they do work.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 AM

John Spartan, we have used an electric fence at our fly-in camp for the past two years and haven't had any problems. Prior to that we lost some moose meat to a black bear, and that is what prompted us to get the fence. We have our tent, toilet, fire pit, and meat pole within the fenced off area, and I am more comfortable leaving the camp for the day, knowing that the fence "might" protect our gear and two weeks worth of food.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:16 AM

Wow I would not have though that a couple of flashlight bateries would give enough zap to deter anything.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:46 AM
s_buffalo

Default Zap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Wow I would not have though that a couple of flashlight bateries would give enough zap to deter anything.
It's all due the miracle of a pulse generator and a step-up transformer!

That's a kewl-looking system, BigBull. Where'd you pick that up?

Stinky B.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:39 AM
s_buffalo

Default Never mind...

Oh, never mind... Found it.

B10 Energizer

Looks like you can get them at UFA, Co-Op and Peavey Mart. Might have to pick one up... Could be handy!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:54 PM

Smile

It would be best to check the power rating of your electric fence system. To keep bears out you should use a fence charger that has a joule rating >.5 joules and delivers at least 5000 volts. Some chargers are only meant to keep "tom cats away from tulips and basement window screens". They may not have enough punch to keep a bear out of your camp. Some people prefer to use electric wire rather than electric tape which can slide across the bear's fur without making a good contact with the skin.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 PM

great idea on the fencer. if you want the bear to get a zap hang a soup can with some bacn grease or syrup in the wire . if they are around you want that power going on their wet nose. one thing i did by chance a few years back was hang the white undershirt as high in the tree as i could reach and when we got back the next day everything was ok. hung so it would be easier to see and mark but maybethere was lots of scent also. take care and good luck.CP
Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 PM

Good points on the electric fence - the stuff my dad had was rated for bears so I 'm good to go.

I think I'll pass on the soup can on the wire (a full sardine tin with a few holes will do just as well).

Just want to make sure the bears don't get into the moose meat.

Thanks guys!