Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Default S.I.R. sold to Cabela's

Breaking News

S.I.R. sold to Cabela's

Updated at 11:52 AM

By Geoff Kirbyson

A 83-year-old hunting and fishing retail institution in Winnipeg has been bought by one of the industry's giants.

S.I.R. Mail Order and Warehouse Sports Store has been acquired by Cabela's, Inc., a Nebraska-based outfit with 26 locations and a massive mail-order business across the U.S., for an undisclosed sum.

The closest Cabela's store to Winnipeg is located in East Grand Forks, Minn.

Earl Robinson, 77, president of the family-run enterprise on Ellice Avenue, said the capital investment to keep growing the business required a deep-pocketed owner and Cabela's fit the bill.

"S.I.R. needed the expertise of an organization that handles similar merchandise," he said.

Dennis Highby, president and CEO of Cabela's, said the company will use S.I.R.'s location near Polo Park Shopping Centre as its headquarters north of the border and its spring board into the Canadian market.

He said the Winnipeg store will feature both the S.I.R. and Cabela's brands.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:08 PM
s_buffalo

Well, that could work out very well, I would think!
Old 08-16-2007, 02:26 PM

It would be nice to have a Cabelas close but I think if you did have one here it probably would still be cheaper to order it in the U.S. It seems liket hings are always cheaper there for some reason.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:37 PM

Yeah, it's kind of surprising for Winnipeg to get a Cabela's since Grand Forks is only a couple of hours away. You'd think they'd have to compete on price with the US store. And I'd think the Grand Forks store would lose some business to a store in Winnipeg.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:40 PM

One thing I noticed about cabela's is it seems their shipping costs are higher than their main US competitor....perhaps with a Canadian location this may fix that issue and allow the product to get to us Canadian residents more competitively.....

Should be a good thing I hope....
Old 08-16-2007, 03:11 PM

Hopefully us Canucks can benifit from it.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 08-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Cabelas buys out S.I.R.

A couple of years they also brought out Herters a company similiar to SIR but based in the US. Innediateky the cost of everything went up 20 percent and shippoing more than doubled. As you can see I am not a fan of Cabelas. There is still a few places I deal that are reasonable
Old 08-16-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Problem Solved ?

Is this going to solve the pesky issue of having to get 'certain items' shipped to an American friend before being shipped to us in the great white north ? Is going to be interesting to see where the Canadian orders originate.....
Old 08-16-2007, 06:35 PM

I know I will get hung up for this, but I would rather shop at Cabelas than a "certian" large sporting good retailer in western Canada. At least Cabelas has the stuff I want 95% of the time.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-16-2007, 08:31 PM

I don't think you'll get hung for that opinion. I was in that retailer today and have vowed never to spend another dollar in there. I LOVE Cabela's. I made a special trip to Utah this spring to stock up. Come to think of it I need to go again before Sept.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 PM

I agree with Rocky I love Cabelas because they not only have it in stock but have the stuff I am looking for. They Have the best Camo selection I have seen.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I know I will get hung up for this, but I would rather shop at Cabelas than a "certian" large sporting good retailer in western Canada. At least Cabelas has the stuff I want 95% of the time.
Hey, don't sugarcoat it. Wholesale Sports sucks. Their new location is just as bad as their old one, too. It just has more empty shelf space now.

I can't wait for Cabela's to get a Canadian location. Most of my money gets spent there as it is anyways.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 PM

I wonder if people bitch about Cabelas in the states like they do with wholesale. Seems like thing always greener on other side of the fence.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:27 AM
s_buffalo

What we need here is a Bass Pro!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:35 AM

Word is they are building one (BassPro) in or near Calgary....I think there was a thread about it a few weeks back.....
Old 08-17-2007, 10:40 AM

Yup to be in Balzac. 2008 opening

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-17-2007, 11:01 AM

Hopefully they bring some good prices wih them who knows. But I have the same grip as everyone else our local guys have lousy supply chains and have me looking forward to see those happy words "In Stock"
Old 08-17-2007, 07:37 PM

this is funny, I just mail ordered some stuff this month and couldn't get bullets up from Cabelas, and SIR didn't stock the other things I wanted and I had to order from both to get everything

less options means less selection and price competition
Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
this is funny, I just mail ordered some stuff this month and couldn't get bullets up from Cabelas,
But now that there will be a store in Canada,they can ship bullets and firearms and components to us.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:36 PM

Very interesting news,

i have ordered over 1000 buck worth of stuff a year from Cabelas over the last few years. hate to see what my m/c bill is going to be if i can order a scope and other things from them!

cant wait for the bass pro to open up, 10 minutes from my house!!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:31 PM

I think its great news....I've always said, we don't need a Cabelas store in Canada as they would only service the immediate area. We need Cabelas mail order and now, it looks like thats what we've got.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:26 AM

Hey I was just in cabela's east Grand Forks store 2 weeks ago The prices in store were cheaper than the mail order on lots of things Could be a great deal in Winnipeg with a store there

Gord
Old 08-19-2007, 05:49 AM

I went to the Bass Pro in Vegas. WHAT A STORE!!!! Man I would move to Vegas just to be close to that place. I came out of there feeling like I just went to church I must have took at least 40-50 pics in there.

BH
Old 08-20-2007, 04:39 PM

Default More info on Cabela's purchase of SIR

Just finished and order to SIR.

Thought I'd ask when they will start distributing Cabela's merchandise.

Here's a copy of my reply.

Thanks for the reply! We will ship the order out later this week.

As far as your question about Cabela's, we are running "Business As Usual" right now until the sale closes. At that time, we will be given more information on how and when the changeover will take place. They realize that fall and prime hunting season is not the time to disrupt the current business and change all our systems and processes. Our plan is to retain all our current customers and attract many new ones. There is a slim chance that we may see some actual Cabela's merchandise late this year, with the big changes happening in 2008.

Other than that, I do not have any other information about the future plans, other than just a wait and see thing.

Thank you for your order from SIR!