Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Do a lot of your own research based on statistics and facts about your own son and the cartridges you are interested in, completely disregard statements like “a deer doesn't know the difference between a 30 caliber and a 243” this person doesn't know that!! Or the ole “243 etc will kill anything in North America with a well placed shot and a well made bullet” what kind of a statement is that? A .22 will do that. What if its not a well placed shot, that happens, would a different cartridge choice improve animal harvest? Only you can make that choice. It only matters to you what ethical values you instil in a young hunter and that needs to be measured against what recoil can be handled by him. Involve him in the research. Vague statements like mentioned above are nothing more than blowing smoke for justification through conjecture. BTW, i would look at a 30-30 with a great recoil pad. I’m sure a young man wont shoot past that cartridges capability and when he does and moves in a different direction, heck everyone needs a 30-30 in the safe.
Have you bought any guns for youth?

Have you killed any big game with a 243?

-Billy Molls