Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2016, 05:22 PM

Broke the curse last night as I landed 10+! Haha...I caught more fish last night than I did in the past 3 years!!!

Still can't get the hang of nymphing which would be nice! Anyway. Tight lines folks. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
Broke the curse last night as I landed 10+! Haha...I caught more fish last night than I did in the past 3 years!!!

Still can't get the hang of nymphing which would be nice! Anyway. Tight lines folks. Thanks for all the tips!
Congrats, where are the pics?
Old 05-02-2016, 09:38 PM

Let me guess, those bwo worked like magic right?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Prettyyyyyy sure I do know what it means...but maybe this goes to show my lack of bug knowledge. Whatever they were eating must have been minuscule or perhaps just below the surface.
They are minuscule. like 5 or 6 on a dime small.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 AM

Bin stackin them up with golden stones mostly browns though.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Cool to follow this thread, read all the great info, and then read that Dr. Shortington broke his curse! Congrats!
Old 05-03-2016, 12:14 PM

Here you go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fish1.jpg (33.8 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Fish2.JPG (119.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Fish3.jpg (37.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Fish4.jpg (43.7 KB, 118 views)
Old 05-03-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
Cool to follow this thread, read all the great info, and then read that Dr. Shortington broke his curse! Congrats!
Thanks for all your info and also everyone else's. Still need to master the art of nymphing....but it will come eventually!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all your info and also everyone else's. Still need to master the art of nymphing....but it will come eventually!
That's great, nice to see you having some success........ We as fishermen are always learning something new each day!
Old 05-04-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Here you go!
Those trout are exquisite. Green with jealousy right now

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2016, 02:06 PM

Default yup!! Been in one @ Namaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Think of the drag. It's all about letting the rig go downstream unimpeded. If you see any amount of "wake" on that indicator, the chance for it to get bit drops at least 80%.
If the rig moves faster than the rest of the river, the chane of getting bit goes down.
If the rig isn't near the bottom it is less likely to be bit. Get it down. Sometimes it's as easy as changing the way your flies are oriented on your rig.
Fish the seams. Where the slow water meets the fast water there is always a seam where there is less turbulence. The fish wait there and chow down. There is usually a foam line there. Get your rig in the foam.
If the indicator stutters, set the hook. If it heads downstream, set the hook. If it goes under, set the hook. If it quickly comes closer to you, set the hook. See the trend?
Remember that your line is doing all kinds of things under the water. You need to set the hook like you mean it if there is any slack in it at all. The worst that can happen is you turn it into a back cast and reset.
Manage your line. I see tons of guys with line all over the place. If you are fishing 20' away, you don't need 30' out. Keep the line under control and learn to do tiny mends continuously. Learn to mend the line without moving the leader. This lets you control the line and the drag without resetting your rig all the time. The longer that rig stays down in the zone the better chance at getting bit.
Fish where the fish are feeding. So many guys get to the river and wade right out up to their belly buttons before they start fishing. The vast majority of fish live and feed within 30' of the bank. That's where a lot of the structure is.
Hope this helps. If you want help with a guide for a reasonable fee, shoot me a PM.
What he said.... its all in controlling the drift getting your flies down and staying out of the feeding water.... ( I used to be that guy and had someone walk up and quietly tell me that there was a good chance I was standing on the fish.....)
Old 05-11-2016, 12:13 PM

If you're willing to try another nearby river, the Sheep is amazing right in town of Okotoks, and you can park across the street from the baseball stadium.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRiver View Post
If you're willing to try another nearby river, the Sheep is amazing right in town of Okotoks, and you can park across the street from the baseball stadium.
Except the Sheep is not open until June 16.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:46 AM

Get a sink tip line, peacock leech/bugger trailed by a evil weevil. You'll eventually find fish, stripping and swinging through the trouty looking water, and never have to stare at a bobber and deal with nymphing/depth semantics.