Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Default Spring Lake west of Edmonton

Any word on the condition of Spring Lake west of Edmonton and how the trout fared? Were the aerators left on? Or is this lake another casualty of the fiasco?

Was just curious.

Mike
Old 04-09-2016, 01:28 PM

Not sure but I'm guessing she's gone along with all the others in the area ...truly sad situation I can't believe they let this happen..if they didn't save Muir not a good chance any others were spared
Old 04-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Banned

Aerator was leased and operated by a local lawyer who was willing to assume responsibility and challenge the laws should some idiot fall into the open water created by said aerator.
Thank God something around Edmonton will survive.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:38 PM

Default Good to know!

I suspected Spring Lake was a bit of a special case, just because it's almost semi-private, so I wondered if the aeration issue was being handled differently.

Good to know! Thanks.

Mike
Old 04-27-2016, 03:31 PM

Hopefully it wont get over fished this year due to the other lakes.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:56 PM

It will.

Membership of the ETFC is near an all time high, I joined too. Of course the fishing pressure will go up, where are all the Muir Lake fans (I am one) going to go?
Old 04-27-2016, 05:52 PM

They will be surprised as to the problems that will arise
Old 04-27-2016, 07:44 PM

Not so sure about that. Problems could arise, yes undoubtedly, but I don't think they'll be surprised. When I joined, they were pretty stringent in terms of paperwork I needed to sign plus some pretty thorough details in explaining proper use of the facility. So, I don't think they're in the dark or will be surprised. They're also pretty sensitive to how the village perceives them and they know the community keeps an eye on things.

But the more club members / users, for sure it's a recipe for some conflict, in terms of only needing 1 or 2 bad apples to spoil the barrel.

Smitty
Old 04-28-2016, 09:25 AM

The fishing pressure on Spring has increased a lot, I was rather shocked with how many people were on Spring the other day in the morning/midday time period. Don't think I'll be going back this year.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:54 AM

Yeah too many people. Good thing there is very limited access otherwise wouldn't be a fish left out there...
Old 04-28-2016, 04:28 PM

Just goes to show you what kind of demand there is for lakes that produce big fish and QSF's in general.

I swear, there should be no less than 4 QSF's in the Edmonton region, and still more than enough for the put and take lakes to keep 5.

Edmonton doesn't have the Bow to spread anglers out. It is so limited here for trout fishing before June 16th.

I'll try to raise this point at the Roundtable meeting.

Mike

P.S. Any of you writing letters about this? It doesn't hurt, and this gov't's ears aren't as deaf as the last ones...imho.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 PM

oops.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-04-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Just goes to show you what kind of demand there is for lakes that produce big fish and QSF's in general.

Mike
Yet it is odd that places like Leduc Reservoir doesn't winterkill, is stocked regularly, had brood stock released there and yet I rarely see anyone fishing there anymore. Easy public access and lots of room for fly or spincast fishing, belly boats or canoes. 30 to 50 years ago it was fished lots. Granted it is an urban setting now but still fishable.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-04-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Yet it is odd that places like Leduc Reservoir doesn't winterkill, is stocked regularly, had brood stock released there and yet I rarely see anyone fishing there anymore. Easy public access and lots of room for fly or spincast fishing, belly boats or canoes. 30 to 50 years ago it was fished lots. Granted it is an urban setting now but still fishable.
I tried fishing Leduc reservoir last fall and couldn't stand the traffic noise. I hate fishing in city limits.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:49 AM

Spring lake is one of the only lakes in Edmonton area that still has an aerator you need a gate key to access it , fishing is awesome
Old 05-05-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
Spring lake is one of the only lakes in Edmonton area that still has an aerator you need a gate key to access it , fishing is awesome
Huh? Made a number of trips out to Spring and almost NADA!
Old 05-05-2016, 11:05 PM

I found shore fishing Leduc Reservoir to be pretty difficult. Pretty thickly lined with reeds, tough fly casting. Nice little boat launch though.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:10 PM

Was thinking about fishing the Leduc res. Has anyone fished it recently? Has never seen anyone out there whenever I have drove by.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:22 PM

Jason:

It's been stocked. Lots of little jumpers there last week.

Mike
Old 05-06-2016, 10:50 AM

I might just buy a gate key for the CO so they can monitor spring haha