Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Have you ever personally witnessed someone getting a tag for a draw that was out of sequence?
Yes 61 46.92%
No 69 53.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2011, 09:45 AM

I am curious if the people experiencing these problems/benifets use the online system (albertarelm) to put in for draws... it doesnt make sense that IBM would take the information and print it off then have someone enter it manually into the system.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Banned

In my case we used a local store/gas station.

This thread/poll may be somewhat misleading making it appear that this a huge problem but it may not necessarily be so. People that have experienced it are probably more prone to reply to the thread/poll and I highly doubt that about 50% of all hunters in Alberta actually experience it like the poll indicates. If it was that way I figure that there would be huge outrage by the hunting community. I think that it is more of the odd mistake here and there. The point is it can and does happen from time to time. Nothing is fool proof I guess.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:32 PM

My Dad was drawn for back to back cow moose in the same wmu. Ussually it's evry 3 or 4 year, and we try to have it so that me my bil and my dad are different years as we share the meat. Him drawing back to back screwed our little system up and we either have no tags or 2 even though we have 999 some years a guy with a p2 or p3 gets a tag when it should be a p4. I got drawn this year, dad 999, my bil had a higher priority and drew blank. So next year he should get drawn, but dad will have to 999 again or we will be back to 2 cow tags instead of the 1 we want.

I also wonder why can't a computer system in this day and age keep everything straight? Not wanting to be a game hog by any means but why could we not apply for a cow moose tag and a bull moose tag if proirity's on such animals were at different stages? If it takes me 8 years to get a bull tag why not let me aplly for a cow in between time, even 2 cows tags drawn in those 8 years, then a bull . You would think a computer could keep track as to not allow a double up on tags. It is kinda frustrating.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
I also wonder why can't a computer system in this day and age keep everything straight? Not wanting to be a game hog by any means but why could we not apply for a cow moose tag and a bull moose tag if proirity's on such animals were at different stages? If it takes me 8 years to get a bull tag why not let me aplly for a cow in between time, even 2 cows tags drawn in those 8 years, then a bull . You would think a computer could keep track as to not allow a double up on tags. It is kinda frustrating.
I don't understand this either...for antelope you can put in for non-trophy and trophy at the same time.....they draw trophy first and if you are picked then you are removed from the non-trophy draw.

Why can't they do this for Elk (antlered/anterless) and Moose (antlered\anterlerless) ?....heck you can put in for a antlered and a non-antlered mule deer at the same time AND get picked at the same time!

If it has to do with population stability I can understand that but I have often wondered why they don't do this for Elk and Moose.

LC
Old 10-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I don't understand this either...for antelope you can put in for non-trophy and trophy at the same time.....they draw trophy first and if you are picked then you are removed from the non-trophy draw.

Why can't they do this for Elk (antlered/anterless) and Moose (antlered\anterlerless) ?....heck you can put in for a antlered and a non-antlered mule deer at the same time AND get picked at the same time!

If it has to do with population stability I can understand that but I have often wondered why they don't do this for Elk and Moose.

LC
Frig...I didn't know you could enter 2 draws for dope-a-lope....
I tried entering 2 for moose when I first came here and was told you couldn't enter 2 draws for the same species...it never occured to me that there was an exception...
Old 10-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I was told this spring when calling into the draw "help" line that all draws are MANUALLY entered into the computer from the system that inputs our information when we apply. That is why it takes forever to get the results and that is why human error enters the equation. It is also why some guys and their buddies beat insurmountable odds and draw "once in a lifetime" tags multiple times.

Just what I was told folks. If it is true it is ridiculous. Especially when handled by a company called "IBM".

If this is true (and I do not doubt it) it explains a certain percentage of the "odd draw" stories. I still think there are other situations where there has been a mistake or misunderstanding by the applicants involved.

There can't be that many human error draw mistakes unless they are hiring people off the streets at min. wage to do the data entry.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Yep its a conspiracy!! Anyone with any connection to TJ automatically gets a special application number to call in.....
Hey TJ, Dinner's on me!, your choice ! ....old buddy , old pal .....