Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

nice day of duck whackin cow! of course mallards and pintails are the cadillac ducks, but what the heck....they are all fun to shoot.

as for geese, about 14ish is as big as ive seen or killed.....although i have heard rumors that someone smashed a 22 pound snow a while back......

Last edited by ishootbambi; 10-12-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Google ain't a dead goose on a scale. Are there twenty plus pounders out there? Yep. Probably only a couple dozen total though. Even the giant Canadas don't get even close to twenty very often.
I love people that think they are experts, and try to enlighten other people of what they think to be truth. You should start a cult. See how many followers you get. DON'T DRINK THE COOL AID FELLAS!!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 PM

Nice haul & good lookin dog!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:18 PM

Default To get back on track

Glad you had a great day with your dog CG. Too bad this thread got so derailed.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
I love people that think they are experts, and try to enlighten other people of what they think to be truth. You should start a cult. See how many followers you get. DON'T DRINK THE COOL AID FELLAS!!!!
Pot calling kettle......

Then again as a trained biologist with actual field experience in both waterfowl and canine ecology, perhaps I am a bit more of an expert than some others here. Who knows?

Fwiw even Giant Canada's usuall max at about 18 lbs.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-12-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Google ain't a dead goose on a scale. Are there twenty plus pounders out there? Yep. Probably only a couple dozen total though. Even the giant Canadas don't get even close to twenty very often.
Hey, i never said that it was a common occurrence, I'm just saying its not impossible. Is this guy shooting 20+lb Canada's every day? I doubt it, but i wouldn't be putting big money on the line that he cant get lucky once...
Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 PM

looks like you had a great day! myself and a couple of friends pounded a bunch of ducks just east of town today too. Man I love seeing the dog retrieve (I also have a young chocolate lab) I would have been exhausted grabbing all the ducks we shot in the slough without him (we got 19 between the 3 of us)
Old 10-12-2011, 10:10 PM

Smile If he doesn't break!

Then shot the cripples as much as you can before he goes, long swims in the dark for lively cripples are no fun. Especially for the divers you got. Use the lightest shot you can buy for the "sluicing". In the days before steel I'd use the #8 from the trap club to kill them on the water. You need a head shot to help the dog.

The extra shots will make him keener if that is helpful. I also gives you a chance to keep him steady before he is sent.

Nice ducks. I'm impressed the dog brought back a duck you didn't want to show, we call that fertilizer and dogs don't like teal, full chock and close range!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Thats so awesome!! Cant wait to get my dog Bella trained up for waterfowl/upland
Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Then shot the cripples as much as you can before he goes, long swims in the dark for lively cripples are no fun. Especially for the divers you got. Use the lightest shot you can buy for the "sluicing". In the days before steel I'd use the #8 from the trap club to kill them on the water. You need a head shot to help the dog.

The extra shots will make him keener if that is helpful. I also gives you a chance to keep him steady before he is sent.

Nice ducks. I'm impressed the dog brought back a duck you didn't want to show, we call that fertilizer and dogs don't like teal, full chock and close range!

Good advice here. I keep a box of 6 Hevishot with me for long crips. It will kill them on the water out past 60 yds. At 3 bucks a shell, it netter work.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

He didn't have to bring that one back. It basically landed at our feet.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Nice ducks sounds like you had a great time.
I haven't been out for waterfowl since they brought in the steel shot law ( ya I know it's sad ) I really miss goose hunting . We brought down some Greater Canada's on a shoot once and they were pretty big birds ,but I've never seen a 20lb wild goose . I would like to see that. My guess is that the 20lbs geese lose about 4 or five lbs when they hit the ground
Old 10-13-2011, 11:53 PM

Good shooting Daryl. Did you crater the missing one or just shoot it in the face?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 PM

Great job Daryl.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:41 AM

My dog has a penchant for wanting to grab one of the birds beside us and just hand it back to me, and the he gives me "the look", like he expects me to toss it back out for him. He got on a mallard last time out that would not die, it was feet up, laying on one side the last time after it, he got to about 2 ft from it and it suicide dived on him.
Last year I had one he brought back, I wrung its neck ( definitely not well enough), he brought back another one, I dropped the first one, it took off while I shot another one. He went and got it. Had to guide him to another one, dropped the three I had in hand to guide him. Came back, only 2 there.
Told him to go find that bird,again. 4ft high cattails, the bird jumps up. the dog jumps up, the bird jumps up, the dog jumps up, all I am seeing is cattails moving, bird, dog's head, bird, dog's head, finally, bird & dog at the same time, dog nailed it. I wish that was on vid, it was comical.
You should look forward to having lots of fun with that hound of yours Cowtown.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeT View Post
Whoa did this thread go downhill fast...

I'll see your 20 lb goose and raise you a 80lbs coyote...
x2
Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 AM

Nice job CT. Gorgeous dog!. Nothing like hunting with a friend like that!!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
He didn't have to bring that one back. It basically landed at our feet.
heres a funny one for ya. last fall i was out with friends looking for pheasants. we were driving from one area to another when i looked out and saw a bunch of fat greenheads on a puddle well suited for jumping. we parked the truck (yes it was a field we already had permission for) and got guns and shells ready to go. we crossed the fence and made it maybe 30 yards into the field when i hear honking. i pause and although i didnt see them immediately, i could tell they were getting closer. as i see they are headed staright for us, i am fishing in my pocket for some 3 1/2 inch shells to replace the 3s i just put in the gun. as i get the gun ready to take advantage of the situation, i say out loud to my partners, "are they too high?" one said i dont think so, and the other said yes. hmmm.....i thought they were in range, so i took aim at the lead bird , swung through giving him a good lead and let one fly.

i could hear the pellets strike it, and watched it fold and come tumbling down. now get this.....the wind was just howling. the bird began to helicopter, and drift toward the road. as its falling im thinking oh-oh, thats gonna be close to the truck. then im thinking oh schit...its gonna hit the truck. im freaking thinking about the giant dent thats going to be in my hood as the bird hit the groung with a thud 2 feet from the front bumper.

well now im laughing my arse off thinking about how i would have tried explaining THAT to the insurance company. then that got me to thinking......was it an unfortunate hunter that came up with the firebird sticker on the hood of the old trans ams?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Too funny. I actually had a duck once that I could have caught. I thought of trying but realized that a broken wing may do some serious damage when falling from 25 or 30 yards up.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:49 AM

Default this is bizarre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1bLQ9bI9k
Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
nice day of duck whackin cow! of course mallards and pintails are the cadillac ducks, but what the heck....they are all fun to shoot.

as for geese, about 14ish is as big as ive seen or killed.....although i have heard rumors that someone smashed a 22 pound snow a while back......
Ya that 22 lb snow made my jaw smack the keyboard when I read it. I really didn't believe that he posted that. If I do recall I think he said his Brit had a hard time bringing it back.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Too funny. I actually had a duck once that I could have caught. I thought of trying but realized that a broken wing may do some serious damage when falling from 25 or 30 yards up.

My favorite "DUCK!" story....

I took a non-hunting friend out for a morning shoot on Skaha Lake in B.C.

My buddy, Jorgen, was standing right behind me in the cattails, a "safe" place to watch the action. A high flying drake mallard came in straight on to us, and I folded him 30 yards up and in front of us. I could instantly see that the bird's trajectory was going to put this one in our lap. Taking a big sidestep left I loudly called DUCK!

My friend, not quite understanding the difference between duck and DUCK!, just stood still, watching the duck....

The impact of a 4 pound mallard in full freefall velocity striking Jorgen directly in the chest had a stunning effect of putting him @ss end up, head in the swampwater.

When Jorden's head resurfaced, the stunned expression on his face led me to explain the cause of his posture, "I said DUCK!"

Old 10-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
My group has an on going bet. If you catch a falling bird in hand, the rest of the guys/gals owe you a case of shotgun shells. To date no one has done it. Most members of my group run for cover when the bird is in coming
Old 10-14-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
As opposed to "loving" the crusty ol' wanna be know it all's with "rhino" in their screen name? Man you honestly need to get over yourself. All ive ever seen you post on this forum is why you feel everyone else is wrong and youre king rifleman. Sorry "chump" youre flat out wrong in this case. And if you argue that i look forward to your 65lb pike fish story as well. Go shave or yell at a steer or something.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
You seem to be the only failure in this thread weekend warrior.
Although NO ONE is as accomplished as Rhinio, I'll jump in and call call BS on that one too.

but what do I know... I lost all sense when I moved to Edm.