Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 PM

Default Buffalo Age

So.

Tag to be filled.

Where in the regs can I find, if there are any, age/size limits on Buffalo? Never been after them before. Is it better to shoot a younger bull, a 1 year old or so for the better meat or go for the biggest set of horns possible?

Thanks, try not to flame me too hard, I'm asking a legit question. It's being shot mainly for meat, so..... what are the requirements on that? Is there much of a taste/texture difference?

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 10-13-2011, 04:35 PM

I believe in the draw book, it said the tag covers any buffalo. Bull, cow, or calf of any age.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Shoot the biggest one for sure

Save the hide

The meat will be great regardless
Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM

My friend makes pretty awesome stuff out of hides, and does good work.... IE, and so on and so forth, so..... I'm looking forward to keeping the hide.

Shoot a big one, you say... can be done, can be done

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Old 10-13-2011, 05:33 PM

thirty-30 .. hi .. question .. do you want a Girlfriend that is 20 years ,old 50 years old or 80 years old.

do you think that a 2 to 5 year old would be better or a 15 year old or a 24 year old.. Bison

do you want to eat a 3 point elk(2yrs old) and small 5(4yrs old) point or a 7 point herd bull all got Sept 7

don,t mean to flame you

a steer 2 years old sells for more per pound ,other than calf maybe

old guy

Food for Thought
David
Old 10-13-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
thirty-30 .. hi .. question .. do you want a Girlfriend that is 20 years ,old 50 years old or 80 years old.

Food for Thought
David
If shes rich, the 80 yr old is mine

Horns last longer than meat. Shoot a big one
Old 10-13-2011, 07:30 PM

I agree with huntin. Go for the trophy and hang the head proudly on the wall as many others won't have one and never will.

The meat will taste better from a young one kinda a no brainer there, but the meat from a trophy will also still be good, and you will have much more of it!!!!

Good luck. That is my dream hunt going for bison.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:45 PM

i've hunted buffalo and shot young ones and old bulls. the meat is almost identical.. the tags doesnt come very often so i waould say shoot a big old bull...just remember when they hit you, you will get hurt bad and die. just becarefull. the can be nasty animals. if you get one be prepared to work your a@# off to get him out of their....good luck on your hunt
Old 10-13-2011, 07:52 PM

Go for the BIGGEST one you can get. As for breaking it down to carry it out, If your willing t to drive to my place I can give you some pointers
Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty-30 View Post
So.

Tag to be filled.

Where in the regs can I find, if there are any, age/size limits on Buffalo? Never been after them before. Is it better to shoot a younger bull, a 1 year old or so for the better meat or go for the biggest set of horns possible?

Thanks, try not to flame me too hard, I'm asking a legit question. It's being shot mainly for meat, so..... what are the requirements on that? Is there much of a taste/texture difference?
Regarding your buffalo caliber thread earlier this year,

Have a look at this thread on shooting buffalo.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...falo+placement

Regarding taste, they will all tase pretty much the same, EXCELLENT! Be sure to look after the usual concerns of a quick kill and proper meat handling.

Texture, that's a different beast. Like all wild animals, the younger, the more tender they will be. For eating and a decent volume of meat, I tend to choose a 2 year old cow or bull. Calves are like veal.

The texture on an Old bull (12+ years) would put Goodyear inner tubes to shame. Hamburger and sausage, which is about all you will be able to do with it, will be like eating bits of an eraser. Even pressure cooked stew from a really old bull makes for a bunch of stringy elastic bands.

^^^ FWIW, this info is not from Google.

Is your friend with the tag going to mount the head? If not, maybe a younger buffalo would be the best choice....
Old 10-13-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Horns last longer than meat. Shoot a big one
x2...and for the amount of sheer work, determination, grit, cold weather, fuel, gear, etc, etc you had better shoot a big one if you're going IMO.

For 'just meat', the cost and time would be easier to buy an undersubscribed moose tag and go shoot a young bull, or buy a side of beef or go shoot a bunch of does.

The buffalo hunt is a tough one that requires a pile of work and commitment. Shoot a big one and care for the meat and make it a successful hunt. Having a skull and a hide as memories would be well worth it to me.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Also, good memory, Walking Buffalo

Head will be kept yes. We'll see how things go.

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Regarding your buffalo caliber thread earlier this year,

Have a look at this thread on shooting buffalo.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...falo+placement

Regarding taste, they will all tase pretty much the same, EXCELLENT! Be sure to look after the usual concerns of a quick kill and proper meat handling.

Texture, that's a different beast. Like all wild animals, the younger, the more tender they will be. For eating and a decent volume of meat, I tend to choose a 2 year old cow or bull. Calves are like veal.

The texture on an Old bull (12+ years) would put Goodyear inner tubes to shame. Hamburger and sausage, which is about all you will be able to do with it, will be like eating bits of an eraser. Even pressure cooked stew from a really old bull makes for a bunch of stringy elastic bands.

^^^ FWIW, this info is not from Google.

Is your friend with the tag going to mount the head? If not, maybe a younger buffalo would be the best choice....

Old 10-14-2011, 03:47 PM

Ill be looking for a big old bull to arrow. Ill never get the tag again and I can't see the meat being that bad on a big bull. Can't wait for the -35-45 weather.