Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Default Looking to buy an E collars

I am looking to buy an e collar and I am new to owning a gun dog. So many choices out there right now.
I am thinking that the beeper options is nice to find a dog that is pointing that you may not be able to see.
Most of the place I hunt the visibility is pretty good but I have always been on foot with my partners and we have never had a dog.

I have Wirehaired Pointing Griffon that is 5 months old and strong willed, knows the commands but at times will not come.

Do I really need the most expensive $500 kind? I realize that if the pup is well trained you shouldn't but.

What are hunters using and why?
Old 08-22-2019, 09:02 AM

I have been using the Dogtra 2500 for over three years, and it has been excellent. The beeper is a nice feature to locate your dog in heavy cover, and the beep itself , can be used as a recall on windy days, where it is hard to hear very far. My collar is used every day , as I run my dog every day in the field, and battery life has been excellent.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:20 AM

Also have the Dogtra 2500. Nothing negative to say about it at all.

Wish it had GPS, but that is really more just for my own curiosity to see how many km the pup logs.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:20 AM

I’ve got a bunch of collars at home, some 20 years old. They have all needed batteries and some repair over the years. I have not found that one manufacturer is better than another as far as reliability goes. One company though does stand way above the other in customer service and warranty l, that is Sportdog and that is who I recommend.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:23 AM

I did briefly own a gps collar and it was a real game changer. If you can afford one check them out.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:25 AM

I would recommend a tone to be used as a recall, it's right there near the dog's ears and works wonderfully when your dog is a bit too far, much better than a whistle! I believe a beeper should not be used much as it can damage your dog's hearing and if he is say 80m away in the bush, you won't hear the beeping anyway...
When my Brittany was young, I used the tone button quite a bit to control his range. I used a DT E-collar.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:31 AM

I do not leave the beeper turned on all of the time, I only use it to locate, and recall.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisman View Post

I have Wirehaired Pointing Griffon that is 5 months old and strong willed, knows the commands but at times will not come.

Do I really need the most expensive $500 kind? I realize that if the pup is well trained you shouldn't but.

Sounds like you might have a Crossiron pup? If so, congrats. I got to watch a few of them last weekend and their field work was amazing.

For basic training, the basic models will work fine. It really comes down to which features you would prefer to have. You can really get them as minimal or as fancy as you like. I will back those who have suggested Sportdog as a manufacturer. They make some pretty good (and durable) systems.

I've used a basic model for the last 4 years, but as I now have 2 dogs (one still too small for a collar) I'm having to consider getting a 2-dog system with GPS, which is going to push my budget a bit.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-22-2019, 04:31 PM

If you've got one of Ron's dogs, good on ya, you lucky bugger!!! Great dogs and a great guy.

You can take it to the bank that pup has the right stuff, now it's up to you.

As for e-collar, I watched a buddy's top of the line Garmin, that I used to own, come close to frying his little dog on a water retrieve. For some unexplained reason the bark limiter started going berserk on the poor dog. It was troubling. The owner disabled that feature tootsweet.

I am running a Sportdog 1825 which has been very good, fits in the hand nicely, and is straightforward in its operation. I think they are all pretty good. I have purchased Dogtra electronics for my launchers, and they seem quite robust too.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with Dogtra either. The 1900s is highly regarded, and cheaper than the 2500, but does not have that beeper. I know some guys have it, and like it, as it is useful for locating your dog, but it drives me up the wall when guys leave them on at pheasant releases. I hunt with a fellow who uses one, but thankfully he doesn't leave it on, but uses it to locate his dang good dog who is often locked up solid on point.

Honestly, this is kinda like a Ford vs Dodge vs GM debate. Most work great. Get the one that is priced best, but make sure it has a mile range.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:37 PM

Default Pics

Now post pics of that dog!!!
Old 08-23-2019, 07:22 AM

Default posting a pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Now post pics of that dog!!!
It has been ages since I posted a pic. Can't remember how. I will try to figure it out.
I tried to upload other pics but they seem to large
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piper.jpg (30.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:45 AM

Default retry for some pics

I will try some more pics, not sure about a video
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piper3.jpg (57.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-22-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
If you've got one of Ron's dogs, good on ya, you lucky bugger!!! Great dogs and a great guy.

You can take it to the bank that pup has the right stuff, now it's up to you.

As for e-collar, I watched a buddy's top of the line Garmin, that I used to own, come close to frying his little dog on a water retrieve. For some unexplained reason the bark limiter started going berserk on the poor dog. It was troubling. The owner disabled that feature tootsweet.

I am running a Sportdog 1825 which has been very good, fits in the hand nicely, and is straightforward in its operation. I think they are all pretty good. I have purchased Dogtra electronics for my launchers, and they seem quite robust too.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with Dogtra either. The 1900s is highly regarded, and cheaper than the 2500, but does not have that beeper. I know some guys have it, and like it, as it is useful for locating your dog, but it drives me up the wall when guys leave them on at pheasant releases. I hunt with a fellow who uses one, but thankfully he doesn't leave it on, but uses it to locate his dang good dog who is often locked up solid on point.

Honestly, this is kinda like a Ford vs Dodge vs GM debate. Most work great. Get the one that is priced best, but make sure it has a mile range.
I too am using the Sportdog 1825. Our hound is really strong willed and often would not come as well. After using the tone feature with some positive incentive she learned to associate the tone with good vibes. Has been a very reliable unit to say the least.

I think I payed around $300 for it a few months ago.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:30 PM

Default great deal

This is an exceptional deal...

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/29095...ep-dog-trainer
Old 08-23-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Hard to beat that deal.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisman View Post
I am looking to buy an e collar and I am new to owning a gun dog. So many choices out there right now.
I am thinking that the beeper options is nice to find a dog that is pointing that you may not be able to see.
Most of the place I hunt the visibility is pretty good but I have always been on foot with my partners and we have never had a dog.

Best way to check for quality is to strap it on your neck, waddle around a field and every now and then have the wife zap you for last bad behaviours.....the collar that gets you to respond the best is the one she will allow you to buy

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...