Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2016, 12:25 PM

Default RTM homes

Has anyone had any experience with Ready to Move homes? Particularly BOLD homes?

We are looking at doing a RTM home for our lake lot and would love to talk to someone who has done it before.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-17-2016, 12:37 PM

I know several people who have bought RTM's in the past , not Bold however
All were and are very satisfied with them.
A few from the La Biche area and s couple from Saskatchewan
Cat
Old 12-17-2016, 12:55 PM

Hire someone from your local community to build it.
You support them, they support you, and your community prospers.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:25 PM

Lot's of horror stories too, do your research.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:21 PM

Default .

this IS part of my research. Can you elaborate on horror stories? Companies that involve these horror stories?

I am building in the lac la biche area.. BOLD is a local company.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:24 PM

I haven't gone down the road myself, but I'm sure if bold is local they must have some past customers that you could talk to in the area.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:48 PM

We built a RTM through Nelson out of Lloyd in 2007. I liked the house and they were good to deal with, although the movers that the subcontracted too weren't as pleasant to start with but got better as the day went on.

There are many RTMs that come in pieces. Ours was all one piece and complete inside. I would only go with a complete build. There are many alignment issues hat come with onsite assembly. Often it has to do with foundation not being perfect but sometimes things just aren't put together right from the start.

We lived in our place for 9 years and liked it. No issues with the structure, shifting, or drywall cracks. It was on an ICF basement.

All that said, I would probably go all ICF if I were to build again. Better insulation, very solid, and quieter inside than a conventional build.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-17-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenortherner View Post
this IS part of my research. Can you elaborate on horror stories? Companies that involve these horror stories?

I am building in the lac la biche area.. BOLD is a local company.
I can't because of my work. Google is your friend.

tag words- scam, ripped off, builders, RTM, home, ready to move...

just to name a few
Old 12-17-2016, 07:40 PM

Sent you a PM
Old 12-18-2016, 08:58 AM

Default Rtm

So what is the advantage of an rtm? I can't think of any.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:12 AM

A good RTM can be built indoors in a controlled environment , and moved onto the pad or basement with relative ease .

They are generally a bit cheaper than stick built homes from what I understand .
Cat
Old 12-18-2016, 09:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Pros and cons to both but I went with local builder got my hands involved every step of the way, my money, my house, my way no hidden defects or cutting corners...plus it was a great experience to ensure quality.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-18-2016, 09:32 AM

Bold homes in ft sask aren't that nice. Did a walk thru of a few and I wasn't impressed! Just lay out wise, can't comment on their contractors.

White Russians of Plamondon I believe.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:44 AM
Banned

Try Wade's house movers, you can get a recycled 250000$ house set on a basement for a cool 75000. I just moved one from Calgary to pigeon lake and set it on a iCF walkout. a trailer will only deprecate wile a house will only increase in value (as long as it's maintained)
Old 12-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Banned

Wish I could move my home somewhere warmer, and where utilities cheaper.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A good RTM can be built indoors in a controlled environment , and moved onto the pad or basement with relative ease .

They are generally a bit cheaper than stick built homes from what I understand .
Cat
They also are quicker to move into. While your getting your site prep done they can be building your house to shave off a couple weeks.

The nice thing about being build indoors is you don't have to worry about materials being exposed to weather. How often do you see a rough framed house just sitting all winter, or the days it can't be worked on because of rain? Inside a controlled environment you can negate those issues. Which also helps with move in time because your not loosing days to weather.

If your conscious about the environment, there is less waste with a factory produced house. Everything is set up around efficiency. Duplex I helped build 2 years ago I can't tell you how many materials were wasted even though it was supposed to be a certified green structure. Not all carpenters think to go check the scrap pile. If they need a short section of 2x4 or 2x6 most will just go cut it out of an 8' stud or rip a piece of plywood to fit a small area when there were already cast offs in the scrap pile. We got a whole stack there so who cares right? Its not my money...
Old 12-18-2016, 06:12 PM

Our house was built by Millennium homes by Legal, it came in three pieces and it is very well built, we've been in for nine years and haven't had any problems. Unfortunately they retired from building, we did look at the Nelson homes and are also nice, know a couple of people that bought them and are happy. I've heard of Bold but don't know much about them. At the time when we built, RTM were cheaper than stick built.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
They also are quicker to move into. While your getting your site prep done they can be building your house to shave off a couple weeks.

The nice thing about being build indoors is you don't have to worry about materials being exposed to weather. How often do you see a rough framed house just sitting all winter, or the days it can't be worked on because of rain? Inside a controlled environment you can negate those issues. Which also helps with move in time because your not loosing days to weather.

If your conscious about the environment, there is less waste with a factory produced house. Everything is set up around efficiency. Duplex I helped build 2 years ago I can't tell you how many materials were wasted even though it was supposed to be a certified green structure. Not all carpenters think to go check the scrap pile. If they need a short section of 2x4 or 2x6 most will just go cut it out of an 8' stud or rip a piece of plywood to fit a small area when there were already cast offs in the scrap pile. We got a whole stack there so who cares right? Its not my money...

I assumed the same as you about the wasted materials at an operation like that.
A friend of mine worked for an RTM outfit, and he said they had a fire burning constantly, and all the scraps went into it immediately. He said they'd sheet a roof, and when they got to the end cut off what stuck over the edge, and throw it into the fire (even if the cutoff piece was a 6' section of a sheet of plywood!)
Personally, I don't think there is an advantage to getting an rtm over having someone build your house. The biggest difference is that the rtm company hires salesmen to sell, and has show models for people to walk through, while your regular small builder just gives you a quote.
I see it all the time, people go up to the city "just to look" and the next time I see them they explain that they had to sign a contract that day to get this deal, or guarantee that date, etc.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:53 AM

When we did it in 2009 there was a significant cost savings over a house built on site. Combine that with the difficulties getting trades to show up (remember those halcyon days of '09?) particularly for a rural location, and the RTM route was the best option for us. If costs and timelines had been the same, we would have done the traditional build.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-20-2016, 08:37 AM

Also have one since 2006 its been a great house and at the time save Huge over stick building....bad experience we had was the movers backing into the foundation and being ********s to deal with!

Tags
builder, house