Default Nice

Super! Thanks.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:50 PM

Default Thx.

My Daughter will appreciate this .
And so will I cause i get to spend quality time with her
Old 02-23-2014, 12:46 PM

Smile Awesome

Just convinced my wife to finally take it.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM

Made it easy for my nephew and I to take our time and put him through the course making sure he understood all aspects. I like it.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:46 PM

nice
Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 PM

I know a few people that need this course.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:51 AM

That's cool

I can see the place for taking the Alberta Hunter Education Course on-line because of work schedules, the location of where you can take the course and you can study at your own speed, but the idea of being able to take the test on-line is idiotic. First words out of my wife's mouth were "great, now they can cheat." Those were also my first thoughts also. When I accompanied my son to the course, when he was twelve, if I remember right they handed out three different tests so if you cheated you may have copied from a different test then the one you were writing. I know we want to get hunters out there but shouldn't we want well taught hunters out there.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:23 PM

For me, I prefer going to class than taking the course online. You can get/learn some nice/good ideas from your instructors and classmates
Old 12-19-2014, 10:18 PM

Just curious of the parents that bought this for their kids…did you buy it under your account and does it give you an option before they write their test to enter their info or did you setup an account for them.
Thanks
S
Old 01-18-2015, 07:08 AM

Default AHEIA online

I have just completed the course online and thought it was good and well thought out. I purchased the manual to have a reference book for future use. It's pretty good value really.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Banned

cool
Old 03-27-2015, 08:50 PM

Just finished the course with a 87% got to say was a little worried since the exam questions were more real life oriented. so you had to think about what the question wanted out of you but over all great tool.

On a side note you need to read all the learning tool tips since alot of the questions came from there.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:36 PM

Default Question about Deer Tines!

Hunter Training Question in one of the Knowledge Checks,

" Decide whether the animal being described is a mule deer, a white tail deer, both or neither."

ANTLERS HAVE A MAIN BEAM WITH TINES COMING UP FROM IT

Choices:

Mule Deer
White tail deer
Both
Neither

I answered Both and was wrong I'm so confused.... The correct answer was White Tail Deer. Why? Both have tines don't they? I'm so confused before I challenge their answer I'd like others opinions please!

Thanks

Old 05-28-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMFishing View Post
Hunter Training Question in one of the Knowledge Checks,

" Decide whether the animal being described is a mule deer, a white tail deer, both or neither."

ANTLERS HAVE A MAIN BEAM WITH TINES COMING UP FROM IT

Choices:

Mule Deer
White tail deer
Both
Neither

I answered Both and was wrong I'm so confused.... The correct answer was White Tail Deer. Why? Both have tines don't they? I'm so confused before I challenge their answer I'd like others opinions please!

Thanks

Key words here are "Main Beam". Whitetail have a main beam. Muleys fork out.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:02 PM

Took the class room in Elbow Calgary few years back with my son.
Like others mentioned good refresher for me. Very good group of instructors. If not located in Calgary would look at on line for logicistcs but for me no chance
I have younger boy and girl. The three of us will spend the weekend together in class room
Old 08-18-2015, 02:02 PM

Default How??

I just registered and can't seem to find were to go to write the test. can someone help please?
Old 08-18-2015, 04:55 PM

funny that people are disturbed by the possibility of a person copying the answers out of the book while doing the course online considering that the in-person course has an open book test, or at least it did when I took it.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:50 AM

My son just finished the online course and test last night and got 91% on the test. He was pretty nervous about it, but I sat beside him as he did it and helped explain any questions that he didn't understand. Some of the vocabulary used in the questions is a little beyond an 11 year old, particularly when it comes to the wildlife management. He took his time doing the course, mostly due to summer vacations in places without internet, but he did great.

For those that asked the question about signing up, I created him his own account with all the contact info and stuff in it. When the course is done they use that to generate the certificate of completion which is mailed to the address you provide when making the account.

SS
Old 09-03-2015, 04:34 PM

As I have absolutely zero interest in hunting birds, that waterfowl section was brutal.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:15 PM

Thought the waterfowl section was interesting to include as it is managed federally. I don't think you need a WIN to buy a migratory bird license do you?

SS
Old 09-10-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
As I have absolutely zero interest in hunting birds, that waterfowl section was brutal.

Wait until you spend a morning in the marsh, see a pile overhead, blow the call and watch them turn on a dime towards your spread. 1 time and you're hooked.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Thought the waterfowl section was interesting to include as it is managed federally. I don't think you need a WIN to buy a migratory bird license do you?

SS
To hunt (legally) you need to have a game bird permit, which requires a WIN, in addition to a migratory stamp.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:20 PM

Wholy crap, just passed with 97%.... Am I smart or what?!! LOL!!! I am scared of myself....
Old 09-19-2015, 07:52 AM

Just passed my online course with 95%, going game bird hunting this week👍
Old 10-05-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
My son just finished the online course and test last night and got 91% on the test. He was pretty nervous about it, but I sat beside him as he did it and helped explain any questions that he didn't understand. Some of the vocabulary used in the questions is a little beyond an 11 year old, particularly when it comes to the wildlife management.
Congrats to you and your son. Similar experience with my 12 son when we took the PAL exam recently. Luckily the instructor gave us open privileges that if he had a terminology/vocabulary question that he could ask me to explain.

Now just to get the Hunter Ed cert under the belt...
Old 10-26-2015, 01:16 PM

I am just taking this course just now, hopefully I pass.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:58 PM

Default hunting course

Very wonderful!!! I am looking for one hunting course. I often visit here to read more information about hunting tips
Old 01-09-2016, 03:26 AM

Very Cool
Old 01-10-2016, 12:14 AM

Default Great idea

I think the idea of having the ability to take the course and test online is a great benefit to many who might otherwise not be able , for various reasons, to go to a course in person.
I also gave a reading challenged grandson who , with some reading help, will have no problem with the online course. However he has hesitated to attend a course as he feels self conscious.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:15 AM

When I was 12yoa I took a home study Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course. Basically, reading textbook and doing worksheets. Then tests were mailed to a moderator (my father) who supervised the exam. I thought it was allot of content at the time but was proud of my accomplishment and felt I was armed with the knowledge any average hunter would have. I was very excited to apply for my win card but I was rather surprised that the clerk at Canadian Tire didn't care about my certificate of completion. Nor was I required to provide any evidence that I completed the course, I just checked the box that said, "yes I have completed a hunter training course".
I soon discovered that NONE of my friends/cousins had actually taken the course. They just checked the box, and figured it was good cause their dads would teach them everything. This was rather upsetting. It was also upsetting when I realized that the "Dad version" of the hunter training course was allot different then the "Alberta conservation and hunter education version". For example, in the [I]dad version[I] there is only one species of Grouse, Fool Hens. Another difference is that in the [I]dad version[I] ungulates weigh 2x as much, and bears weigh 3x as much. At first I would try to identify the different birds, but I soon learned not to be a geek. This hunting season, I sat on the roadside with my Bino's and watched someone shoot a 3x3 mule deer, high five their buddy, walk up to it with a big smile and suddenly become very nervous and scared looking.

So yeah, the online hunter training course is good because people at least do SOMETHING!

A Note on Record Keeping:
When I was 18yoa my younger cousin and his friends had an encounter with a Fish & wildlife officer. I was not involved at all. He took their guns and their parents had to come pick the guns up at the fish and game office, no biggy. However, somehow it came up that none of these young men had actually taken the hunter training course, so they had to take the online course before they could hunt again. His older brother who was not involved with the incident also had to take the online course. several months later when I was trying to apply for draws at wholesale sports the clerk said, "you cant apply for draws, you are not eligible to hunt". I ended up contacting the local fish and wildlife Office, they told me I needed to take the hunter training course, by some miracle I found my original certificate of completion and faxed them a copy and I was able to apply for draws that year.
So, how did the fish cop know that my 16yoa cousin hadn't actually taken the course?
Better question, why didn't the local fish and wildlife office know that I actually had taken the course?
My theory: One of the 16 year old kids admitted to the Fish Cop that he hadn't taken a course, followed by confessions from the rest of them. Then they figured that anyone with the same last name or maybe living in the same area must have also Not taken the course, so they froze my account.
It just doesn't make sense. Needles to say, i dont fall for government conspiracy theories cause I don't think the government is competent enough to pull of a conspiracy theory.