Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Banned

Default WSS Liquidation Sale Rant

Wouldn't it be great if a month or so from now, WSS comes out with a news release that say's they have worked things out and are going to remain in business? It would serve some of the vultures I saw today right.
I stopped by today just to see what's happening. Parking lot overflowing, and two very long line ups of 27 and 29 people while I was there. Spoke a bit with the mng. He say's they have had lot's of sales of up to 30% or more and were never very busy. Now that they are closing, it's like a feeding frenzy where people can save 5-10% on almost everything and thats with no store warranty's or returns. Big Whoopie! Very few items were at the max 30% savings (like boat accessories). It should have been funny to see some of these sheeple standing in line for an hour or 2 loaded down with ammo at 5% off when they could buy the same ammo at Canadian Tire for less, but it just sort of made me sad. I guess some people might have saved some money on something they were planning on buying anyways, but for the most part it looked like long lines of grinning fools thinking they're gaining something because of someone else's loss. I think all AB outdoorsmen will have lost something when the doors finally close. I'm hoping it's a marketing ploy to move stale stock.
Rant Over

Last edited by waterninja; 09-15-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:58 PM

I hear you, I stopped at WSS Lethbridge on my way to Beaver Mines. What a f'n joke. Saw one guy with a shopping cartload of ammo at 5% off. Shook my head and walked out. It always amazes me how so many people can get caught up in this crap. The only reason I stopped, was reading on line last night 30% sale. On clothing that has over 100% mark up in the first place. They forgot to mention that I guess.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
I hear you, I stopped at WSS Lethbridge on my way to Beaver Mines. What a f'n joke. Saw one guy with a shopping cartload of ammo at 5% off. Shook my head and walked out. It always amazes me how so many people can get caught up in this crap. The only reason I stopped, was reading on line last night 30% sale. On clothing that has over 100% mark up in the first place. They forgot to mention that I guess.
Maybe WSS Should of adjusted there pricing to attract more customers. Or tried a going out 4 business sale. Maybe they'd of lasted or weathered the storm better.

BW
Old 09-15-2017, 04:07 PM

Same thing in Saskatoon.
Stupidly busy and not much for deals but long lineups for sure
Also,we found out that they don't sell hunt licences there anymore and haven't for awhile. ??!!?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:21 PM

It's like you guys have forgotten or something: many people are idiots, plain and simple, most of the rest are sheep, or cattle if you will. As long as there is a big sign outside and the feeling of scarcity, people will move in. Those who think there will be plenty left comes end of December are kidding themselves. If they play it right, most of the staff will be gone in a month. Almost any other liquidation sale I have ever seen works the same: people run to the cash registers with carts full of staff at still marked up, regular or very little discounted prices.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:28 PM

I will go next week during the morning, I have too, got a gift card to use. Hopefully the rush will be down. Then back near the end for the deals on the un wanted merchandise lol.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:24 PM

Has anyone been at the North Edmonton one today ? I'm guessing it's the same thing going on there.

I talked myself out of buying a shotgun today from there , as my conscience is telling me it's something I don't NEED another one of , and I'm probably not going to save much anyhow.

I'll probably check it out after the feeding frenzy settles down a bit , but not getting my hopes up.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiwa View Post
Has anyone been at the North Edmonton one today ? I'm guessing it's the same thing going on there.

I talked myself out of buying a shotgun today from there , as my conscience is telling me it's something I don't NEED another one of , and I'm probably not going to save much anyhow.

I'll probably check it out after the feeding frenzy settles down a bit , but not getting my hopes up.
I should have mentioned that it was the N Edm. store I was at today.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:28 PM

Default High brow talk!! Go to an auction for a laugh!

Some people may have been scared about the pile of Gift Cards they had from years back, (LIKE MY BABY BROTHER!!!) so they are there unloading them.

Others are plain and simple a Retailer's DREAM!!!!

As a Vanity product ( not just for the ladies any more!!!) Sporting Goods will often have 50 % +++ markup, like fishing lures, clothing, sleeping bags, etc.

We are led to believe the margin on guns is low, but on line in the US most of what we buy up here is at least $250 less, and if you look the spread is way less than what we pay.

Now for a real laugh, go to an Auction. Michner Allen is a great example. If there is a beat to death quad, it will always sell for $2K +, and often up to $4,500 if it looks good. Skidoos for some reason at say RITCHIE BROTHERS, in the hottest days of June, are at least $2,500 for a Rocky Mountain Resorts Surplus Skandic with 8,000 km on it???? And the thing does not start!!!! (Motor Seized).

But alas, for a real kick in the head, its these huge mark ups which have made Walmart such a success worldwide, and they are still making a profit on what they sell.

Drewski
Old 09-15-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Spoke a bit with the mng. He say's they have had lot's of sales of up to 30% or more and were never very busy. Now that they are closing, it's like a feeding frenzy where people can save 5-10% on almost everything and thats with no store warranty's or returns. Big Whoopie!
I understand where you are going with this, but I can't help but think Wholesale themselves were a bit to blame for their sales not attracting many customers. At least my experience with the Regina store that had previously closed, any time they had a sale there was seldom anything applicable in stock. And I'm not talking about the last couple days of a sale either. There were time's they'd have what looked to be a great sale advertised for stuff I needed so I'd make a trip into the city the day the sale started and end up walking out empty handed. And IMO, the store was worse before Cabela's even opened up. They kind of became an afterthought to me, the only reason I'd stop there is if I had time to kill and was driving past it anyway.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:38 AM

Default US shopping vs Domestic purchase

Ordered 3 tree stands from Bass Pro (US)the other day... checked at Bella's...was told 6 weeks until stock arrived. Called Bass pro Calgary and was quoted $250/stand and employee estimated $99 shipping so $850+tax....or $892.50 to my door...called Bass Pro Merica...$150 for the same stand, including duty/freight/taxes, all in to my door $502 USD or $612 Canadian...how can you shop locally(within country) same store over 30% off shopping south of the border...awesome?

PS wholesale has been good for whet I have been seeking over the years...
Old 09-16-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if a month or so from now, WSS comes out with a news release that say's they have worked things out and are going to remain in business? It would serve some of the vultures I saw today right.
I stopped by today just to see what's happening. Parking lot overflowing, and two very long line ups of 27 and 29 people while I was there. Spoke a bit with the mng. He say's they have had lot's of sales of up to 30% or more and were never very busy. Now that they are closing, it's like a feeding frenzy where people can save 5-10% on almost everything and thats with no store warranty's or returns. Big Whoopie! Very few items were at the max 30% savings (like boat accessories). It should have been funny to see some of these sheeple standing in line for an hour or 2 loaded down with ammo at 5% off when they could buy the same ammo at Canadian Tire for less, but it just sort of made me sad. I guess some people might have saved some money on something they were planning on buying anyways, but for the most part it looked like long lines of grinning fools thinking they're gaining something because of someone else's loss. I think all AB outdoorsmen will have lost something when the doors finally close. I'm hoping it's a marketing ploy to move stale stock.
Rant Over
This isn't directed at you personally but against all of you that are white-knighting and virtue signalling in regards to wholesale sports closing. Some businesses fail. That's life. People like bargains. That's life too. People will always speak with their wallets. If there is a chance that a deal will be found, people will go there.

I was there yesterday to see what was on sale and not much was. Did buy the one thing I needed at full price because I needed it. At no point did I have the same thoughts as you.

If wholesale sports wanted to stay in business they would have had to make adjustments to their business model. Obviously they didn't. Who cares.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle_monkey1 View Post
This isn't directed at you personally but against all of you that are white-knighting and virtue signalling in regards to wholesale sports closing. Some businesses fail. That's life. People like bargains. That's life too. People will always speak with their wallets. If there is a chance that a deal will be found, people will go there.

I was there yesterday to see what was on sale and not much was. Did buy the one thing I needed at full price because I needed it. At no point did I have the same thoughts as you.

If wholesale sports wanted to stay in business they would have had to make adjustments to their business model. Obviously they didn't. Who cares.
I don't take it personally, and you make a good point. Buisness is buisness. I also wonder how many people were there to use any gift cards they might have had while they still could.
As for who cares, well I think it does affect anyone who buy's hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. items. I think having WSS helped keep prices a little lower among all sports stores.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:45 PM

The loss of another choice(wholesale sports) is a loss for all outdoorsman.

In Calgary or Edmonton it gave you an additional toy store.

Lethbridge doesnt have a BP or Cabelas and the closing will have a larger impact.

It is sad to see them go. And unfortunate for the employees as well.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Banned

I went yesterday 9am
Not because I expected everything 50% off but because I needed something and believe it or not they are the only ones to have my Leupold in stock.
As a UFA member I had a wildcard and tried to support them whenever I could.
I liked that they dont store PAL info when buying a rifle like Cabelas does.
In general people are going to open their wallets, for 2 reasons: They absolutely need something, or that store is the cheapest. 9 times out of 10 Wholesale Sports did not have what I wanted, and would not get it, or they were more expensive than the competitor. People shop around.
Wholesale Sports was poorly managed. Just like their parent company. That is obvious, but ultimately every dollar we spent at Cabelas drove a nail into the coffin of W.S.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:24 PM

Nanaimo store was busy last night as well. As others have stated not a lot of "bargains". Most everything was only 10% off.

I did pick up an item that I needed for my hiking pack, and was able to use the last of my gift card.

Will probably stop by in a couple of weeks to see if there is anything else I could use.

Mr Conservation
Old 09-17-2017, 12:05 AM

but ultimately every dollar we spent at Cabelas drove a nail into the coffin of W.S................and those people all shop there and complain how WSS did a bad job an on and on meanwhile they are doing most of their shopping at Cabelas or BP. Was in the biz and saw it every day. Consumers can take half the blame the ability of the company to change with the times is the other. People don't buy just because nice guys work there or they always have any longer. Those that think this will die and they are in all retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
I went yesterday 9am
Not because I expected everything 50% off but because I needed something and believe it or not they are the only ones to have my Leupold in stock.
As a UFA member I had a wildcard and tried to support them whenever I could.
I liked that they dont store PAL info when buying a rifle like Cabelas does.
In general people are going to open their wallets, for 2 reasons: They absolutely need something, or that store is the cheapest. 9 times out of 10 Wholesale Sports did not have what I wanted, and would not get it, or they were more expensive than the competitor. People shop around.
Wholesale Sports was poorly managed. Just like their parent company. That is obvious, but ultimately every dollar we spent at Cabelas drove a nail into the coffin of W.S.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 PM

Default wss

Quote:
Rant Over
its like going to an auction and 30 of the same item comes up the bidding goes crazy biding the item up the winners takes one of the items and they start over again bid item up to a sale price and everyone will take 1
Old 09-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Banned

Its actually kinda sad really, I'm old enough to know their history. Frenchy's was my store That i bought my first three guns at. (Lost a 19 inch non typical antelope in the fire) then the went across the street for the fire sale, then along came Barroto's, then it went to east of McLean trail by chinook. Now its death. Sad really.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Its actually kinda sad really, I'm old enough to know their history. Frenchy's was my store That i bought my first three guns at. (Lost a 19 inch non typical antelope in the fire) then the went across the street for the fire sale, then along came Barroto's, then it went to east of McLean trail by chinook. Now its death. Sad really.
Don't mean to be picky but as I recall the first store was Barottos on about 5th Ave & 5th Street downtown established about mid 1960s. One brother was killed in motorcycle crash and other brother moved to 9th Ave & 8 Street brick bldg that had been boarded up for years. Operated as Frenchys till it burned down. Subsequently Wholesale Sports was established and so on. Was an excellent shop in the beginning & many of us oilpatch guys would visit/browse during the lunch hour.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Default Ufa

Go to the UFA in Red Deer. Tell them how much you appreciate them carrying firearms and buy one.. Go into all the rural UFA's and ask them why they don't carry firearms. After all, it is our country heritage that their grassroots are founded on!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:27 PM

Red Deer UFA does not carry guns and has not for several years now! They do carry a bit of ammo but that is it.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 PM

UFA is a cold heartless POS business.

My parents ran UFA here for over 25 years. One day the area manager walked in and said thanks, turn in your keys.

There were a half dozen managers over the next half dozen years, and for years there has been no gas station at all.

I wouldn't care if UFA went bankrupt. They suck.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-20-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC View Post
Don't mean to be picky but as I recall the first store was Barottos on about 5th Ave & 5th Street downtown established about mid 1960s. One brother was killed in motorcycle crash and other brother moved to 9th Ave & 8 Street brick bldg that had been boarded up for years. Operated as Frenchys till it burned down. Subsequently Wholesale Sports was established and so on. Was an excellent shop in the beginning & many of us oilpatch guys would visit/browse during the lunch hour.
I first remember Barottos was across from Chinook Mall in a Texaco gas station. Back wall was some guns and ammo.

Dodger
Old 09-20-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam3 View Post
Go to the UFA in Red Deer. Tell them how much you appreciate them carrying firearms and buy one.. Go into all the rural UFA's and ask them why they don't carry firearms. After all, it is our country heritage that their grassroots are founded on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy 454 View Post
Red Deer UFA does not carry guns and has not for several years now! They do carry a bit of ammo but that is it.
This is true. They got out of firearms a long time ago. Even their employees said it was a terrible move. Management would not listen and told them that is why we have wholesale sports. Even though the closest wholesale sports was close to 2 hours away.

Anyways the liquidation is BS. A waste of time and prices not even as good as a regular sale.

As for their business, I found their service very lacking. Their were very few good employees that actually cared enough to help their customers. Saying that there also were some EXCELLENT employees who went out of their way to help.

Regardless this sucks. THe management did not run the stores very well and as usual it will be the employees and society that will have to pay.

It would be nice to see the UFA's start carrying firearms and sporting supplies again. Then maybe some of these people could transfer there!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:26 PM

Before the move to inglewood frenchys was in montgomery, a block away from home road and bowness road at the bottom of the hill in that tiny strip mall near 49th street. Thats where i used to buy my fishing supplies when i was going to university in the early 70s
Old 09-20-2017, 04:58 PM

Does anyone know if they have any decent deals on a handheld gps or is it not worth the trip?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfong View Post
Before the move to inglewood frenchys was in montgomery, a block away from home road and bowness road at the bottom of the hill in that tiny strip mall near 49th street. Thats where i used to buy my fishing supplies when i was going to university in the early 70s
Frenchys was at that location on 9th Avenue for as long as I can remember. That store in Montgomery was Bears Paw Sports owned by Rick Bryne.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I first remember Barottos was across from Chinook Mall in a Texaco gas station. Back wall was some guns and ammo.

Dodger
That was Manchester sports that you remember,
Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
That was Manchester sports that you remember,
You may be right. How old are you

But did it not become Barottos when it moved?

Dodger