Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2010, 06:53 AM

Default nuvi gps

Seen a few stores selling the nuvi garmin gps on sale for $150.
just wondering if anyone bought one and are they any good or should should i go up a few models. (not sure of the spelling Nuvi )
Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 AM

You're correct with "Nuvi".

I have a 360 (I think). For what they're used for, they're VERY handy. Even the most basic models are great.

You can find updates for them on torrents.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:30 AM

Default nuvi

I got one at Crappie Tire a few weeks ago, on sale for a really good deal. It is a 255. It is amazing. It is quite good even out in the boonies; I was surprised it gave me great directions through a number of towns population 20 or less.

Prior to this, I went through 3 cheapos at XS Cargo (never again). Those ones showed me driving through farmers fields on the yellowhead, listing me 2 km of the road at times. A number of times it said I arrived at destination 300km from the destination. JUNK!!!!

But the nuvi is great. It has all of the mapping capabilities with most of the functions of a handheld I use for the back country.....you can mark waypoints, your favourite fishing hole etc.

I have been impressed so far.

YKD
Old 04-11-2010, 10:26 AM

I've had a Nuvi 1310 I think is the model since Christmas. She's kind of a bossy old broad, but hasn't got me lost yet. I wanted it for the city but have only been there once to try it seemed to work well. The Nuvi's seem to have the best reviews.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:31 AM

I have been told to get one that supports a micro SD card.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned

cant remember which model I have but I absolutely love it, wouldnt go back to not having one. Its actually pretty good in bush, shows a lot of logging roads and oil roads. I also have the oiltrax program. Im looking at getting a new one because I have been reading that some of them you can now save a few routes? Now sure if its true or not. I have 80,000km on mine and it still works like the day I bought.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:51 AM

A few from my family have different NUVI models and love them. They say all models are good just make sure it is a NUVI and not someone else
Old 04-11-2010, 11:45 AM

I have the Nuvi 255, it travels with me all the time. Last summer they closed Hwy. 16 in the middle of Prince George and no detour signs. Instant re route on the GPS avoiding the giant mess. Very useful and worth the money whichever model you buy. I have several other Garmin GPS units and the user interface is better than other manufacturers.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 PM

I have the Nuvi 250. It helps but it certainly isn't perfect. I'm told that only abut 80% of addresses are loaded. I have had many a time where I could not load an address with places that have been there 20 years. In fact mine doesn't know who Western Cycle is in Edmonton and it has been there a very long time. They help but they can be very frustrating as well. We call the voice, "loser" because she is always losing here way. The other thing I found is that that Garman customer service is useless. They don't respond and I don't think they care.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 PM

I have the Nuvi 550 - the one they call the 'cross-over'. It has an 8 hour battery, is waterproof and will take a microSD card. I also bought the western Canada topo SD card for it, so I can switch back and forth from the regular NUVI street maps to topo maps.

It does all the GPS things I need it to do - both driving and hunting. It saved my partner and I from spending a night in the boonies last fall. While packing out a deer in the pitch dark we used it to walk out right on the route we had taken in - accurate in topo mode to within a couple of feet.

I highly recommend it.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:58 PM

I just noticed that Cosco.ca has a couple of Nuvis on sale, including the Nuvi 550 for $220 - until April 25th.
That's a heck of a good price!